Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Interesting history bite
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-7-2007 at 12:32 PM
Interesting history bite

I was watching a video by Redbull that came with a kitesurf magazine last night. It's all about the history of kitesurfing on the water.
It would seem that one of the 3 driving factors / personalities in bringing the sport to the masses was FLASH AUSTIN. Flash was a buggy nut from Florida in the 90's. All on his own he took off with his foil and a skim ( sand ) board. He would have adds tacked to his foil and ride down the Florida coast.
There is a great segment of him when he landed in Hawaii. He put straps on a surf board and went out with his foil on handles ( bars were just being invented ??) . In the segment Robbie Naish and others are just getting a look at " the Floridian Jumping Bean " and seeing the potential in the sport. Right off the start Flash was the King of the Air.

I was aware of Flash's past from watching the sport grow but seeing it on the video reminded me that lots of folks probably don't know what a big contribution we / Flash made to the development of kitesurfing. :cool:

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
windzup

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 07:48 AM

Word! Flash is my Kitesurf hero...he had style from day one and was opening doors people never saw were there. I am still trying to learn some of the simple stunts he used to pull. And he always rode direction developing the mutant style of board riding.

Where is the man now? Kitesurfing could use a solid character like him on the front lines again.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio