Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: IKON KITES REVIEW
crabnebula

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 1-12-2012 at 05:37 PM
IKON KITES REVIEW

IKON KITES (open celled foils)

Ive had the 8m 10m and 12m for the last year...yes I am a team rider, but I'm an instructor also, and I make it my business to inform student, not dictate, what kites are out there and what they do differently from one another (pro's and con's) and allow each student to decide what is best for them. With that, here we go.......

To start, the kites all come complete. Bar, lines, and kite with a killer backpack.

The Bar:
The bar ends are glued and riveted. Very strong.
The bar has a center "square", to help with one handed steering, kinda standard these days but you'd miss it if it was not there,.. Great Grip all around as well as color coded sides for the quick visual reference. The center hole is stainless steel and pretty darn smooth reducing friction on the SK-75 braided dyneema center lines.
The flying lines are also colored for the typical left-red right-blue system, only they are orange and grey respectively. The center lines are grey as well. They are very easy to ID on the ground be it snow, dirt , or grass....and very easy to untangle should that happen.
The QR (quick release) on the "lines to kite", above the bar as well as the trimming system (webbing with ladder lock buckles) all are in nice reach for me and work very effectively. They are also pretty easy to "re-load" should they pulled in high winds.

I'm 5'6 with a 1 inch "ape index"...in other words my arms are one inch longer then my overall body height....so I can reach farther then I stand high. The bar functions very well for me and other riders/student with longer and shorter arms alike.

The bar is very much like the Ozone bar as the chicken loop and chicken loop keeper stick, are right there, in your hands if needed. They release with a very easy amount of pull, but may be a bit stiff when new. They brake in quick. There is a nice leash ring to clip into for unhooked riding that is made of stainless steel on the chicken loop as well.

The Back has strap on the side and backside to facilitate both skis and snowboards and can certainly work great in the mountains as a tightly packed kite, still leaves enough room to bring all the gear you would need for a day out kiting in the mountains. I think that the webbing is a little stiff to pull through the buckles, but they work.

So with out comparison.

The KITES.

They are all Black and White....just right! They all have velcro to let out the sand or snow (or bugs) on the wingtips trailing edge. The cells are covered with mesh to keep things like snow, bugs and little gnomes out.

IKON LAZY $950 usd
The 8m Lazy is a very, very, stable kite. In strong gusty winds the kite handle like a dream (R.E.M. style) making it my go to mountain kite and storm kite. It is also a super awesome kite for the rider who is making the transition into de-power foils. It has great de-power, or "throw" in the bar and yet still light bar pressure, considering it is not on a 4:2:1 bridle set up. This means that the compound complex pulley (CCPS) system (2 pulleys each side) in most Ozone and HQ kites are NOT on this kite, but only this kite...the 8m the 10 and 12 have a typical for these days 4:2:1 set up....which basically means light bar pressure and still the same "throw" for de-power.

*What a 4:2:1 does, is mechanically distribute load from the kites pull and distribute the load, mechanically so that you feel less in the bar (you get less tired and less "kiters elbow").

The IKON LAZY is so dead on perfect in balance, power, and stability. It is SO good with out the CCPS, it is fast turning, very stable on the edge of the window, and super consistent when doing kiteloops and powered kiteloop freestyle tricks. Although some 8-9 m kites out there could "pivot" in turns any where in the window, the IKON Lazy turns fast enough (pivoting) but without loosing the stability, which I see often with other kites I have as the wing tips fold in at the edge of the window. The LAZY does not do this.

Im very happy with the durability of this kite (and all the IKON kites) as well. As there are no sewn in "tabs" (typical on most foils closed or open celled) that connect to the bridles lines...rather it is sewn as a one peice "zig-zag" within the individual internal cells "popping out", so to speak to accept the bridle line. So after a few missed handle passes on the mountain board....and having the kite crash on hard sand....leading edge down, CERTAIN the center cells would have been blown out, I was pleasantly surprised to see the kite had no such wounds.

May I add, kiting last winter and getting up on Mount Washington here in NH I was really glad to report that the kite packs up really small and weighs little enough to not be bothered by the kite in the pack as it is at times a good 2 hours to skin up to the goods!

IKON PATROL 10m $1050 usd
currently out of stock as this kite rocks!

All I can say is MOM.....now, flip your computer screen or lap top upside down and you'll read WOW...

This kite does have the CCPS, it also has the speed of any foil that you can find on the market that loops for freestyle and mountain climbing. It is light on the bar hard in the pull and is definitely my GO TO kite for doing hard days pushing freestyle and going uphill fast. It is very very stable everywhere in the window. It can be a LITTLE (note just a little) finicky relaunching, so you need to be careful to line yourself up with the wind so its really at your back as on the edge of the window, it tends to have a bit of trouble getting the "cavity creation" to push wind into the cells....but Ive only had to walk out to the kite a few times to open it up like a hoarse shoe to get a clean launch.

Teaching power kiting and snowkiting (in NH, ME, NY, and MA) with this kite, it has created a stream of responses that all lean towards the desire to purchase this kite. It is really user friendly but still has the performance to do virtually anything you want with a kite....almost.

Over all this kite is, for any ability level, a super great kite. If you had to get ONE....this might be the ticket.

IKON 12m Rafael. $1150 usd

Man this kite is a trip as you need to get a round trip ticket or you may not come down....

The days that Ive had this out have been light light winds on soft snow, hard snow, soft sand, hard sand,grass, dirt, even water... and every time the winds go up, get kinda strong and I am getting HUGE air and super constant pull from everywhere in the window. It can kiteloop pretty darn good although on a few kite 720 kiteloops, I felt that my timing was a little off as the kite was not done rotating, as I was plummeting back down for the landing. So a little adjustment to pulling the trigger in the rotations, and presto, the kite is killing it!

This kite for entry level folks (as the Patrol is too) is a great kite to grow in your ability and gain the confidence needed to progress into light winds or high jumps.

It is for a larger person not a light wind kite, but rather a super high jumping kite for the hills and flats alike.

So over all, my impressions......from a comparative stand point...

The Summit from Ozone, the older and newer Mantas, Frenzy's the new HQ Montana, Speeds....Ikon fits a slot that allows a slip shot. It fills the gap for a high performing kite, with the ability for a beginner to easily grow into the kite. I would be inclined to say that the IKON kites are almost a mix of Frenzy or Montana that got married to a Manta or Summit, had a kid, and the named it IKON.....

More later as IKON grows,....so will I and I'll update you.

FYI

IKON also has a line up of LEI's the Blind and the Peak

Check out the web site and read more on those...more to come later.

http://www.ikon-kiteboarding.com/en/product/snowkite

New England Kite Lessons
http://www.kiteboardne.com/

New England Kite Mountaineering
http://www.ime-usa.com/imcs/snow_kiting.html

USA IKON-KITEBOADING Team Rider
http://www.ikon-kiteboarding.com/index.php?option=com_virtue...
Kober
Posting Freak

Mood: More kiting !!!

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 08:50 AM

good job Zeb ....

New Jersey Kite Addicts
NAPKA US-212

2021 Eleveight FS .........10......12
2021 Eleveight XS .........14
Gin Zulu II / III .........5...7
Gin Sherpa .......10
Gin Yeti ..........4.5
Gin Tonkawa ..........3.1...4.1...5.4...6.8...8.7...11.5...15.4
Liquid Force ELITE .... 6m
Flysurfer Speed4 Lotus 18m
Flysurfer Sonic-FR .... 9 ....11....18m
Flysurfer Sonic2 .....11....15m

2016 Nobile Zen Hydrofoil with Infinity 5.1' splitboard
2019 Nobile 2HD with Ronix One boots
2020 Nobile NHP split foil with Ronix Parks boots
MG Supra ......... pulling KiteTrike

....... My videos!
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 03:31 PM

I may be slow, but I can't follow what you are saying about the mixers. The Ikons do have 2 pulley mixers or don't or do on the 10 and 12but don't on the 8? Can you clarify?

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
crabnebula

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 04:51 PM

the 8 has a 2:1.....the 10 and 12 have 4:2:1

New England Kite Lessons

crabnebula

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 04:52 PM

oh sorry that means one pulley on the 8m LAZY

and 2 Pulley's per side on the 10m PATROL and the 12m RAFAEL

New England Kite Lessons

B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 2-12-2012 at 05:33 PM

Thanks

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
pelzy1

[*] posted on 14-12-2012 at 02:19 PM

If you were to buy 2 of these foils for a quiver which would it be? 8, 12? or 6, 10?

Have you had a chance to fly the blind or peak?
tototo

[*] posted on 25-3-2013 at 11:40 PM

my boy is learning with the compact 2mē, a great one secure, and easy to handle !!!

crabnebula

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 08:54 AM

tototo.....
I would ask what are the winds like where you are and what are you looking to do.

I prefer the 8 and 12 if I had to have 2 kites.
But where I am Im in light winds (12m) and or heavy winds (8m)

Im still using all the IKON foils on the boards (mountain) and they are all still hard core and hanging in there.

I m excited to see that the new kite the Empire from IKON is on the way in production as the testing is near complete.

The IKON foil line up is going to be really hard to beat with the intro/int foils.....Micro 4m to the Rafael 12m, ......to the super fast hard charging Empire in 8, 10, and 12 m sizes

pretty exciting to see a company that is out there making a full line up of fast durable LEI's, Foils, and all home grown style...meaning its not a HUGE corporation (yet?) making these kites and designing these kites but rather a few guys that really care about the sport and want to have kite design and manufacturing in their own way be made for the kiter by the kiter!

New England Kite Lessons

shortlineflyer

[*] posted on 18-9-2013 at 02:01 PM

I want to start learning freestyle atb but am not too thrilled about the super high jumps, but you said the rafael is good for light wind, i weigh about 1190lb and usually fly in 7 mph and up

Elliot Kites sigma 360 --- Rev Blast 2-4 --- HQ Scout 5.0 --- HQ Crossfire II 10.0 --- HQ hydra 350
2010 Liquid Force Havoc 10m -- Slingshot ranger 12m -- Peter Lynn Scorpion 16m -- EH Cabarete Freestyle

MBS Elements mountainboard
MBS atom cruiser (stake trucks and wheels)
Peter Lynn XR+ kite buggy (std wheels and wide treads)
KiteTrike
shortlineflyer

[*] posted on 18-9-2013 at 02:04 PM

I was also looking at the manta I 12m or the Manta II 15m

Elliot Kites sigma 360 --- Rev Blast 2-4 --- HQ Scout 5.0 --- HQ Crossfire II 10.0 --- HQ hydra 350
2010 Liquid Force Havoc 10m -- Slingshot ranger 12m -- Peter Lynn Scorpion 16m -- EH Cabarete Freestyle

KiteTrike
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 18-9-2013 at 02:04 PM

Super high jumps can be avoided by less aggressively redirecting the kite behind you. If you redirect it from 10 or 2 to 12 and pull in you get lower, skippy jumps. If you whip it from 10 to 1 or 2 to 11 and pull in you pop up much faster and higher.

Its not an exact science but the slower the redirect and the closer it is to 12 and not beyond will limit the amount of lift.

shortlineflyer

[*] posted on 21-9-2013 at 09:32 AM

so, manta or rafael, I am not the one that is buying it, but someone is trying to get me a kite and I am trying to figure out which would be the best choice

KiteTrike

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio