Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: choosing a kite, kitesurfing on lake.
anz58g

[*] posted on 26-4-2007 at 02:57 PM
choosing a kite, kitesurfing on lake.

hello, im new to this type of sport and trying to find some more. I like in Dallas, Tx and would like to try kitesurf at some of the local lakes. Some of them pretty big. Is it possible to kitesurf on lake or it's on ocean only? I'm not looking forward doing any tricks, just cruise around. The winds here are not as strong as on ocean, should i go for bigger size of kite. Which size and model/make would be good for beginer? Which boards should I look at? What is avarage speed of wind should be to kitesurf? What equipment do I need other then board and kite?
Thank you,
Andrew
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 26-4-2007 at 04:00 PM

Here is a good place to start

http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/

What you NEED to do is buy about a 3 meter foil. If you are looking to kiteboard on water it would be best if that foil was on a bar. Ozone, Best, and Airush are 3 that sell them that way. Get the basics down on land with that kite. You can even take it out in shallow water and practice body dragging with it once you fly well enough not to crash it.

If it is at all possible to arrange lessons. Even if you have to travel to get them. It will speed up your learning and reduce the frustration in ways I can't explain.

Yes you can kite on lakes. The wind inland can sometimes be less " clean " than the ocean and no waves of course.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
anz58g

[*] posted on 26-4-2007 at 08:09 PM

Should I try kiteboarding before I try kitesurfing? You mention that I need foil. Whait is the difference? Is there many types of kite that can be used for kitesurfing or kiteboarding? What model of kite should I get?
Should I try something like that one:
http://store.airushkiteboarding.com/product-583.html

Thank you!
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-4-2007 at 08:25 AM

YUP,
That's the Idea ! I think a 3m may be a bit better size to start unless you have real big winds.
Foils are near un-breakable + simple to fly. Since you will be crashing the kite A LOT while learning they are the best bet. Inflatables can pop and so are better left to water at 1st.
Trainer kites hold great re-sale value. Mostly because most folks never sell theirs. They are just too much fun to part with.

If by kiteboarding / kitesurfing you mean flat water or waves. FLAT WATER !! + LESSONS !!!!!!!!!

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 27-4-2007 at 10:48 AM

What Snowbird meant by foil is a "regular" open cell kite and what was left unsaid but implied is that it also has a fixed bridle.

Fixed bridle means the the bridles are sewn/ tied in place and do not move. The rear/ Brake lines bend the back of the kite like an airplane flap. This differs from a de-power kite where the entire airfoil section of the kite is moved in order to change the angle of attack of the kite to power it up or down. this is done by moving the control bar in or out over the front lines, which are fixed to your harness.

Water born kitebarding kites are a form of de-power kites. The power it takes to pull you out of the water dictates that these kites are huge and can really hurt you badly without professional instruction.

Smaller land-based fixed bridle foils are recommended as trainers as they are easier to fly, affordable, fun and introduce you to the basics of 4-line kite flying. They are not de-power, but as such a e less complicated and serve as a good introduction. Mistakes made with these will be evident and instructive but generally not violent or lethal (unless you fly in stupid high winds).

A frequently recommended kite in this category is the Beamer TSR from HQ in a size like 3.6 meter (square). It comes with a 4-line control bar, whch allows steering and braking but is simpler than a de-power.

Just find a PASA certified instructor and they will set you straight.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
powerzone

[*] posted on 15-5-2007 at 02:07 PM

You need to contact Mike at North Texas Kite Sports. he'll take care of you getting into the sport.

mike@northtexaskitesports.com

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio