Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thinking about trying a directional...
lunchbox
Posting Freak

Mood: Feeling Lucky...

question.gif posted on 6-7-2007 at 12:21 PM
Thinking about trying a directional...

Wanted some advice before trying a directional...here's my situation -

I am a newbie...been riding a handful of times (water) but not able to go upwind yet (A lot better on land!).

I am currently using a PL Venom 2 19 and an old Slingshot LFT (for the float). Since I can only go to the beach once a week and the wind as been very light (av 12mph) I was thinking about putting some NSI pads on my 6' 8" surfboard. I'm 220lbs (before wetsuit, impact vest, harness, etc).

The LFT is a big floaty board, but in 12mph, I get riding about 10ft...then I have to redirect the kite and because of the wind speed and the 19's slow response, I'm basically back in the water before I'm able to dive the kite again.

I'm thinking it's going to be difficult to bury the edge on the waterstart using my surfboard and I also can't jibe so I'll have to stop and switch stance when I go back the other direction, but it's got to be better than what I'm trying to do now!

Does this sound like a good approach? I'd love to hear some pro's/con's. BTW, can't really afford a directional specifically designed for kiteboarding, at least not now.

Thanks.
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 6-7-2007 at 02:19 PM

The surfboard should work although it will be a drag not being able to jibe. Try worrying less about getting upwind right away and think about getting speed. Be happy to do down winders at 1st. Folks around here love their surfboards for low wind.
A LOT of folks make there own low wind boards from wood. They often use the Flysurfer " Fly door " as a model. They call them PLY doors !

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Pablo
Posting Freak

Mood: Stoked

[*] posted on 6-7-2007 at 05:34 PM

I've simply taken a sheet of marine grade ply, cut it out to a large board shape, bolted some nylon straps to it and it works great in light winds. Another problem is that the ARCs aren't low wind kites, the large ones are made for large riders in normal winds. You could try looping the kite hard if it'll loop.

Ken's right, the key is to keep the board flat, start with your knees bent and sort of roll onto the board, keep it fairly flat until you've picked up a little speed, don't fully stand up and edge hard until you're moving at a good clip. If you push too hard at edging and trying to load the kite and cruise upwind you'll probably stall the kite and end up back in the drink. Low wind with my 16S usually takes 2-3 pumps to get up and planing.

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

0.7m / 1.4m / 2.0m PKD Buster I
4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access
lunchbox
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-7-2007 at 06:59 AM

Thanks for the replies....going to bring my surfboard and give it a shot if the wind is light. BTW, in the light winds I was just trying to go downwind, I only mentioned 'upwind' to state my ability level.
bigkahuna

[*] posted on 7-7-2007 at 05:21 PM

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I weigh 245, been flying a Venom 19 and fairly large board. Works like a champ when the wind is over 15mph, and gets to be real fun as the wind approaches 20mph, but under 15mph forget it. I picked up a new North Rhino 06 20m (complete) for $650 and it's made things much better. I'm now able to go out in 11-12 mph and can stay upwind when the wind is consistently over 12 mph. I bought a super cheap 6'2" fish and will give that a go next. I love my V19, but in winds under 15mph it just won't do it. Get an inflato, they work so much better in the super light stuff and cost 1/3 of a Flysurfer. Just my 2 cents...
lunchbox
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 09:34 AM

Didn't think a tube could fly in that light of wind.....:thumbup:

Let me know how that fish works for you BK...BTW, what's the top end on that venom for you...

I'm also wondering when I should switch out my 19 for the 13 --- 17mph, perhaps? Or could I get away with 15mph....Love the quick turning of the 13.

Thx.
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 10:31 AM

The 1st person surfing around here for the previous couple of years is selling his secret weapon. It's a 26 meter Flysurfer P2. He was able to get going in 5 - 7 mph winds with it. I think he's asking $900 cdn for it but I expect he's open to offers.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
Pablo
Posting Freak

Mood: Stoked

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 10:30 PM

Another biggie is board selection, I thought the size is all that mattered, I was on a 186 twin tip today, huge board, long and narrow. I'm 250lbs, wind was 12-15knots. I got up and planing no problem, good kite control, good board control, tonnes of power out of the sail. Just couldn't go upwind at all, trouble staying on plane with the board as well. I did learn a bunch about tweaking a kite, learned lots of board related stuff. Just frustrated at the lack of upwind ability.

I asked the local experts when I got back in what they though my main problem was. They all suggested lighting the board on fire, dancing around it, then buying a newer board, something in the 150x45 range, emphasis on the width more than the length. Something with a lot less rocker on it than my current board as well. Most of them were somewhat impressed that I even managed to get up on my "Sea Anchor" as they described it.

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

0.7m / 1.4m / 2.0m PKD Buster I
4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access
lunchbox
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-7-2007 at 07:45 AM

I actually heard board selection was more important than size of kite (obviously chosen kite has to be within wind range).

Had a chance to go kitesurfing on Sunday...Unfortunately, according to some people on the beach, Saturday was better. :thumbdown: I brought my board but surf was headhigh to a couple of feet overhead so I didn't feel comfortable trying the board that day (not with a kite that is). Maybe next week. Still had the same problem as before, staying up on the board was difficult (LFT. Wind was anywhere from 8mph to 14mph). Like to think it was partly to do with the wind and not all to do with the rider ;)

Spoke to a good rider on the beach who helped me adjust the internal straps for better upwind/more depower so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Snowbird, thx for the heads up on that 26m. Sounds like a scary kite...part kite/part paraglider :o
rossc

[*] posted on 13-7-2007 at 02:47 PM

Short of buying a better kite, a bigger board is probably in order. Directionals are cool if you can jibe. I prefer twintips. I'm 250 and can ride in sub10mph on a JL Flightdeck with either a 16.5m Ion2 or a 17m Slingshot TD2. The TD2 relaunches easily in sub10mph. The Ion2 is a struggle in low winds but flies better once it's in the air. I'm usually on the TD2 in very low winds just for the easy relaunch.
speleopower

[*] posted on 8-8-2007 at 08:39 PM

My favorite kiteboard is modelled after the long F-One board it's about 7'8" long 3" thick. Works wonders in light winds and waves.
I've been riding it for years and years.
The picture below shows the F-One board in very light wind. The kite is a Quadrifoil Competition XXXL.
Scott

maddie photo 6.11.03.JPG - 21kB

Quadrifoil Competition XXXL x2
Quadrifoil Competition XXL
Quadrifoil Competition XM
Quadrifoil Q2000 5 meter
Quadrifoil Q2000 4 meter
Quadrifoil Qebra 3 meter
Flexifoil Blade IV 4.9 meter
Flexifoil Blade 3 10.5 meter

Flexifoil Kava
7\'3\" Hana Crew custom