Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Haceta Beach in Florence, OR for kite sports?
Windstruck
Posting Freak

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 03:05 PM
Haceta Beach in Florence, OR for kite sports?

We have a son that goes to the University of Oregon and we were up seeing him this weekend. Went out to the coast and ended up walking for a few miles on a beautiful beach at low tide that looked PERFECT for buggying, etc. It was called Haceta Beach. We gained beach access from next to the Driftwood Shores Resort in Florence.

Is this a beach where folks can buggy or go kiteskating? If not there, are there other beaches close by that can be reached by car from Eugene without too much more driving North or South from Florence?

I'd seriously consider bringing out some kites and my skates if this was permissible.

Thanks !

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m)
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
MotoFoo86

Mood: Wishing for more fly time

[*] posted on 8-11-2015 at 08:29 PM

I've never heard of an area on the Oregon coast that isn't open to kiting. Some of the dune areas are a good idea to stay away from, just due to the issues with ORV vehicles.

Here is the Oregon code for "General Ocean Shore State Recreation areas"

Non-Motorized Vehicles, Cycles, Unpowered Aircraft, Sails and Other Similar Devices

(1) A person may operate a bicycle, skateboard, scooter, rollerblades or inline skate, or other wheeled, operator-propelled equipment that transports the operator on land, as provided in section (3).

(2) A person may operate a wind-powered aircraft or vehicle, such as a land sail, kite-buggy or other similar items on the ocean shore state recreation area as provided in section (3).

(3) A person operating any vehicle described in sections (1) or (2) on the ocean shore state recreation area must:

(a) Observe all posted signs, including the signs that restrict the operation of such vehicles, aircrafts and devices, and

(b) Restrict speed and manner of operation to reasonable and prudent practice considering the terrain, prevailing conditions, equipment, personal capabilities, personal safety and the safety of all other ocean shore state recreation area users, natural resources, and wildlife.

(4) A person operating any vehicle described in sections (1) or (2) on the ocean shore state recreation area may not:

(a) Disturb or harass wildlife or other natural resources as provided in OAR 736-021-0090; or

(b) Block access, use, or the safe and uninterrupted passage of others on the ocean shore state recreation area.

Obviously state park rules would apply to the state parks on the coast, which i believe are a no go. Other than that enjoy!

If you happen to be headed this way on a weekday, let me know I'd be willing to do a beach meet up. One of your routes takes you right past Bend , Or

Kites:
HQ: Rush V Pro 350, Apex IV 5.5m, Montana VII 7m, Montana VIII 10m & 14m
Ozone access XC 4m, access v7 4m, access v6 12m, Frenzy 07 7.5m, Frenzy 9m
FlySurfer Speed 4 Lotus 21m, Speed 4 9m, Unity 6, & 10m, Psycho 3 13m
2010 Best Waroo 5m trainer LEI

GI Patrol 106, skis? yup lots, snowboards? Couple of those too
Libre full race stainless
Libre Hardcore
Windstruck
Posting Freak

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 9-11-2015 at 05:25 AM

@Motofoo86 - thanks for the great reply to my inquire! Wonderful news and a pretty darn nice policy to boot. Got to love Oregonians.

I will absolutely let you know about my travel plans and would love to hook up someday. My wife and I flew SLC-EUG this go around but I've driven several times over these past years. We usually push from Park City to Bend (via Boise) in one day, spend the night in your beautiful town and then drive the remaining 3 hours or so to Eugene. On the return we leave Eugene later in the day, spend the night again in Bend and then push it all the way home the next day. The only other real choice is staying in Boise, but then you pretty much have to just plow past Bend and you know what a mistake that is!

Pic is from this beach from this past weekend.

[img][/img]

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m)
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
Blitzhound

Mood: I got a sickness, and the only cure is more Buggyin!

[*] posted on 21-6-2016 at 06:24 PM

For anyone interested in Heceta Beach this is one of my go to places. As long as the wind is coming from anywhere but offshore. It's a solid place to buggy. It gets a bit crowded in the summer but the rest of the year it's great. I was just there the other day. Had a good cross shore and a nice wide beach. I just need a better upwind kite. Or maybe some more practice. Or both haha. There is another sweet spot about 15 miles south of here. You can drive down onto the beach. And it's almost always empty. But fair warning. The road is not maintained and your going to need 4WD to make it out there. But...it's about 6 miles of empty beach. If your ever in the area and wanna check it out feel free to contact me. Lucky for me I'm only about 5 miles from this spot and I'm always looking for a play date.

NAPKA US541
HQ: Beamer V 5.0m,
Best: Bularoo 7m, Waroo 9m, 12m
PKD: Inferno 9m, 12m, 16.5m,
Ozone: SubZero: 5m, 7m, 9m, 11m, 13m, Access 6m, Pure 6m, Chrono V2 7m, V4 13m, Chrono EXP 7m, 9m, R1V3 21m
Buggies: GT-Revolt, GT-RazR,
BigSiler

Mood: BREEZY

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 11:09 AM

Winds dead till 10am and is Great till 1pm when it gets going... Sand starts moving an winds norm 20.. Sands soft for landboard but Good for buggies. winds in summer always seem to come from N. so lots of short runs.. If Ever a Good West wind on a Minus Tide You Could landboard from south jetty all way to next town..lol.. IF would be amazing

Profoil 1m, 1.5, 2.5m
Samurai 3m & 5m & 7.2m
Blade IV 4.9m
FRENZY 07\' 10m
Pansh BLAZE 12.5m

Ground Industries Patrol 106
MBS 26
Blitzhound

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 02:20 PM

I buggy this spot offen. I usually access the beach from Driftwood Shores. Lots of short runs the width of the beach. It's a decent width in spots. But when the wind is onshore you can go for miles.

NAPKA US541
Ozone: SubZero: 5m, 7m, 9m, 11m, 13m, Access 6m, Pure 6m, Chrono V2 7m, V4 13m, Chrono EXP 7m, 9m, R1V3 21m
Wind_dog

Mood: Itchin' for the beach

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 07:28 PM

Hey Blitzhound,
We're in the midst of moving to Bend so Florence and Newport will be the closest coastal spots. Do you know of RV camping spots near buggy beaches in the area?
Looking forward to exploring and sharing some of your spots.
Rick

Always on the steep part of the learning curve.
Gin Shaman2 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak1 6m, Peak2 9m,Peak4, 3m
Misc. other kites, never getting out of their bags.
Riding a Libre Fullrace with an AQR on the beach
Riding a Blokart inland when gust factor > 4
And a couple Manta Singles for friends to ride.
Blitzhound

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 09:57 PM

Sure do wind_dog there are several not to far from Heceta beach. I also buggy at Bastindorff beach in coos bay a lot. I think you'd like that one. I also have my hidden gem of a buggy spot I'm willing to share with you but it'll cost you a beer or three. Hahaha.

NAPKA US541
Wind_dog

Mood: Itchin' for the beach

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 07:50 AM

Sounds like a beach tour is in the works.
I'll see if I can find any good beer here in Bend.
Only a few dozen breweries to sample.

Always on the steep part of the learning curve.
Gin Shaman2 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak1 6m, Peak2 9m,Peak4, 3m
Misc. other kites, never getting out of their bags.
Riding a Libre Fullrace with an AQR on the beach
Riding a Blokart inland when gust factor > 4
And a couple Manta Singles for friends to ride.
Blitzhound

[*] posted on 5-4-2017 at 08:22 AM

Bend is like the micro/craft Brew Mecca of Oregon. We'll have to set up a play date haha. You bring the beer and I'll put some animal flesh in the smoker. I'll show all my buggy haunts.

NAPKA US541

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio