Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need help on water kite selection
leebrianh

[*] posted on 13-2-2007 at 09:09 AM
Need help on water kite selection

Finally I decided to get into water this summer. Of course, the big question is what kite do I get? I read some posts regarding kite selection here but still need some help.

I have been landboarding and buggying for about a year and recently started snowkiting. I weigh 150 lb. I would like to just cruise around on water rather than doing crazy jumpings or waving.

I am getting toward North Rebel (want to get bow type as they have much depower range). I believe in "you get what you pay for" and don't mind spending some extra $ for good quality. Also, would like to get something for intermediate so I don't have to sell my first kite in a week and get another one. What do you guys think? - Brian

action jackson

Mood: wind-holic

[*] posted on 13-2-2007 at 09:25 AM

Look at Peter Lynns , you can use the same kite for all activies........aj

Ocean Rodeo Razors 8,10,12
Ocean Rodeo 5\'11 Surf series
PL Arcs 6,15m orange Phantoms 10,19m Venom 16m proto scorp ,synergy 12,
NPW\'s .5,2.8,6.9 and 15m skytex
145x49 crazy fly,Decay 142x42,aboards z- series 135x40
Pl xr+ buggy , Pl Kitecat hull #5
www.kittyhawkkites.com
www.wavesvillage.com
www.thekitexpo.com

\"Holding it down, since 20 knots!\"
leebrianh

[*] posted on 13-2-2007 at 09:29 AM

Thanks AJ but as I already have land kites, I am looking for inflatable kites for water. - Brian

SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-2-2007 at 12:26 PM

I would take a good look at Flysurfers. The 10m Pulse is a great place to start - easy to launch, relaunch in the water, and you don't need a pump to get it up :D

The depower range is huge with the new models - you can almost cover your entire wind range with just two kites.

Foil Kites: Flysurfer 12m Sonic 4, 10m Soul V2, Peak 5s and 5.5m Hybrid
LEIs: 9m Naish Pivot, 12m Naish Phoenix
Land: 16" Dirtsurfer GP
H20: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, Slingshot 103cm Hope Craft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
awindofchange
Posting Freak

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 13-2-2007 at 12:34 PM

I would second the Peter Lynn suggestion even though you have land kites already. The Peter Lynn's have a huge range allowing some people to have a 2 kite quiver to cover their entire wind range. They are super stable and are the best at handling gusts of any water kite on the market.

For a Bow/SLE kite, I would suggest looking into the Ozone Instinct or the Caution Answer. Both of these kites seem to be the ones to match up against at our local spots and are the favorite.

SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-2-2007 at 01:10 PM

I would like to try a PL soon. It sounds like once you get the inflation and setup down, you are good to go.

Kent - what is the depower ratio of the new PLs? The new Flysurfers Speed 2s are 1:9 (Pulse is 1:7)

tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 13-2-2007 at 02:42 PM

"you don't need a pump to get it up"
amen brother---either do I!

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 13-2-2007 at 02:45 PM

Bego has the Neptune 400/600 made especially for water. The kite has 3 cell openings that have a check valve system that keeps water out of the kite when it hits the water, and the material is water proof. Water relaunch no problems (from what Ive read). so the 600 Neptune would be the same power wise as a 12m LEI I think? Just a thought! as usual.........................

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
wjb

[*] posted on 13-2-2007 at 03:39 PM

Brian
Go to your nearest kite beach and see what everbody is flying. Help launch and land kites. Everbody is usually very friendly and willing to answer questions. It might be harder right now during winter but the harder core riders will be out. Wade

North 2010 Rebel 11m
North 2010 Rebel 8m
North 2010 Rebel 6m
Ozone Flow 2m
Nobile 555 145
Amundson Custom 6\'2\"
Roush Morphius Skimboard
Kracked Skulls M1
Burton King 167
awindofchange
Posting Freak

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 14-2-2007 at 02:02 PM

DaVinch,

Not sure what the actual depower ratio is on the PL's. Haven't really been asked that specific question before. I do know that the initial reports on the new Scorpion kite compares it to a little better depower than the Caution Answer and the Best Waroo. We hope to have our new Scorpions in stock very soon (counting the hours now). The one thing that really stands out when comparing to the SLE/Bow's is that the Peter Lynn's have a similar depower but a much larger "comfort riding" window. To explain better - the Bow's have a narrow wind range where the kite totally rocks, you can depower the kite for stronger winds but the ride becomes more harsh and not nearly as fun to ride in - same goes for underpowered conditions. Still better than having to come in and drop a size kite. The Peter Lynn's will depower just as good (or better if you ask some) but still be rock solid and fun in the stronger wind ranges, very comfortable ride right up till you hit maximum and just can't hold the kite down any longer.

The downside? You have to know how to fly the PL's to get max performance. It is not a park and boost type of kite. In their suggested wind ranges you can park and ride, but to really get their most performance you have to get aggressive with the kite and make it go. This has its plus side in that when you want to cruise Caddallic style, just park and go....but when you want to get aggressive you need to make the kite do it. Jumps are just as big (or higher with the right technique) than the bow's but much more floaty with better hangtime, landings are soft and smooth.

I fly both the Bow's/SLE's (Waroo, Caution Answer & Ozone Instinct) as well as the Peter Lynns (Venom, Venom II, Bomba's). Most of the time I have my PL's out and that is my primary kite. In the lighter stuff I may pull out the SLE's/bow's because overall, they will have a bit better bottom end performance than the PL's. In the stronger winds I won't bother getting them out of the truck and the PL's are the only choice for me.

I don't want to start a LEI/Foil debate here, there are enough of those on the web as is already and we don't need that crap here. I am just stating my personal opinions and experiences on the Peter Lynn's. I fly what works and what will give me the most fun for my limited time out of the office. The new LEI's (bow's/sle's) are awesome kites as are the Flysurfers as well as the Peter Lynn's, any of these new kites will get you on the water and give you tremendous amounts of fun. I prefer the Peter Lynn's for myself and that is not saying that they are the best choice for anyone else. Try all that you can and fly what works for you and keep an open mind and a weary eye for anyone telling you that "This kite is the one and only kite to get".

I will try to find out the exact depower ratio for you if I can.

Interesting how a simple question turns into a long story...... :frog:

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-2-2007 at 02:28 PM

I see a lot of people using Best Waroo's on land and water. Thefolks around here are very happy with theirs ( on water ) + they are very well priced. I'm thinking you want the inflatable aspect to help you self rescue when learning. If that's not the issue and you have a shallow learning area I'ld say Flysurfer $$$$ or P.L. $ would be your best choices.

P.S. I think the North rebel is a 5th line C kite or maybe 07 is SLE ? North are not big on Bows.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
leebrianh

[*] posted on 14-2-2007 at 03:20 PM

My impression on Waroo is good quality for price. I am going to KiteStorm next weekend and hope to get my hands on Ozone Instinct 07 and Waroo demo. Anybody has experience on Ozone Instinct? I just love my frenzy and can imagine good built quality of Ozone Instinct but the name doesn't seem to be metioned as ofthen as other inflatable kites. - Brian

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-2-2007 at 06:14 PM

I think Ozone will have trouble taking off with the water based folks. They will see the price and limted choices and look at them as a foil maker. Thinking they know nothing about lei's and not appreciating their build quality. Flexi was smart to get their brand out early + give choices + Drafting Len 10 !!!
Around here I find we don't get a lot of respect from the water based community. I think Ozone may meet that same bias !

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
wjb

[*] posted on 14-2-2007 at 10:19 PM

Who is Sander Lenten? Is that Rubins brother? Rubin the one you see in the insane kiteloop videos rides for Slingshot.

North 2010 Rebel 11m
North 2010 Rebel 8m
North 2010 Rebel 6m
Ozone Flow 2m
Nobile 555 145
Amundson Custom 6\'2\"
Roush Morphius Skimboard
Kracked Skulls M1
Burton King 167
SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 02:02 PM

Guys - how difficult is it to get the Peter Lynns twinskins inflated?

action jackson

Mood: wind-holic

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 02:28 PM

Unzipp and hold open and zip............aj

Ocean Rodeo Razors 8,10,12
Ocean Rodeo 5\'11 Surf series
PL Arcs 6,15m orange Phantoms 10,19m Venom 16m proto scorp ,synergy 12,
NPW\'s .5,2.8,6.9 and 15m skytex
145x49 crazy fly,Decay 142x42,aboards z- series 135x40
Pl xr+ buggy , Pl Kitecat hull #5
www.kittyhawkkites.com
www.wavesvillage.com
www.thekitexpo.com

\"Holding it down, since 20 knots!\"
SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 03:57 PM

It's really that easy? How long does it take you to set up aj?

bigkahuna

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaVinch
It's really that easy? How long does it take you to set up aj?

Hey DaVinch, hope you don't mind me adding to the discussion:

I've been kitesurfing for almost 7 years and started flying foils about 4 years ago. I started with inflatos, but got tired of replacing them very 6-8 months or so. The beaches here are pretty tough on kites and I almost always self launch and land which is even harder on an inflato.

About 4 years ago I bought a Flysurfer Titan to give it a try, hoping it would replace the Rhino II 20m I normally used. To make a long story short, I didn't like the Flysurfer. Next I tried a Peter Lynn Gorilla and immediately loved it. I've been flying PL's and inflatos ever since.

To answer your question: If you're counting the time it takes to get from parking my car up to when I'm in the water, I probably take as long with either the PL or inflato. But to be honest, I really don't rush things and take my time making sure everything is OK before I launch. What's a big difference is that inflating and prepping a PL is many times easier than an inflato. No backbreaking pumping involved at all. I just unroll the kite, sand the upwind tip, run out my lines, connect them, open the zip and wait for the kite to fill, close the zip and launch. Trust me, you really don't burn off any calories prepping a PL kite. ;)

I think PL's are great in strong, gusty winds and if stability in the air is important. If you're looking for something with a lot of bottom end grunt or fast turns while underpowered, PL's aren't the right kite.
SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-2-2007 at 05:26 PM

Thanks for the input bigkahuna. I'll ask around to see if someone has a PL I can try.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio