Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Would this be a good lightwind board
lunchbox
Posting Freak

Mood: Feeling Lucky...

question.gif posted on 6-8-2007 at 09:53 AM
Would this be a good lightwind board

http://www.kiteoutlet.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/22/...

Like the price and looks like it would have a good surfboard feel to it. But would it be able to get me going < 12mph? I'm sure a lot of people would say, why bother, but I'd be happy just to do a long downwinder and do the walk of shame.

I'm about 220lbs and my current light wind gear is a PL Venom 19 and a Slingshot LFT.

Thanks.
Pablo
Posting Freak

Mood: Stoked

[*] posted on 6-8-2007 at 10:51 AM

at 12mph winds, 16m Scorpion and 250lbs, I can barely get up on a LF 151 proof, Once I'm up and riding as long as I can carry some speed I can stay up wind until it gets under 10mph. In the really light stuff I do better on my cheapo 150x45 plyboard, upwind in 10mph(barely) riding till about 8mph. 16S is pretty close to power to the 19V.

Although that board looks sweet, I'm a little concerned with the size, at 220lbs, a 135 should be your high/normal wind board size.

It's not so much the lenght of the board as the width, my old Orly 186 twin tip wouldn't keep me up in anything under 15mph, not upwind till closer to 18. but it was only something like 35cm wide, the 151 proof is something like 42cm wide, plyboard is 45cm wide. look for very little rocker and a wide board.

While for hard powered up seasoned riding the 151 will leave you a little wanting, I found it to be a really sweet board for comfortable upwind riding for a big guy in light winds, you will probably end up wanting something smaller for cranking winds.

Link to the 151 proof
http://www.skypilotkiteboarding.com/shop/product_info.php?cP...

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

0.7m / 1.4m / 2.0m PKD Buster I
4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access
leebrianh

[*] posted on 6-8-2007 at 11:06 AM

For light wind, Spleene Door64 is the one. I think "powerzone" here sells it. - Brian
lunchbox
Posting Freak

Mood: Feeling Lucky...

[*] posted on 6-8-2007 at 01:05 PM

From reading Pablo's comments, I've decided not to purchase that board...Thanks Pablo.

Re: Brian's comment about the Door. Read lots of good things about that board. Question I have is, I know that board has a lot of length and width and according to Pablo, width is an important element in light wind riding, but how critical is volume?

I'm wondering if the Door is going to be any better than my LFT and maybe I need to start looking at surf boards...heck, I got a 6'6" and a 7'0" that I can just put straps on,,,but then again, I'd probably have to learn how to jibe... and burying the rail on takeoff would take some getting used to.
...and then the extra weight of the surfboard might cause drag???

Well, surfboard vs. Door...what to do?
rrc62

[*] posted on 7-8-2007 at 07:08 AM

I'm looking forward to trying a Door...Either the Monster Door or the Door64. The parabolic shape is what I find interesting and I don't know if their low wind performance has more to do with that or their large volume. Everyone who rides the Door sure seems to love it. Not much info on the Monster Door out there. There is nothing even on the Spleene website about it. I'd like to see a photo and see how far the footpads are offset to the heel side.
powerzone

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 09:50 AM

the monster door is a bit rediculous.... only if youre 300 lbs and want to go in 10knots....

the standard doors are just fine and work really well..... the best upwind i've ever experienced, no foot spray, super smooth, dont even have to try to go upwind....

they're awesome. thats why there are ZERO used ones for sale in the world, noone wants to part with em.

Former Flysurfer Representative & Repair Center
Pablo
Posting Freak

Mood: Stoked

[*] posted on 9-8-2007 at 05:24 PM

Yup, the door is an awesome board, Seen lots of locals getting a ride in on the 164 in almost no wind.

I'd have to say that it's more width and cut/rocker than straight up volume that affects the low wind riding, I couldn't even stay up let alone upwind on my Orly 186, same winds, no problem on the 151 proof, my orly was only something like 35cm wide though, the 151 was 42 wide. The orly also has a lot of rocker, probably great in the surf, does well in chop, but soo much drag. Now my plyboard, with basically 3/4 of an inch of rocker is extremely fast in lighter winds, no fins, no rocker, goes upwind great, but somewhat sketchy to ride until you get used to it.

If you can find a door, they're wicked, if not, the 151 proof is a fairly cheap board. Also, there's a couple guys riding surf boards with no straps locally, seem to work fine, once you get up you can shuffle your feet to the right spots. Some of the guys preffer to drop at the end of their run, spin the board around and start the other way to avoid losing ground with a wipeout.

Sysmic S1 Buggy.

0.7m / 1.4m / 2.0m PKD Buster I
4.4m PKD Buster
10m JoJo RM+

6m Flysurfer Outlaw
12m Ozone Access

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio