Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Static questions
jjesseday

[*] posted on 14-4-2024 at 01:38 PM
Static questions

So I'm getting back into kiting and having a hard time figuring out what I want as usual. A couple years ago I used to do static flying and then I moved to kite buggying. Because of work and other hobbies I left the sport and sold all my gear. Except for a couple kites. One was a 1.2 m sting. I took that out a few weeks ago and got rehooked. Since then I bought a 2 m hornet, a 3.5 m HQ alpha, and a 5 m beamer. I only plan on flying static at this point. I Don't have the time nor am I in the right location to make buggying a part of my life at this time. So here's my question is what sizes should I have in my quiver if I want to just go out and do some scudding on the beach? I flew the 3.5 alpha today and I must say that it was a pretty boring kite. I would say that it would be nice to be able to fly in between 6-8 mph wind all the way up to 25 ish. I am really in love with the 2 m hornet I just got. I know that it is not a high aspect ratio kite but I think I kind of like that for something so small. I feel like the small ones are the ones that hurt you so it's nice to have a little bit more of a calm kite in the 2 meter range in my opinion. But here's where I'm struggling. If I want to go to the beach is there a way I can do it and just take a couple of kites or do I need like three? And what size do I get? I pretty much decided I'm going to get rid of the alpha because I find it boring. I was thinking about picking up a four meter hornet but don't know if that would be too slow in that size. I've seen a few blades from the UK that I could get. I know that they are supposedly a dangerous kite but if I don't plan on doing jumping or anything doesn't it make some sense to have a higher AR kite in the larger size so that I can fly in lower wind? If you guys can only have a couple kites for that wind range what would be your choices?
Thanks for the tips!

Sting 1.2, 2.4
Pl hornet 2m
3.5 rage
4, 4.9 blade

SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-4-2024 at 10:39 PM

If I was only flying static and wanted to get pulled/dragged around on the beach for fun, I would buy a Flexifoil Blade again. Loved the 4.9m!

And I really enjoyed flying my old Mac Para Begos (400/600).

Also had a small 2.2m Ozone Yakuza race kite that was super fun to fly static at beach.

Not sure what your typical wind speeds are there, but it's nice to have several kites to cover the range...

Foil Kites: Flysurfer 12m Sonic 4, 10m Soul V2, Peak 5s and 5.5m Hybrid
LEIs: 9m Naish Pivot, 12m Naish Phoenix
Land: 16" Dirtsurfer GP
H20: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, Slingshot 103cm Hope Craft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
ssayre
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-4-2024 at 05:56 AM

I'm in a similar situation as far as not having the right location and desire to buggy anymore but still enjoy static occasionally. I had a 6.6 blade III back in the day that was a lot of fun at the beach in low winds. 8 meter toxic was fun static in very low wind. Not sure I have any recommendations other than what you are already thinking. I've been wanting to get a revolution style kite for fun.
B-Roc
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-4-2024 at 11:30 AM

I would go with a low aspect 2m for honking days, a mid to high aspect (blade like) 4m and then a high aspect 6m so you can jump or have fun on low wind days. I weigh 150# and I'm not sure if anyone makes kites like I describe anymore.

Depower Quiver: 14m Gin Eskimo, 10m Gin Eskimo III, 6m Gin Yeti, 4.5m Gin Yeti (custom bridle and mixer)
Fixed Bridle Quiver: MAC Bego 400, JOJO ET Instinct 2.5 & 5.5, Lil Devil 1.5, Sting 1.2
Rides: Ground Industries
SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-4-2024 at 03:08 PM

I remember we had a 5m Pansh Ace going around for demo back in the day. I think they still make it - may be another option!

jjesseday

[*] posted on 15-4-2024 at 04:02 PM

I am glad to hear a couple of you mention Blades because I just bought the Blade IV 4m today ! I have been intimidated by blades because of everything I have heard about them but I am experienced enough to handle it I hope. I was having a hard time decided and tomdiving helped me decide. Well he said get them all actually but I can't afford it!

SecondWind - I was eyeing a 4.9 but that is a damn big kite for static although I may go bigger if I like this one.

Ssayre - A bigger blade will be next if I like this one. I had a whole quiver of the John Baressi Djinn kites that are like Revs. They are alot of fun but I didn't have the patience to get good at them. I feel much more at home wrestling a kite! I have never flown a Pansh but maybe someday I will. The cheap prices deter me for some reason.

B-Roc Just bought a 4m blade today! I have been thinking about jumping. I remember researching it before when I was getting into kiting but I don't think I will do it just to avoid hospital bills. Looks super fun though so you never know...

Sting 1.2, 2.4
Pl hornet 2m
3.5 rage
4, 4.9 blade

SecondWind
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 15-4-2024 at 05:56 PM

Great choice! I had a Blade IV 4m before.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio