Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Noob kitesurfer!!
Stallion87

[*] posted on 19-3-2008 at 12:02 PM
Noob kitesurfer!!

Hey guys. Im 21 shortly from scotland, seen some guys kitesurfing for the first time in scotland a few months back while i was working and they looked like they were having a blast!

As my birthday is coming up soon i thought about getting started. Im going to be getting a half day training with a kite firstly and then i thought about buying a Radsail 3m Eolo (sp) kite as it looks like a good beginner kite or something along that size wise. I also thought that buying a "control bar" would be good because i feel with the handles id be inclined to use it like a car steering wheel due to the hand positions. I planned on the lesson on kiting first and then to buy my own kite, then practice with it till i get the hang of it for a few weeks before pruchasing a board for the water... then another lesson on that!

The lessons i would be taking use a traction kite? Is this the same kite as used in kiteboarding/surfing as i wasnt sure.

Hopefully someone can lend me some advice, Cheers!
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-3-2008 at 01:29 PM

You are better prepared than most people who start out. Your plan is a good one :thumbup:

It will depend on the school if they set you up with a trainer foil or a trainer depower kite. The radsail and the plan to fly it a few weeks between lessons is a good one. Getting it on to a bar is not essential but will be a minor advantage since your water kites will be on a bar.

If you have a choice, choose a school with a Jet ski. I found having the person right there was very helpful + comforting.

Practice sitting on your butt , diving the kite to create power, get pulled up and then run it out as though you are water starting.

Go to www.kitesurfingshool.org for excellent advice.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
bigkahuna

[*] posted on 19-3-2008 at 01:40 PM

Sounds like you're getting started in the right direction. Taking lessons is IMHO the best way to get started.

Quote:
The lessons i would be taking use a traction kite? Is this the same kite as used in kiteboarding/surfing as i wasnt sure.

I teach kitesurfing here and although many places may do things differently, most schools I know of typically start a student with a small traction kite on a bar, then after they've shown that they are comfortable with the "trainer" kite, give them a lesson with a small inflatable. The overwhelming majority of kiters here in the US use inflatables, but there are those who fly foils (Flysurfers) or arcs (Peter Lynns) on the water (I used to be one of them). I won't get into which is better, you'll get plenty of that from other kiters ;)
Stallion87

[*] posted on 19-3-2008 at 04:09 PM

Thanks snowbird and bigkahuna for the good replys! Well i feel theres a right way to do something and another way, so hopefully practice will help me to make better use of my learning days with the trainer and give me some confidence to progress or ask for advice on what i struggle on. Well ill get my lesson done first and then ill be back asking on here some options of kites i could buy for a starter kit. Cheers.

Ah i didnt even realise you got different types of kites. I saw a video on the kitiesurfingschool and it was an inflatebale so i suspected they were all like that! So much to learn, got a bit reading to do!
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-3-2008 at 04:35 PM

Almost as many kites as opinions out there :smug:

Here is a run down:

Foil kites: Parachute like. They can be open cell , best for land and some have a fixed bridle , best for buggies and ATB . They can also be open cell and Depowerable, Best for snow and changable winds. Closed cell and Depower, best for water.

Inflatables : LEI . Originally came as C shaped kites. Bow shaped kites incorperating a bridle then entered the picture giving more depower. Hybrids followed they are a combination.

C kites 2005 and older are VERY cheap these days. If you are on a tight budget they are worth a look . Just be sure they are 5th line equiped.
Bow kites have a rep for being beginer friendly. Some say too friendly. QUALITY used is a good way to go for your 1st kites . You will be very hard on them at 1st.

Here is a good link for kite selections:
http://www.coastalwindsports.com/ChoosingAKite.html

Here is a link to my favorite links:
http://www.powerkitecanada.com/viewtopic.php?t=31

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 17-4-2008 at 05:12 AM

If you havent done alot or any land flying the PL Arcs with auto zenith seem to be a good one to start on or the Flysurfer Pulse. The reason I say this is the PL stay in the air and the Pulse being a lower AR kite, water relaunch very easy. I could add the best Bularoo is pretty damn sweet too. Ive had a recent go with a 13m and its impressive to say the least. Very stable and water relaunch was easy. Good luck...............

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio