Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Newbie Purchase Ozone Octane 4M
Mudmover

[*] posted on 21-8-2013 at 04:21 AM
Newbie Purchase Ozone Octane 4M

Hi All, firstly I have used this website as my online library for my kite selection and its been so helpful.

So my kids have a flex big buzz and we found there is a serious amount of scabblibf between us all - me being the hogger!!

So I started to look for my own kite.....I'm 14stone and simply looking to recreationally fly with kids......Hence I figured a 3-4M kite would be best suited. I narrowed my search to 4kites....

1)Peter Lynn hornet
2)Beamer
3)Octane
4)Rage

Clearly the rage is the most "mature" of selection and people love it..The beamer seems also to get good reviews even if there is a little negative on build quality. For the Octane and new hornet, info seems very limited so I phoned 4 UK shops that stock these.

Interestly they also advised to spend £20 extra and buy the Octane (or Rage) due to stability /build quality. BUT what really swayed it for me was that Ozone is the only manaufacturer to do their own build work in house.

Being 14 stone I opted for the 4M Octane unit which has just been delivered..he he

So, any good tips would really be appreciated...The Mrs has just busted me as the invoice was sent to her email...damm!!!!!
Kite for me , flowers for her it is :)

Anyway I'll be updating shortly...cant wait!!
abkayak
Posting Freak

Mood: loving life and becoming wise in simplicity

[*] posted on 21-8-2013 at 05:37 AM

nice...so much fun to come..welcome buy more kites/flowers:thumbup:

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 21-8-2013 at 06:50 AM

Welcome.

Most kite shops need something extra in order to survive. You may have hit on a good combo. A kite / flower shop. 1 stop !!! :thumbup:

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Mudmover

[*] posted on 21-8-2013 at 08:38 AM

Cheers Guys.......TFF for interflora....cost me £20 all the same :) Could have bought a better kite...

I hope the Ozone Octane 4M is a good choice,,,

Any flying tips, video clips to watch would be greatly appreciated!
Rgds
Matt
soliver
Posting Freak

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 23-8-2013 at 12:30 PM

Angus has some great tutorials on the Coastal Windsports page:

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/TutorialMenu.Html

I learned a lot personally from YouTube tutorials.

Welcome and good luck!

I'm going to take a nap now
Mudmover

[*] posted on 24-8-2013 at 01:06 AM
Thanks Chaps

Guys thank you for words of inspiration!

The wind has died...sods law.....and the wife is not speaking still:saint:

I found the coastal wind sports advice very useful....

Will update on maiden voyage ASAP,
Rgds
Matt
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 24-8-2013 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mudmover  
The wind has died...sods law.....and the wife is not speaking still:saint:

Matt

We call it " the new kite curse "Often lasts for 2 weeks ! :ticking:

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
John Holgate
Posting Freak

Mood: Cruising...

[*] posted on 27-8-2013 at 07:01 PM

The Buzz is a two line ? So if the Octane is your first four line it will be a little different. It's a little long winded, but if you haven't seen this it might help....

Libre Vmax, Alloy Vermin buggy.
Ozone Access/Method/Riot/Imps/
Born-Kite Nasa Star 2's & 3. Born-Kite Long Star 3,5,7m. Peak 2 6m.
My Music is available here: http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=jbholga...
And here: http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnHolgate
YouTube vids here: http://www.youtube.com/user/quedecree?feature=mhee
Mudmover

[*] posted on 29-8-2013 at 12:52 AM

Thanks John.......that is a really useful vid.....and the guy is quite entertaining as well!

Sorry to say but the "new kite curse" hasn't lifted....I'm currently uk south coast and there is only a smidgen tiny breeze.

Can't wait to feel the skidding effect:thumbup:
Mudmover

[*] posted on 7-9-2013 at 09:36 AM

Ok the wind arrived and picked UP!

Got given responsibility of the kids today so we went in a harvest field.......nice gentle wind so first of all I got my daughter was flying the big buzz.......and doing well!

I got the ozone out, untangled the lines and set up.......she launched straight way but I noticed the left bridle was slack .....small tangle....sorted!

Relaunch.....bear in mind this is my first flight of a 4 line kite...I noticed the brake lines were "slack" so I moved knot to middle setting on brake....still not perfect but better.....at this point I noticed my daughter having a lot more fun with the buzz. I was just doing figure of 8's to understand kite/ power. Meanwhile upwind black clouds are brewing....my youngest was getting cold, "2 mins " I shouted and with that a gust or did I leap( not sure) I got heave ho'd forwards and landed with a yelp......

" grab the kite" I shouted and then began writhing on ground...initially I panicked thinking it was my knee again( snapped ligament on motorbike 2 yrs ago) but then realised it was my ankle....AGONY on par with knee job.....led down for 20mins and the putting a brave face on packed away and cycled home during which the heavens opened and soaked us.

On getting back, the kids put an ice pack on my foot, a blanket over me and issued a drink.....

My Mrs came in , looked at my sorrowful face then foot and went "you twat"

I've been warned by the kite......good fun all the same...
John Holgate
Posting Freak

Mood: Cruising...

[*] posted on 7-9-2013 at 04:10 PM

I've been caught a couple times by sudden wind changes. A seabreeze can kick in and go from 6 knots to 20 knots in the space of a minute sometimes. And the wind from a front or cell can be several kilometers in front of where you think it will be. Give yourself lots of practice pulling the safety so that when you need to, you don't have to think about it. And keep your ears open for the sound of an oncoming gust of wind. Hope that ankle comes good quickly.

Libre Vmax, Alloy Vermin buggy.
Ozone Access/Method/Riot/Imps/
Born-Kite Nasa Star 2's & 3. Born-Kite Long Star 3,5,7m. Peak 2 6m.
My Music is available here: http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=jbholga...
And here: http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnHolgate
YouTube vids here: http://www.youtube.com/user/quedecree?feature=mhee
Mudmover

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 01:25 AM

The ankle has eroded today...hopefully it's just swelling.......

The worrying thing was how fast it all happening.....I now realise kite killers would not save such a situation....

I deserve a flaming I know but it was a perfect wind afternoon.........
Mudmover

[*] posted on 10-9-2013 at 09:35 AM

Worse than that, the ankle is broken........argh........bugger.....

It's made me realise just how dangerous playing with kites in the hands of novices really can be.....

The wind was very gentle, I'm 14st and still an intro kite such as the Octane was able to lead me to damage........

My foot is in an air boot for three weeks......
abkayak
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-9-2013 at 09:54 AM

see.....i told you this was gonna be fun... first things first we tell your wife you got hit by a truck..dont even mention the kite...than tomorrow we get you back out on the Octane:thumbup::thumbup:....this is gonna be great!!

US-31...Cquad set/ 2.5 Bullet/ 2.6 Viper/ 2.9m Reactor/ 2- 3.5m Bullet/ 3.6 Beamer/ 4m Buster/ 4m Toxic/ 4m Ikon dp/ 4.5 Bullet/ 4.9m Blade/ 5.6 Twister/ 6.6m Blade/ 7.5 Apex/ 9m Fuel/ Phantom I 9,12,15,18/ 2 Flexibugs/ PL Big Foot/ landboards
Mudmover

[*] posted on 10-9-2013 at 11:23 AM

I'm real cautious now....it's screwed up work for the time being.......

It's only a small chip/ fracture so not too bad.......just gutted...

Will hunt down some fellow kites when I'm out next.....
abkayak
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-9-2013 at 11:37 AM

seriously....got to be cautious all the time...its like driving in the rain...1st job is to get home safe than we add on to that little by little..I’m missing some teeth this week and the wife’s not happy...truth is what caused it makes me want to smile so much...and that just gets her madder at me…vicious circle

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio