Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: inflatable vs foil
strictlycarved

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 12:48 PM
inflatable vs foil

okay so im reading around and wondering what are the pros and cons of both. anything will help thanks
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 6-1-2008 at 02:19 PM

They are more comparable by applications then pros & cons, I think, but here are some quick generalizations...

Two type of Inflatables... LEI (Leading Edge Inflatable), and twinskins Like Peter Lynn Arcs and Flysurfers.

LEI's: High pressure tubular bladders on leading edge and strtus support sail shape. Water re-launchable. Almost always on the water and sized for power needed to pluck you our of the water. Most argue that they are not suitable for land use (but nothing is stopping you) because they are more fragile and puncture prone on land. A puncture kills the kite pretty much. Always on a de-power bar (moveable control bar sheets kite in and out, changing angle of attack and power output)

Twinskin: Inflation vents and one way vents in leading edge inflate entire kite between top and bottom skin like a big soft air mattress. Sized and used for land, snow and water. Water relaunchable (some easier than others). Not as fragile for land use- a tear will not "pop" the kite and necessarily kill it right away. Also always on a de-power bar (that I have seen).

Foils: Can be small, inexpensive fixed bridle (not de-power) on handles or control bar (again, not de-power), or can be larger sophisticated rigs with moveable bridle on a de-power bar. Can be enough power for the water, but turns into laundry on-a string when it hits the water (not water relaunchable). Efficient planform - more flat bow shape and less horseshoe- make them size for size more powerful than traditional "C" LEI's and even modern Bow Hybrids (Flysurfers the exception being inflatable twinskins with flatter planform like a foil). Fixed bridle foils are suitable for all forms of kiting including static recreational flying. De-power rigs are better when kept moving in a buggy, on skis, or land board, to get their value and de-power performance.

Some will take issue with my broad categorizations, but it's a simple start.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 18-2-2008 at 01:01 PM

in general the inflatables, the rig is just heavier and requires more wind. i have a 6m lei and it needs 15knot to bring it alive. it will fly in lighter wind but the effective power window is small. a foil is very light and can be flown in a wide range 5-30mph. a foil packs easy and set up is quicker. and 2-3 can fit into a back pack. i added a 10m lei for land use but the exchange is more gear and and need a good 14-16knots to get some quick handling. something like a flysurfer voodoo 10m is probably best of both worlds. easy in light winds no pump, plenty of power at 10mph.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
DenisLaMenace

[*] posted on 18-2-2008 at 01:57 PM

USA_Eli_A
Posting Freak

Mood: Ozone For Life

[*] posted on 18-2-2008 at 03:57 PM

you'll need both. both are good and with both in your bag you can kite all the sports
DenisLaMenace

[*] posted on 28-1-2009 at 02:21 PM

sorry kind of the cartoon has gone

was very funny anyway

Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 28-1-2009 at 03:46 PM

I think the main reason people are shy of Twin skins on water is that they have the mistaken impression that your kite should float you home in times of trouble. They feel added protection with an inflatable ?

The main reason people shy away from using LEI's on land is the increased chance of popping a bladder. If you hit hard enough to damage your leading edge and bladder odds are you would have damage to a twin skin or foil as well ? Ocean Rodeo and Best make some pretty tough LEI's well suited to land. If you think about it most water kiters launch and land on land The most likely time to damage your kite !

LOTS of folks use LEI's on land and love them ! Unfortunately the water crowd aren't so quick to accept twin skins !

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
DenisLaMenace

[*] posted on 28-1-2009 at 05:48 PM

found the image

comic_low.jpg - 137kB

USA_Eli_A
Posting Freak

Mood: Ozone For Life

[*] posted on 29-1-2009 at 12:38 PM

get a load of both. it's a good idea to have inflatables and foils.

older foils both fixed and "sheeet-able" from about 2003 now have good performance...AND SAFETY! so find some and buy them...followed directly by learning...and ENJOYING. I found a 13m instinct 5 lines with stupid proof technology for $400...you could ride a surfboard in 10mph with it!..

eventually you'll have many of both...

"I NEED A BIGGER U2U INBOX"
-ELI

nwsurfwakeskate

Mood: itching to ride!

[*] posted on 29-1-2009 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DenisLaMenace
found the image

haha flysurfers get you babes!!!

I like the message that was sending

Photoalbum: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23940329@N05/