Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kiteboard selection, need advice
leebrianh

[*] posted on 12-3-2007 at 08:48 AM
Kiteboard selection, need advice

Ok, last Saturday, I finally had my first water session and WOW! I have been landboarding and buggying so far and realized that they have been perparing me for kiteboarding! I had so much fun, getting up on water and even going upwind for short distance.

I tried 3 boards that day. 151cm, 141, and 128. My best pick was 141 and decided to purchase my own board.

I was initially looking for a used Spleene 141 but now am thinking about buying a new board. And if I am going to spend around $700 for a brand new 07 Spleene board, I realized that I have many other options.

So, I need you guys help. What board would you guys recommend for size 140 cm ish? Very good board that I can keep for a long time. There are too many brands out there, it's kind of hard for me to choose. HELP ~~~ - Brian

domdino

[*] posted on 12-3-2007 at 12:33 PM

Hey mate, can't really offer much advise on boards unfortunately as i've only tried 3 myself. One was a very old slingshot twintip board 170cm which was ok, the other was a naish 128 thing but i currently use a liquid force drop 136 and its my fav out of the lot, quite a heavy board but really solid and smooth riding on it. Not really very good advice though as i'm sure there are many better boards! - I was mainly wondering how you found the transition to the water from your landboard and comparisons! :tumble:
leebrianh

[*] posted on 12-3-2007 at 01:32 PM

Landboarding and especially snowkiting experience definately helped. But the key thing was knowing my kite. I took out North Rebel 10M I never flew before that day. I struggled initially but long story short, after getting used to my kite, I was up and going no time.

Getting up on water and going upwind is very similar to landboarding and snowkiting but that's only half of the battle in kiteboarding in my opinion. More important thing is what do you do when you crash??? That involves in water relaunch, body drag and self-rescue. That's definately new area to me despite my kiting experience. Now, I achieved my goal of "riding", from now on, my focus will be the rest of the battle.

Ok, back to the main issue. What is the best of the best board in size 140 cm ish? - Brian

wjb

[*] posted on 12-3-2007 at 10:51 PM

A lot of people out here ride Undergrounds or Amundson customs. Also North boards. A lot of people on kiteforum.com love the new Nobile boards. These will be the boards I will be looking at when I am ready to buy this summer.

http://www.live2kite.com/product_info.php?products_id=450&am...

http://www.live2kite.com/index.php?cPath=64_65_70&osCsid...

If you buy from Live2kite tell Evan I sent you. Maybe he will cut me a deal on my new harness :smilegrin: Good Luck Brian

North 2010 Rebel 11m
North 2010 Rebel 8m
North 2010 Rebel 6m
Ozone Flow 2m
Nobile 555 145
Amundson Custom 6\'2\"
Roush Morphius Skimboard
Kracked Skulls M1
Burton King 167
leebrianh

[*] posted on 13-3-2007 at 08:03 AM

Thanks Wade. I bought a impact vest from them per your recommendation. I am very happy with it and their service. I should have mentioned that you sent me there :spin: - Brian

bigkahuna

[*] posted on 14-3-2007 at 10:12 AM

If I were to buy another twintip, I'd get a Litewave 140. I shape/build all my own boards now-a-days, but I owned a LW 140 and it was both indistructable and nicely shaped. I think it was a 2003 or 2004 (had the red flame graphics). If you shop around you can find them used for a couple hundred bucks. I personally don't like the newer Litewaves, Dave went to a much deeper concave which I'm not a big fan of.

BTW, shop around before you plunk down your $$. $700 is way too much money to spend on a board IMHO. I'd look for a "last years model clearance" if I were shopping. Board design hasn't changed that much in the last 12 months.
zloty

Mood: When doesn\'t blow it sucks

[*] posted on 14-3-2007 at 10:25 AM

Hey guys ,both of You should get 10% off if You will tell Evan Slawek sent You.Wade I'm sure he will give You deal on Mystic with that.BTW they are opening new shop in few days so You can go there and check the gear before You buy it.
Cheers

Slawek

my bag;
razor 4.5
razor 5.5 for sale $250
blade III 3.0
blade IV 4.9
custom flexifoil buggy for freestyle
wide axle flexifoil buggy
home made buggy
mbs comp 16

my gallery http://www.flickr.com/photos/slawek2006/sets/
leebrianh

[*] posted on 14-3-2007 at 07:19 PM

Thank you, guys. I ended up ordering Spleene Rip Plus, 138 cm. I couldn't resist that beautiful new design :smilegrin: Hope its performance is as good as its color. - Brian

wjb

[*] posted on 14-3-2007 at 08:29 PM

I see you have a Vegas 12m. How do you like it? That Spleene is a good looking board. I have heard good stuff about them. Wade

North 2010 Rebel 11m
North 2010 Rebel 8m
North 2010 Rebel 6m
Ozone Flow 2m
Nobile 555 145
Amundson Custom 6\'2\"
Roush Morphius Skimboard
Kracked Skulls M1
Burton King 167
leebrianh

[*] posted on 15-3-2007 at 05:42 AM

The kite is on its way. I like my North Rebel and wanted to try another good name, Vegas. - Brian

wjb

[*] posted on 15-3-2007 at 01:07 PM

I heard the Rebel compared to a Lexus and the Vegas to a Porsche. The bar feel is a little more direct, you will always know where it is in the sky, a little less depower, and a lot more pop when you send it for jumps. Let me know how you like it and the board. Wade

North 2010 Rebel 11m
North 2010 Rebel 8m
North 2010 Rebel 6m
Ozone Flow 2m
Nobile 555 145
Amundson Custom 6\'2\"
Roush Morphius Skimboard
Kracked Skulls M1
Burton King 167

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio