Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Coffee and Lobster - a review????
g00fba11
Posting Freak

Mood: Happy to be alive!

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 03:33 AM
Coffee and Lobster - a review????

I took my son (aka Chips) and our new puppy Coffee out to the soccer fields today not so much to test and review a kite but to test and check out our puppy Coffee's first time reaction to a power kite and the gear that goes along with it.....

I didn't want to take any of my arcs out for this test just in case he got excited and decided the kite was a big chew toy for him......

So enter my free Pansh Adam..."The Lobster"...a fitting sacrifice if need be to expose my puppy to the world of kiting......if he chews that up.....no problem...no loss.....I used a 5 year old set of Pansh lines that I had loaned to Thanson2001ok at NABX and that Dino had sorted out when he had kite problems and found out that none of the lines were the same length and that there was a 4 inch difference in length between the longest and shortest line.....I didn't care.....it was a Pansh.....and we were here to check Coffee out....not test a Pansh.......

Here is a short video of our very short session......(thanks to the heat and me forgetting to bring a dish and some water for Coffee)

Coffee did outstanding....he showed no interest in the kite when I walked him around it and smacked the kite trying to make noise that would get him to pounce on it.....nope....he just ignored it.......
I walked him back down the lines to the pile of kite gear I had brought out....he sniffed around.....but again no interest.....I stuck him in the kite buggy....you guessed it no interest....
I tried to give hime a ride.....he didn't freak out....it was like he was bored.....no interest.....

I had my son walk him down to a spot I could fly the kite to the edge of the window and see if I could get a reaction.....I asked him to keep a light hand on the leash so Coffee could take off if he wanted to......

I also asked him to call out wind speeds because this Adam Lobster kite thingy was displaying a surprising ability to just hang at the edge of the window and not drop out of the sky.....

We had wind that was ranging from 4mph to 7mph with gusts to a whopping 10mph and occasional drop offs to null.....BTW this was the 3.5m Lobster.....but I didn't want big wind....this was Coffee's day to rip up a kite if he was so inclined.....

Anyway.....I continued to try to tease Coffee with the Lobster at the edge of the window to no avail.......

Well.....now that I have my tongue out of my cheek......I just want to say that I have been playing with the Lobsters on my Ozone 4 line bar with a good set of lines and the Lobster kite does a great job.....the couple of times I have been out with it have been static to work my shoulders and get loosened up more from my accident back in April. I keep trying to find fault in these kites, trying to get them to crash, luff and do the funky chicken like the Pansh kites of the past.

Not these Lobsters.....they are light years ahead of the old Pansh quality......the material is a bit different than any of my arcs but I attribute that to the water proof rip stop Pansh is using. I have purposefully turned them nose down into the ground.....about the only way I have found to crash them......(they are taking the beating in stride)........they are so easy to keep up in the air.....

I would like to try one of these on an Ozone turbo bar.....I think they would do outstanding with that set up especially for beginning ATB. I am also tempted to play with converting the Lobster I was ready to let Coffee chew up, to a depow bar......may be a grandios idea.....but it would be fun......

IMHO the Flux began Pansh's transition to quality.....looks like they have a winner with the Lobster.....(I know, I know.....it's called the Adam....but flyjump will always be the only Adam in my book)........

In summary......I started on Pansh.....had some bad times with Pansh.....poo poo'd Pansh.....recommended a couple of Pansh kites, skeptically kept an eye on Pansh as gateway kites into the sport for those on a tight budget......and now have tested, although be it limited and with tongue in cheek, the new Lobster......
I have to say we need to add this kite to our list of beginner kites.....a very easy fly......it won't fall out of the sky at the edge if you over fly......you can easily make it sit at the edge even with a crap set of lines and no adjustments made to the handles, lines or kite......pretty fool proof.......but then again......

I am the g00fba11.....:lol: and yes....I have some Pansh in my quiver......

After a certain Vortex finds its way home......and I land my crab......An Aurora may be finding its way over here for some testing in the snow......

:wee:
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 05:54 AM

Nice! Yah for dog!
"It's just a Pansh" :lol:

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 06:42 AM

You seem to have gotten a much better "kite dog" than I have. My dog is terrified of a flying kite!

Also that's good news that Pansh is moving up the evolutionary ladder. Good on you for keeping an open mind about them. I flew a half dozen of them years ago and moved on to never look back. Maybe they are ready for prime time now.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 11:35 AM

Yup - when the guys were over a few weeks ago I took the dog out to the field to drop a load of gear. Took my eyes off her for a split second and she'd disappeared. She ran home.

Thing is she used to be fine and I have no knowledge of what may have happened to spook her now. Enjoy it! Coffee is a lucky cat....er.....pup.

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
pyro22487
Posting Freak

Mood: Went kiting....Still suffering from withdrawls

[*] posted on 8-7-2012 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeamerBob
You seem to have gotten a much better "kite dog" than I have. My dog is terrified of a flying kite!

Also that's good news that Pansh is moving up the evolutionary ladder. Good on you for keeping an open mind about them. I flew a half dozen of them years ago and moved on to never look back. Maybe they are ready for prime time now.

Did you try doing what I did in my post about my pooch being afraid of kites?

go fly a kite trainer 1.4 m
thunderfoil 9 ft.
Flexi sting 1.7m
Ozone flow 2.0 m
PL Vapor 3.2 m
Ozone Flow 5 m
PLVapor 6.5 m
frenzy 14.0 m
rocfighter
Posting Freak

Mood: Elimenate warning signs, Promote natural selection

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 03:54 AM

OK why "The Lobster"? and a great day for Coffee. Except Dad forgot water:no: Lesson for next time. The kite looks nice and the Pup looks great. Gonna be big though HUH?

NAPKA # US65
HQ ApexII 7.5
Skydog/ SDT2.8, SDT4.0, SDT5.5, SDF3.0

Pansh Ace 5.0 X2
North Husky 6.0
PL Guerilla 13, 18
PL C-Quad 2.3, 3.2, 4.2
Home made Rat Buggy
Libre V Max on barrow Plus wider taller sand tires & bigfoot front end
Blades Of Death, \"thanks Fran\"
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-7-2012 at 05:17 PM

How do you deflate the Adam ?

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
rocfighter
Posting Freak

Mood: Elimenate warning signs, Promote natural selection

[*] posted on 24-7-2012 at 05:23 AM

I imagine it would have reverse vents in the trailing edge. Tuck them in to inflate and pull them out to deflate. At least that is what my North Husky has.

NAPKA # US65
HQ ApexII 7.5
Skydog/ SDT2.8, SDT4.0, SDT5.5, SDF3.0

Pansh Ace 5.0 X2
North Husky 6.0
PL Guerilla 13, 18
PL C-Quad 2.3, 3.2, 4.2
Home made Rat Buggy
Libre V Max on barrow Plus wider taller sand tires & bigfoot front end
Blades Of Death, \"thanks Fran\"
abkayak
Posting Freak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 24-7-2012 at 08:05 AM

good dog........will these kites water relaunch?? or dont count on it?? so cheep $$$ trying to justify a purchase.

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
g00fba11
Posting Freak

Mood: Happy to be alive!

[*] posted on 29-7-2012 at 08:18 AM

@rocfighter "Lobster" is what Pansh nicknames the Adam on their website when you read the description......

@Bladerunner.......deflating the Adam is not as easy as I would like it.....no release vents/zips.....so you just roll it up and squeeze the air out.....not to bad.....I am sure Pansh did this as a cost savings.....there are no reverse vents in the TE......

@abkayak now that I have my lines adjusted correctly it does relaunch on the land quite nicely. You would need to use the same technique in the water where you get it to reverse up onto a wing tip and fly it up on the handles.....I have not tried a reverse launch on the 4 line bar yet....wish this little guy was a depow or had a bar setup similar to the new Scout.......I am still looking into modding this kite for a depow bar......for the price I think it would be worth a shot.....you would def want to get your relaunch technique down pat first......but I see the Adam having no issues in the water.....a good kite to learn body dragging and kite position with or for general goofing around........neither size will get you up on a board.....IMHO

and Coffee continues to do great around kites......his only glich is that he likes to run in front of me and jump up on me. We are going to try to work this out with a small kite and Coyotes so we have good control and don't get rolling much so he can get used to the fact he needs to stay off to the side.

I need to look at Susan's pooch carrier a bit closer.....I see one coming soon......

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio