Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Code Brown...
adambweird

[*] posted on 18-2-2017 at 04:02 PM
Code Brown...

Well, I had my first code brown moment today... was out with my 4m NS3 in some 8-10 mph wind rolling on grass for the first time, everything was going great, until the wind died down.

It didnt stay down for long, just enough to slack the lines and slow down a lil bit and then bam, massive gust! Not sure of the wind speed, but i travelled about 10ft through the air before hitting ground and getting drug for about 40ft while trying to get at the quick release. Was scary as hell! Ive practiced using it but have never been in a panic moment before today

I was glad i had on pads and a lid, but i learned i should wear gloves too since now ive got a quarter size blister on my palm from grass burn, lol. Feel a lil beat up but no worse for the wear. Hoping to get out again tomorrow and stay upright the whole time!

HQ: Symphony Beach 1.3, 2.2.4, Crossfire II 5m, Apex II 5m
Peter Lynn: Pepper II 3m, Venom II 13M
Born: NS3 4m, 7m. NS2 5.5m
slapbasswoody

[*] posted on 18-2-2017 at 06:19 PM

Glad you are ok Adam.
These things happen to all of us and to be honest thete is not a lot we can do about it.
A helmet and protection helps with lessening the damage.
all the best
Woody

PKA# K754
XXtreme XXRacer
Set of Reactor 3s
Chrono v2 9 - 15m
OffAxis

[*] posted on 18-2-2017 at 07:22 PM

Must be something with the weather today. I was out with the buggy and my Apex 7.5 today having a riot. Got up to 16mph in the bumpiest of rye fields with my butt basically dragging on the ground. As I was zooming across, it crossed my mind if I would catch some air ramping off some of the bumps. The seat straps on my KiteTrike were working loose and I'd get lower to ground. Flipped the bug a few times just from various shenanigans and also had a few OBE's. Also had the rear of the bug slide out on me and turned me so far upwind, the kite almost yanked me out the back. I quickly baled out and got things situated again.

Despite being well powered, it still seams like I can't go up wind at all. Probably due to the bumpy, rutted rye field that I'm riding in. Had a few interesting hot launches that almost made me superman. I didn't want to scud simply because the field surface isn't smooth.

The worst/best? of the OBE's happened when I was trying to negotiate a down wind turn after a pretty high speed run. Had the kite basically at 12 on its way to the right, buggy is turning downwind and up I went. A huge gust just picked me right up out of the seat and launched me to about 10ft. I kept the kite overhead and piloted my way back down, landing on my feet even. Once back on the ground I immediately grabbed the landing strap and decided I'll gather my thoughts and call it a day. Wow that was nuts.

This was my first time out flying in heavier winds with the Apex 7.5 and wow that was fun. I was doing some static jumps getting a feel for how to bring the kite over head and redirect it with this kind of power. It would take me to about 3ft and float me back on down, what a hoot. This was also one of the rare times that the winds were as consistent as it can get with inland conditions. I need to get a weather station or wind meter, but I'd think it was blowing ~18s gusting 25.

I wonder what wind speed does it take to lift a 180lbs to 10ft. with an Apex 7.5?

PL Venom II 16m, HQ Apex III 7.5m, Pansh Flux 2m & 4m
Kite Trike
Blake - US35

With much blessing comes great responsibility.
adambweird

[*] posted on 18-2-2017 at 10:47 PM

Ouch, sounds like your gonna be feeling it more than i will tomorrow, lol. Glad you came out alright as well. Definately gained an even higher level of respect today for the tools we use to harness a primal force!

soliver
Posting Freak

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 18-2-2017 at 11:12 PM

Adam, those NASAs have some power don't they!!!

Wow OffAxis, I'm glad you had the sense to pilot your way out of that. I was lofted 10 ft like that by a 5m FB a few years back and ended up breaking my foot, having repairative surgery and recovering for a3-4 months... good work!

I'm going to take a nap now
adambweird

[*] posted on 19-2-2017 at 12:34 AM

Damn right they do! Today was the first time i flew the 4m on the stock lines, lol. Spent an hour getting used to it first and hitting the eject button multiple times to acclimate myself to it. Felt like getting pulled by a freight train, lol.

bigkid
Posting Freak

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 19-2-2017 at 07:30 AM

You were lucky yesterday, hope it continues on.

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
soliver
Posting Freak

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 19-2-2017 at 11:52 AM

Aha! There's the explanation... you've been using short lines up to now yes?... longer lines typically translate to more power... a longer pass through the power zone!... Glad you weren't more seriously injured!

I'm going to take a nap now
adambweird

[*] posted on 19-2-2017 at 04:21 PM

That would be correct. Until yesterday, id only flown it either off the bar or with my 3m lines. Being on grass i wanted full power plus i wanted to fly it for once on the normal lines, lol.

Windstruck
Posting Freak

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 19-2-2017 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by adambweird  
That would be correct. Until yesterday, id only flown it either off the bar or with my 3m lines. Being on grass i wanted full power plus i wanted to fly it for once on the normal lines, lol.

FB NPW gust gobbler. It is so easy to get lulled into forgetting what a tiger you have chained to the other end of the lines. Gust absorption was a primary reason why I switched over to DP. There is something wonderful and pure about FB flying to be sure, sort of a direct drive feel if you will, but man can they ever be merciless at times. Glad you got out of it (relatively) unscathed.

Every session is a learning session, some more than others. I bet you advanced quite a bit that day. :karate:

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m)
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
adambweird

[*] posted on 19-2-2017 at 05:27 PM

I was having a blast until that gust... was making good headway on flying up wind and not getting pulled off, just a great day for advancing the learning curve. Im just glad it happened when i was going downwind and in my natural stance. I did pick up some mechanics gloves today for my next session. My left shoulder is a lil sore today from being the first thing that hit the ground, but everything else feels normal. Oddly enough, my left knee thats been acting up (old motorcycle injury), has felt like a new joint today, lol. Maybe it just needs a slam every now and again to keep it working right, lol.

Windstruck
Posting Freak

Mood: Get in my buggy!

[*] posted on 19-2-2017 at 06:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by adambweird  
I was having a blast until that gust... was making good headway on flying up wind and not getting pulled off, just a great day for advancing the learning curve. Im just glad it happened when i was going downwind and in my natural stance. I did pick up some mechanics gloves today for my next session. My left shoulder is a lil sore today from being the first thing that hit the ground, but everything else feels normal. Oddly enough, my left knee thats been acting up (old motorcycle injury), has felt like a new joint today, lol. Maybe it just needs a slam every now and again to keep it working right, lol.

Adam - are you on a board of some sort or in a buggy? From your post quoted here it sounds as if you are boarding. Boarding with 20m lines and a FB NPW is sort of asking for it as you've now learned. A 6m Peak (1, 2, or 3) would be somewhat akin to a 4m NS3, just saying... or a 5.5m LS2 is you want to stay in the Born-Kite lane.

I've never boarded with a kite but have skated and I felt WAY more comfortable with DP than FB with wheels under my feet. A buggy is much more forgiving too.

Born-Kites:
RaceStar+ (3.0m, 5.0m, 7.0m, 9.0m)
NasaStar-5 (2.5m, 4.0m)
NasaStar-4 (2.5m)
NasaStar-3 (3.2m)

Ozone kites:
Access (6.0m)

Flysurfer Kites:
Peak-5 (2.5m)

Buggy:
Peter Lynn BigFoot+ nose & tail; midsection VTT rail & seat kit; home-brewed AQR

NAPKA Member US2815
SWATK Member UT0003
adambweird

[*] posted on 20-2-2017 at 10:21 AM

I want to build a buggy, just havent decided on what route im going to go with it yet. I do have a DP kite, just havent had many opportunities to fly it and learn it.

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-2-2017 at 05:20 PM

Are you flying off a bar? Hooking in?

Windstruck is right. Your Outlaw will be a much better suited kite to mountain boarding. Hooked in with depower delivers the right power to the right place. Your core. You REALLY want to get comfortable with that Outlaw.

The trick to avoid going over the top is to bend your knees and get your :moon: low as the power comes on. Push out with your feet so you end up scudding down wind on your :moon: rather than your face. I wear Hillbilly :moon: pads. You might consider them if you are sticking with ATB for now.

It is often better to buy a starter buggy even if you aspire to do a build. Especially if you don't have exposure to what all is out there.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
adambweird

[*] posted on 20-2-2017 at 06:42 PM

I was flying off a bar and hooked in with the Nasa. Usually, i use 3m lines and a street kite bar for parking lots. Being on grass i thought it be better to use the normal lines and harness. I know i need to get comfy with the outlaw but the lil voice in my head said to leave it at home that day and ive learned not to ignore it, lol. Last time i did i hit went into the side of a truck at 60 mph on my first bike, lol.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio