Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Leg Breakers?
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-10-2006 at 04:13 PM
Leg Breakers?

I'm looking into blades for off road. I've been enjoying my street blades on tarmac.
The " doomwheels " style of blade looks like a leg breaker to me ? I think I'll prefer the rollerblade Coyote?
1) Can anyone spell out the pro's and con's of each style for me ?
2) Does anyone have a set of size 9 or 10 Coyotes they want to sell?

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 22-10-2006 at 10:12 AM

13+ years on doomwheels and never broken a leg. In fact, I've done far more bodily damage on a buggy than on skates.

Good thing about doomwheel type skates is the large wheels and long wheelbase.

Bad thing about Coyote style skates is the high center of gravity combined with short wheelbase. This combo makes rough terrain dangerous at high speed and you're more likely to do a head plant.

Coyotes are fine for slow speed (under 20mph) on relatively a smooth surface.

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 22-10-2006 at 11:12 AM

From the moment I started to notice doom style wheels it seemed that I'ld feel better if they had a quick release system similar to skis. Spademan used to make a plate binding that I think would marry up very well. Has anyone ever considered binding ??? I agree that they will be FAR more stable + more similar to skiis due to the longer base.
Looks like I can get my hands on some Coyotes at a good price so I'll start with them. My main purpose with blades ( other than PURE FUN ) is to work on freestyle moves that will transfer to snow. Our local spots don't offer up much room for high speed runs so I think I can keep it under 20 and still have a blast !
Next step may be to home build some doom wheels so I'm still interested in peoples input. Especially about the Pro's and Con's of bindings ? Also wonder how doom wheel would run on semi-hard ( mud bay is the name) sand.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Terrablader

[*] posted on 22-10-2006 at 01:59 PM

i use marker mrr bindings if you want a nice low release binding. i worry about it too with my skates since they are long and wiegh about 8 pounds, so far though its been the high falls that have done more damage, i fell over once and put a rib through my lung, collasped the lung, this was right through mountain bike body armor. thats why i like the beach for kiteskating most heh.

in the end i went with bomber snowboard hardboot bindings, grass skis don't use releasable generally. i tore an ankle ligament right through the ski boot on a bad fall with grass skis once so maybe they have it wrong too.

ski bindings add about 2 pounds to each side i think this is a problem, also they may not release properly anyway, lastly we don't need heal release. anyway they make it easy to get in and out of. here is a pic of a junker pair of my skates with bindinds.

7.5 HQ Apex !
3.0 Bullet
7.0 Bullet
10.5 Blade III
3 Terrablades (www.terrablades.com)
2 Rollercycles (www.rollercycle.com)
1 Etek-Rollercycle (www.terrablades.com)

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio