Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 8.6m PL Reactor II: busted bridle update
soliver
Posting Freak

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 3-8-2013 at 08:45 PM
8.6m PL Reactor II: busted bridle update

I recently got the funds and the clearance from ground control so I was able to grab a used 8.6m PL Reactor II. I got with Angus with the intent of either a new 8m Toxic or a used Reactor II if he could locate one. Angus just so happened to have one of his own that he parted with for a reasonable price (unfortunately since I live in GA I had to pay sales tax :no: ). It's the blue, gray and white model, and it is HUGE...
Many many big thanks to Angus for all the help and thanks to Beamer Bob for his advice and experience.

The first shot is in my living room, and the other two are taken in one of the larger gathering rooms at the church where I work. Many of these rooms are big enough that I can lay out a new kite (on my lunch break) and attach the lines and pack it up in my preferred method. You can really get a good perspective on its size in these pics.

I know theres really not a great deal to telling you all about a kite that is no longer in production, but I wanted to share my impressions and tell you all my thoughts in case anyone out there has the opportunity to grab up one of these monsters. Plus it's fun to show off my new toy :smilegrin:

I had my first static flight with it on Thursday and I don't have to tell you that the RII is awesome. In spite of its size, it still turns relatively fast and pulls like a truck even in 4 mph winds. I could just kinda tell that the wind was somewhere between 0-6 mph, and even in that light wind, i was still scudding 10-20 ft. I could feel it lifting with the gusts but it was a relatively light lift and easy to manage. This kite is really a work-out in every sense of the word, and I can tell you that even 2 days later I can still feel it in my upper body. Much like my 5.5m, the 8.6m is primarily front line biased, but it does seem like the 8.6m tolerates the brakes a little more... I can't wait to try it out in the bug.

Angus gave it to me on a set of Flexi Pro-Links, and sent along a set of PL Longhorn handles if I wanted them. Flying them on the Pro-Links I'm not sure I like the extra weight, and am thinking I might try the PL handles. As much of a bear as it was, I didn't think the extra weight of the Pro-Links to be beneficial, plus the extra leverage of the Longhorns seems like it would help out.

I'm not sure how the RII compares with the Reactor 2013, but it seems like there's not a whole lot to improve, so maybe its just new graphics,... Maybe someone can chime in on what makes the newer version different.

Thanks for reading along gang,
Spencer

I'm going to take a nap now
3shot
Posting Freak

Mood: JIBE Talkin'

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 06:29 AM

Thanks for the review bro! Can't wait to get my same color 6.9 in the air beside that one :D
The 6.9 is no joke with the freight train aspect. I can only imagine the 8.6 :o :tumble:
You might as well snag up BigMike's 10.8m RII as well :thumbup: :evil:

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24
4, 5, 6m ATB landsurfer. Custom longboard deck
Buggy: VTT Black Widow v2.0

http://hint.fm/wind/

soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 06:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 3shot  
Thanks for the review bro! Can't wait to get my same color 6.9 in the air beside that one :D
The 6.9 is no joke with the freight train aspect. I can only imagine the 8.6 :o :tumble:
You might as well snag up BigMike's 10.8m RII as well :thumbup: :evil:

Actually, I've been told by both Angus and Markite that the 8.6m has almost the same wind range as the 10.8m and works a little quicker, so I'll likely forego that size.

Maybe eventually I'd get something in the 6.9m or 3-3.5m size but that is yet to be seen. And it will be a while yet.

3shot
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 07:41 AM

I hear ya! I've had to hold back hard on a few killer deals here. Really wanting something in the 5m ish range as a higher performance engine. Trying to save all my extra cash for the end of the year buggy upgrades :borg:
Hope you get a good wind day soon to catch some vid of your new baby :thumbup:

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24

BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 08:01 AM

I've ridden with Angus at Jekyll using our 8.6s and they are awesome kites. You will have lots of fun with this one. Getting the 10.8 will only really come into play if you only have a steady 4 mph and not 6. The 8.6 is more fun to fly too.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeamerBob  
I've ridden with Angus at Jekyll using our 8.6s and they are awesome kites. You will have lots of fun with this one. Getting the 10.8 will only really come into play if you only have a steady 4 mph and not 6. The 8.6 is more fun to fly too.

HAH... We don't have steady ANYTHING around here :smilegrin:

soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 01:54 PM
1st time in the bug... DRAT

So I had the 8.6m RII out in the bug for the first time today and had a few good runs:

The wind fluctuated between nothing and somewhere around 6-7mph. With a lot of lulls. It really performed very well. I moved the lines onto the PL longhorn handles like I mentioned, and I really prefer those. I was able to get a few runs back and forth across my field in spite of the cruddy wind and with the RII's GREAT turning ability I was able to do some very effective down turns even in the lighter winds as well as some downloops as well for that awesome power boost to get moving. So the 8.6m RII gets a BIG A+++ on performance and ease of use, as I never really fought with the kite, only with the poopy wind.

Unfortunately, there was a lull where the kite sank to the ground in a wad. I was able to get it back off the ground with a great deal of back stepping.But during my efforts to recover the right wingtip collided with the buggy where it caught on the front fender which cut the bridle ending my day on a sad note. :no:

It looks like an easy replacement job, I just have to locate or have someone reproduce the right length and weight of bridle material. I've contacted Angus who is going to get in touch with Peter Lynn and I also have an email into fixmykite.com, so we'll see what comes of it.

Please feel free to leave suggestions on the bridle replacement and thanks for reading.

Spencer

3shot
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 02:10 PM

Oh man that bridle snap sucks!!!!
Sorry bro. Hope they get you fixed up soon.

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24

soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 02:16 PM

I don't think it'll be that big of a deal,... We'll see how it turns out.

3shot
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 02:32 PM

Do you think there will be a difference in each side from any stretch?
Just curious.

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24

knkmannthey

Mood: Looking for wind

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 03:47 PM

Damage does not look that bad. I cut my dad kite line one Time like that. Buggys are sharp

FLEXFOIL 7m Bullett
Peter Lynn 2.6m Viper S
Peter Lynn 12m Vortex
Pansh 5m ACE
GI Flight 93

Other 2 and 4 line non power kites
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 3shot  
Do you think there will be a difference in each side from any stretch?
Just curious.

I don't think Angus used this kite so much that it would have stretched. I spoke on the phone with him this afternoon and he made no mention of concern over it. He said he would contact the folks at Peter Lynn on Monday morning and find out if they can either get a new piece of bridle or send us the specs for fixmykite to reproduce one.

Thanks Kevin, I'm going to see what Angus can find out for me.

soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-8-2013 at 05:13 PM

Well here's the status of the busted bridle:

I've contacted fixmykite and they said I can take the matching bridle off the opposite side, measure it and they will duplicate it for me for $10-15.

Or

Angus has contacted the guys at PL who will be sending him a bridling diagram. Once we identify which individual piece it is, the will make a new one to fit the "proper" specs. I have not heard from Angus what the cost may be though.

If there is not a significant difference in price, I'll probably go with the spec'd out bridle from PL. I don't expect the kite (though used) was sent through the paces so much that there is any stretch to be concerned about. Though I must say, by all appearances the guys over at fixmykite seem to have their stuff together.

DAKITEZ
Posting Freak

Mood: Go Fly A Kite!

[*] posted on 15-8-2013 at 08:41 AM

I have a rII 8.6. If you want to compare bridle lengths I will be happy to measure mine for you. You can compare it to your good side and if ours match up then you should have no problems with the factory PL spec line.

I really doubt you have a problem with stretch, but even if you did you might be able to stretch the new line a little to match it up.

I would be more concerned about the other bridles on the side you broke. When it hooked the buggy that put alot of force on the bridles. Compare the bridles you have left to the bridles on the other side. Just make sure one didn't stretch almost to breaking point but didnt actually break like the one did.
bigkid
Posting Freak

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 15-8-2013 at 10:28 AM

I have only just caught the tail end of this thread, but I am interested in how PL handles the bridle issue.
I sell the new replacement bridles for any of the Combat, Century's, and others for 100.00 plus shipping.
I can also get, if I dont have it already, a spec sheet on the kite through its number and most all the other specs for the kites.
All the data on PKD kites come with a +/- along with the measurement of the piece in question.

Side to side measurement is only a good bit of info if the kite was flying in the first place. Then it is also determined by how well it flys compared to a new one. I had one kite that flew very poorly, was exactly the same on both sides, but after I got the spec sheet I found 2/3 of the system was beyond its +/- allowance. The kite flew poorly as it was but after the new bridle was installed it was a new kite that was nothing like the old one. Kinda like changing out a oil guzzling spitting, popping engine in your family grocery getter for a 500hp turbo, now you can do anything in addition to a tip to the food mart.

If you have not flown a new kite of what ever you are looking for, you have no idea if the used one you just bought is a good deal or not. This was one of the good things about the "pass the kite" idea. You got to try out a new kite and see what, how, why, if and anything else. Then you have a gauge for purchasing a used one.
just my 2 cents.

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-8-2013 at 07:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DAKITEZ  

I would be more concerned about the other bridles on the side you broke. When it hooked the buggy that put alot of force on the bridles. Compare the bridles you have left to the bridles on the other side. Just make sure one didn't stretch almost to breaking point but didnt actually break like the one did.

I don't think this is an issue, it all happened in a split second. That said, I think the bridle in question caught the edge of my front fender (which looks relatively sharp) and was CUT rather than snapped.

We'll see what happens.

@ Jeff,... Thanks for the input. I'm pretty sure this kite was in really good condition cuz it was Angus's kite. Hopefully I didn't wreck it.:no:

mougl
Posting Freak

Mood: Stoked for JIBE!!!

[*] posted on 16-8-2013 at 01:33 PM

I've seen that kite up close and personal. It was tip top when I saw it. Angus takes excellent care of his kites :)

Glad to hear this is going to be an easy fix Spencer!! Those RIIs are sa-WEET!!!!!! I still love mine :)

US357
PB: 53.1 mph

soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-8-2013 at 03:53 PM

Thanks Scott, as intimidated as I initially was by the Reactors, its funny to say now that they are indeed my new favorites.... Angus has been in touch with a guy at Vliegroup (sp?) and they've sent an RII bridle diagram. I identified the proper piece and they will hopefully have it out next week.

I have a feeling that getting the original bridle apart to install the new piece will be the hardest part.... Anyone have any recommendations?

BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-8-2013 at 07:58 PM

Just start taking it apart at the line connection. Only take apart what you need to and pay attention to the order of things before removing anything. No magic involved and no real skill to learn.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
bigkid
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-8-2013 at 08:13 PM

Take pictures or make a drawing. Be sure they cascade the correct way.
You may want to wait to take it apart untill you have the new piece. Time has a way of forgetting.
You can make a temp repair and still fly the kite as long as you do replace the broken line when it comes in. Just be sure it is the same as the other side. I have one kite that has 2 spots with a temp fix for the last 4 years. The replacement parts are in the kites bag. :o

Flexboardz. Blokarts.
bigkid
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-8-2013 at 10:55 AM

Take pictures or make a drawing. Be sure they cascade the correct way.
You may want to wait to take it apart untill you have the new piece. Time has a way of forgetting.
You can make a temp repair and still fly the kite as long as you do replace the broken line when it comes in. Just be sure it is the same as the other side. I have one kite that has 2 spots with a temp fix for the last 4 years. The replacement parts are in the kites bag. :o

Flexboardz. Blokarts.
3shot
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-8-2013 at 07:08 PM

Any headway on the bridal soliver?

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24

soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-8-2013 at 07:53 PM

Yeah, just exchanged a few emails with Angus yesterday. He has been in touch with the designers ect. at Vligerop and they should be making/sending a new bridle soon. I will be on Jekyll Island next weekend and I told Angus if he gets it before I get there, to just hang onto it and I'll get it then.

Really still just waiting :(

soliver
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-9-2013 at 12:52 PM

Just got an email from Angus, the new bridle has arrived and has been mailed to me, so I will probably get it tomorrow or the next day. I also ordered a new "toggle" which is the piece which the fly line is connected to... I'm not sure if it was damaged somewhere along the way or what, but it looked pretty ragged, so Angus had the guys at Vliegerop add one to the order.

It's too bad it came a day too late, I was on Jekyll Island Friday through Sunday and saw Angus Friday,... Would have saved him some shipping cost and me some waiting time.

I will try to post up a step by step with pics of how I disassembled and reassembled the bridle, but it might be a little while before I get to it cuz I have a LOT going on with school.

3shot
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-9-2013 at 04:57 PM

Good news. One step closer to relaunch :thumbup:

Cross Kites Sonic 3, 5m
Ozone Flow 2, 3, 4, 5m
Ace II 4, 5m
NAPKA-US24