Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What could have prevented this accident?
Bladerunner

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by generotti
I have jumped a little bit in the past but it's not really my thing. I have a ATB that I usually fly with but my skills aren't all there yet haha

This is the right time to ask questions. Before you buy the kite that can kill you.

This could have happened to some degree with any kite. It could also happen when jumping on ATB.

The kite is a 5m Ace . A knock off of the widowmaker. Too small for jumping and prone to collaps. IMHO

The only time something like this has happened to me I had a 10.8 kite and managed to ride it out thanks to having a good canopy above me.

Flysurfer say in their manual that if this happens relax and trust that you have a paraglider but they don't sell 5m kites.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
pbc

Mood: Updated, edited, and published

[*] posted on 2-12-2013 at 08:59 PM

How to prevent it? Talk to people that jump 'cause they know how. Talk to people that don't jump because they'll tell you why those other guys are nuts.

Jumping has a strange appeal. People ask me about it almost as much as they ask that other question**. It pains me to answer it because I fear their motivations. The last thing I want to do is discourage someone from kiting but I want to discourage these folks, because I fear I will see them featured infamously in a youtube video some day.

It pains me also because I have friends who jump and do it well. They know their stuff, go big, and stay safe. I feel like I am saying they are dumb when I scare people away from kite jumping. Truth is some of the jumpers--the ones that consistently walk off the field--are very smart and very experienced.

And please no one jump to the erroneous conclusion that jumping will make you an awesome flyer. It is diversity of experience that makes an awesome flier. Jumping is but one facet in that infinite diversity. Jumping wil make you a better flier, but you better be a damn good one before you start jumping. Otherwise you'll be cripple before you achieve greatness.

Philip

**"How much does that cost?"

I fly: Charger II 6.5m * Charger II 8m * Charger II 10m * Scorpion 10 (for sale) * Phantom II 12m * F-Arc 1200 * Venom 13m

I ride: Peter Lynn XR+ on Midis * Flexifoil Midi/Barrow * Peter Lynn Comp on Barrows * Peter Lynn XR+ (needs a fork)

I build: Custom bars for buggy pilots

I write about kite stuff: at http://philipbchase.com

Philip Chase
p8ntballsk8r

[*] posted on 3-11-2013 at 05:38 PM

I'm surprised there is not more info on what to do when you're in that "OMG I'm way too high" moment. Early in my kiting career I was showing my friend my kite for the first time. I found out my limitations that day when I jumped with a 12m kite on a 30 knot wind. I felt like I was 25 feet up (probably less of course because of my perspective and what not). As I came down for the landing, I did what logically made sense. I put the kite and 12 and pulled in the bar to increase lift. As I approached the ground I had my knees just slightly bent and prepared to relax them upon impact. Once My legs hit, I fell to the side and allowed my thigh, then him, then torso to hit the ground. I spread the impact out over as much of my body and over as much time as I could. My kite when looping and picked up and threw my twice before I could react and pull the safety. Overall I know that I was lucky. What else can be done with the kite to protect yourself on descent?

Watching the tophat video I'm wondering if he could have looped the kite a few times to bring him out over the water, how else can we soften the landing when you find yourself uncomfortably high, or out of control with your board/legs no longer under you?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio