Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flexifoil Blurr 2.5m and 5.0m

[*] posted on 30-5-2018 at 03:21 PM
Flexifoil Blurr 2.5m and 5.0m

What can I say...? I love these kites!

I am coming from a long time (and recently rare user) of a pair of ageing CQuad 3.2m and 6.3m. I have now had some time with both Blurrs and really am enjoying the handling of the Blurrs. Nice and stable at zenith, both are agile in turns, easy to launch and to pack away. Relatively few luffs (more in low wind today on the 5m).

I had one decent moving ATB session on Weymouth beach in fading light 8-9pm on the 2.5 in probably 10-15 mph (a guess based on local weather forecast) mostly onshore wind. More recently static kiting with the 5.0m in very light (sub 5mph wind). Just enough to keep it at zenith. Easy to loop. Not quite enough to scud.

Extra plus points from me: the antique PL longhorn/cowhorn bar I own works superbly with these kites! Comments here led me to think that foils were rags on bars, but in my opinion the Blurrs handle very similarly to the CQuads. The 2.5 is particularly agile on the PL bar, and the 5m worked fine too. I need more wind and a decent beach to really test it for boarding of course...

Mostly I have flown both on their minimum AoA. The lowest AoA setting above the top spacer on the bridle. I think they handle really nicely on this setting for me. I did try the deepest/highest AoA setting and could not even get the 2.5 to launch. But maybe more wind is required? I'll investigate more when I have some space to play.

So - if you see these kites on a good deal, I heartily recommend them! have fun!
jeffnyc

Mood: In the

[*] posted on 30-5-2018 at 04:43 PM

Thanks for the review - would love to hear back again after you've used them for a couple months to see if anything changes.

They've quickly become my favorites as well (2.5 and 3.5) on ATB. They really need to be moving for them to shine. Bullet 2.5 is still the most fun static for me.

Here's a comparison of me on the 2.5 Rage vs 2.5 Blurr within the same hour in April. Blurr pointed a lot higher with very little effort. I was only able to get upwind on the Rage when I was lifted in a thermal. I was also moving 10mph faster on the Blurr in the same wind, and holding myself back. I'm sure in more capable hands the difference would be even more extreme.
rage_vs_blurr.jpg - 69kB

What I love about the Blurr is that there is tons of power, but it doesn't spike. So I feel the same confidence as a Rage, but go faster and point higher.

Foil: Speed5 18+12 | Speed3 15 | Sonic2 9m | Peak 5 4m
Arc: Phantom I 12m+18m
LEI: LF WOW 9m
FB: Flux 5m | Bullet 4.5 | Blurr 3.5 + 2.5 | Rage 2.5 | Beamer 1.8
Ride: Flexi Haize | MBS core 90 | SS Vision 140 | Mako 140 + King 165 | King Gee | SS Hover Glide | WB 5'6" | Burton Floater
NAPKA NCC-US1701

[*] posted on 31-5-2018 at 12:09 AM

I will definitely follow up on this. I have the Rage 2.5 and am in process of returning it. Mostly the graphics turned me off haha!

I have a photo I will upload showing the different aspect ratio of the two kites.
Blurr has more cells and is 3.1m wide versus 2.8 I think, with slightly shorter cord length of 0.9 versus 1m.

A greater proportion of the Blurr is coloured fabric too - which I much prefer to see in the sky.

[*] posted on 31-5-2018 at 12:11 AM

Where were you kiting? Airfield? Floyd Bennet?

[*] posted on 31-5-2018 at 01:01 AM

Some photo comparisons of the rage and Blurr 2.5m kites:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ybyo17g37q1lxpp/AAA_fu-JYc8pJC8yv...

The Blurr has more closed cells at the tips compared to the Rage and the shape is more elongated, and more than 50% of the area is coloured cells.
jeffnyc

Mood: In the

[*] posted on 31-5-2018 at 08:25 AM

Rage is a fantastic high wind and/or beginner kite - extremely stable and great with gusts - I'm definitely keeping mine. I didn't like mine the first time I flew it, but with a little wind and some movement it was really fun. I'm also fairly new at this, so I'm looking for kites that are a little more forgiving. There are definitely kites out there that are higher aspect and more punchy, but that's not what I'm after. Blurr for me right now is perfect combination of manageable power build up, handling and performance. And the Rage is there when I don't feel quite comfortable with the Blurr. At the airport I almost always put up the Rage first, see how things are going, then grab whatever kite I feel suits the conditions. On the beach I'm a little less cautious.

I would try your kites on handles, it makes a huge difference in handling.

I was curious earlier about the different cell counts + aspect ratios of my kites as well.
Here's a few that I have:

blurr aspect:
4.2 with 21 cells

Bullet
2.5m 3.8 17 cells
3.5m 3.8 17
4.5m 4.0 19
5.5m 4.2 21
7.0m 4.3 21

Rage 2.5m:
3.5 with 15 cells

flux 5m:
aspect - anyone know this? 18 cells
wingspan: 2.1m
center chord: 1.3m

Foil: Speed5 18+12 | Speed3 15 | Sonic2 9m | Peak 5 4m
Arc: Phantom I 12m+18m
LEI: LF WOW 9m
FB: Flux 5m | Bullet 4.5 | Blurr 3.5 + 2.5 | Rage 2.5 | Beamer 1.8
Ride: Flexi Haize | MBS core 90 | SS Vision 140 | Mako 140 + King 165 | King Gee | SS Hover Glide | WB 5'6" | Burton Floater
NAPKA NCC-US1701

[*] posted on 31-5-2018 at 08:56 AM

Sure - Rage is a nice kite, but at an identical size and price I decided to replace it with the Blurr. Too much of an overlap for me, but yes I can understand that for tarmac riding you may want something more forgiving!

I was originally flying on handles, but I really dont like hooking in with handles and a strop line. By contrast, I find the stiff harness loop on the Peter Lynn bar to feel much better. Easier to quickly hook in and out of during flying as required.

I have been flying CQuads on this bar for almost all their life so I guess it just feels more intuitive to me and I dont feel I have any loss of control.

The brake lines connect to the tips, so easy to make tight turns, and due to the curve of the bar, it is possible to rotate it to add even brake tension and land the kite.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio