Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Session Ends with Fire Truck & Ambulance Visit
SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-5-2007 at 07:55 PM
Session Ends with Fire Truck & Ambulance Visit

I got in a quick afternoon session at the nearby lake today since it's only 5 mins from my house.

Things were going well with the 10m P3 until I heard sirens nearby.

I thought maybe someone was in trouble. Then I see them (1 Firetruck, 1 Ambulance & 2 Police cars) pull right up to where I parked my truck.

Looked like a water rescue team was assembling. Turns out they got a call from someone driving by on the interstate.

The caller said a parachuter was in trouble - and that he landed in the lake and looked like he was having difficulties getting to shore.

I felt terrible that these guys went through all the trouble to come save a beginner Kite Surfer!

Anyway, we worked out a deal that I'll call and give them a heads up before I go out the lake.

What a crazy day...

Foil Kites: Flysurfer 12m Sonic 4, 10m Soul V2, Peak 5s and 5.5m Hybrid
LEIs: 9m Naish Pivot, 12m Naish Phoenix
Land: 16" Dirtsurfer GP
H20: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, Slingshot 103cm Hope Craft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
krumly

[*] posted on 5-5-2007 at 11:08 AM

Man, Da Vinch, that is too funny.

Guess there's a shortage of kiteboarders in Iowa. That crazy parachuter just kept coming down, going up, coming down...

krumly
speleopower

[*] posted on 2-6-2007 at 07:06 PM

That's funny.
I had a similar thing happen to me 2 times. Once was back in 1998 during one of my first kitesurfing sessions. Firetrucks and an ambulance showed up along with the police boat. I guess noone had seen a kitesurfer before. I was happily surfing away and my friends on the beach explained what was going on. They stayed and watched for awhile. The police boat left without coming to close.

The second time was a bit more serious. This was in 2005 I believe. It was the day before hurricane Jeanne hit Florida. I was out wave kiting using my Quadrifoil Competition XL. I was way out and made bottom turn on the biggest wave I could pick out. I biffed dropped my kite and had a pleasent swim/surf in. I was hoping my kite would wash up. About 30minutes after I got to the beach I saw some people pulling on something about 4 blocks south of me. I knew it was my kite :singing: I ran down and got it the rest of the way out of the water without any damage. The people said that the rescue squad was on it's way. I said thanks but I don't need rescuing 'cause I'm on the beach.

I'm thankful someone was at least paying attention to the water. I'm afraid in the size surf and wind that was happening out there a rescue squad 30 minutes late would not have been of much use if I was truely in trouble. The waves were probably double plus overhead.

Scott

Quadrifoil Competition XXXL x2
Quadrifoil Competition XXL
Quadrifoil Competition XM
Quadrifoil Q2000 5 meter
Quadrifoil Q2000 4 meter
Quadrifoil Qebra 3 meter
Flexifoil Blade IV 4.9 meter
Flexifoil Blade 3 10.5 meter

Flexifoil Kava
7\'3\" Hana Crew custom
6\'6\" Hana Crew custom-on Saipan
F-One 7\'3\"
Cabrina 5\'6\"-for sale
2x homebrew plywood wake/kite boards
xxxBUGGYPILOTXXX

Mood: ANY DAY KITING BEATS ANY OTHER DAY!!! :)

[*] posted on 2-9-2007 at 05:21 PM

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio