Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: trouble on last Saturday
xxxBUGGYPILOTXXX

Mood: ANY DAY KITING BEATS ANY OTHER DAY!!! :)

[*] posted on 15-2-2008 at 02:34 PM

bigkahuna

[*] posted on 16-2-2008 at 12:46 AM

Hi Lee,

I'm glad you survived your ordeal and hopefully have learned a lesson or two from it. I can only imagine how cold the water is up north in Delaware as it's plenty cold enough here in NC for me (48 F).

I've been kitesurfing for 8 years and have done some pretty bone-headed things in that time. Perhaps the two stupidest things I've done were a) going out when the wind is blowing off shore (I was in Hawaii and out with Jeff Tobias and a couple other buddies, we all ended up swimming in) and b) using a leash (that bad habit stopped when I ended up driving a friend to the hospital because his board hit him... he was also wearing a leash).

Now I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I will tell you that I don't do either of those things any more. I don't go out in any conditions or any further off shore than I'm ready to swim in. Now that I'm in NC where the water gets cold, I factor in hypothermia into the equation and don't go out any further than I think I can swim with a wetsuit and in cold water. I'm 52 and plan on living at least a couple more years ;)

Have fun out there...
barnes

Mood: Wind!

[*] posted on 16-2-2008 at 02:57 PM

My teacher. :yes:

Happy to hear you were able to get everything together. I always fear a situation like that. Only trouble I had in my very short time kitesurfing during my lesson, I learned that when the wind just dies out, your screwed. I also learned that 4 foot waters and a jetski 10 feet from you is convenient. I can't wait to come down and ride with you when it starts warming up. Then you have to come up and ride Lakes Bay with the Atlantic Kiteboarding crew! Teach Rich that foils aren't trash!

Don't worry guys, I'll keep my eye on Brain from now on! :wink2:

Kites: 16m PL Scorpion, 9m & 14m 06 Best Waroo
Vehicles: Thrift store snowboard, fraken-ATB, Old Litewave water board.
strictlycarved

[*] posted on 16-2-2008 at 03:03 PM

dude that sucks that cut and black eye looked pretty bad. i guess ill never get a board leash, lesson learned early.

5m beamer
strike 2 9m
dakine fusion
peter lynn arc 1120
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio