Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kite surfer getsw slammed by Fay
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 09:05 AM
Kite surfer getsw slammed by Fay

talk about thin the herd....

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/weather/2008/08/19/florida....

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
kiteNH

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 09:12 AM

This is all over the national news. Three threads on the PKF alone!

I can't believe that people were actually out kiting in those conditions. Especially so close to such an urban area. Cars, buildings, powerlines. Really bad for the sport if you ask me. It makes kiters look like reckless thrill chasers with no regard for anyone else's safety.

The only good news is that this guy is supposed to make a full recovery and hopefully it will keep someone else from going out in a storm and killing themselves (or someone else).

domdino

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 10:07 AM

That is shockingly irresponsible :( i just don't understand how things like this happen, especially when you're in the company of other kiters
We reallllly don't need the bad press too many beaches are being closed down already :puzzled::puzzled:

JoJo1

Mood: stoked 4 JoJo's

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by domdino
That is shockingly irresponsible :( i just don't understand how things like this happen, especially when you're in the company of other kiters
We reallllly don't need the bad press too many beaches are being closed down already :puzzled::puzzled:

No Doubt, No Doubt this is the last thing kiting needs for sure is folks doing stuff like this I for sure don't understand what these guys were thinking. I guess they need some responsible kiters to tell them they should not be out in stuff like that at least in healvily poplulated area. It is one thing o push the limits in an area that nobody is around, but this was not the place for it at all.
I do hope the guy is all right and makes a full recovery and most importantly learns from his mistake.

Big John

Full set of JoJo RM+ kites 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 10.0, 12.0, 14.0
Libre custom heavy duty full race
libre custom heavy duty bigfoot with custom adjustable front drop tube, custom rear drop plates and custom weight set
domdino

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 10:37 AM

Yeah i didn't mean to sound like an ass hole :)
Goes without saying i hope he makes a full recovery and i wish him my best, and i know how they probably feel in florida, they've gone months without any kind of decent wind so i guess that makes you so antsy you'll try and go out in this kind of thing... it's just a shame this particular incident has had so much press coverage :(

kiteNH

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
... it's just a shame this particular incident has had so much press coverage :(

That's what getting caught on camera will do. The youtube link will probably get forwarded around the internet for the next decade or so. :no:

JoJo1

Mood: stoked 4 JoJo's

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah i didn't mean to sound like an ass hole :)
Goes without saying i hope he makes a full recovery and i wish him my best, and i know how they probably feel in florida, they've gone months without any kind of decent wind so i guess that makes you so antsy you'll try and go out in this kind of thing... it's just a shame this particular incident has had so much press coverage :(

You didn't sound like an ass hole bro just a responsible kiter wishing they had thought about their actions before they went for it:yes:.

I think we have all had a crazy weather season around the globe. I know in my neck of the woods we had a spring that was nothing, but nuclear wind like I like to call it 15 gusting to 60 mph and that was when a storm was not coming worse when it was.
Then we went into summer and either no wind or very light conditions which is fine for me, but not the rest of my buddies as they don't like to play in the light stuff.
Finally we have been getting some good conditions and then the rain has set in for record amounts in August what a weird weather year.

I do understand what these guys were going through wanting to go out and play and not having proper conditions for long periods will make a guy do crazy stuff when he needs his kite fix.

Big John

Full set of JoJo RM+ kites 2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 10.0, 12.0, 14.0
Libre custom heavy duty full race
libre custom heavy duty bigfoot with custom adjustable front drop tube, custom rear drop plates and custom weight set
leebrianh

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 11:47 AM

While I was watching the video, I was thinking "what would I have done?" Of course the answer was "activate (or release) safety system."

That got me thinking. I've got two different system, one is previous Flysurfer quick release, which works by pulling a red ball, and the other system is new Flysurfer quick release, which works by pushing it away.

So, it got me thinking about "would I have been able to think if it's PULL or PUSH system when I hit the ground like that? Probably not.

I am changing all my quick release system to "push" just like new Flysurfer quick release or North Iron Heart.
KiteProject

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 12:57 PM

Before entering this sport, people should spend some time learning to respect nature. Read books, watch videos like this, do what you have to but accept the fact that you can't beat nature. Nature i.e. wind will always win. This guy wasn't the only one, there were few other on the beach rolling the dice. 55+ mph winds (??) are classified as a storm conditions. Getting hurt by a brave kiter or having their property destroyed is the last thing people want in this economy.
domdino

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by leebrianh
While I was watching the video, I was thinking "what would I have done?" Of course the answer was "activate (or release) safety system."

That got me thinking. I've got two different system, one is previous Flysurfer quick release, which works by pulling a red ball, and the other system is new Flysurfer quick release, which works by pushing it away.

So, it got me thinking about "would I have been able to think if it's PULL or PUSH system when I hit the ground like that? Probably not.

I am changing all my quick release system to "push" just like new Flysurfer quick release or North Iron Heart.

I know he was hit pretty hard and it looks like he must of accidentally given the kite a dive as well and when he tried to stabalize the kite it gave him and almighty ping! I had a squall hit me once back in 04 on my guerilla13, moderate winds then suddenly 35-40mph, i tried to pull my safety but i had done too many rotations and the safety wouldnt go through, got pulled through all kinds of fields till i filly managed to yank the thing off my harness... That's when i bought a new harness with a quick release intact :D I also learnt i need to pay much closer attention to the clouds :)

I would definitely not even launch a kite if i knew there was a tropical storm around though :o i think my balls have shrunk as i've grown older

KiteProject

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 01:53 PM

It'd be useful to the new as well as experienced kiters to have all this information and experiences available in a single thread. How about it? Let's create a thread about accidents and safety so that everyone can see what are the dos-dont's of safe kiting.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by leebrianh

I know he was hit pretty hard and it looks like he must of accidentally given the kite a dive as well and when he tried to stabalize the kite it gave him and almighty ping! I had a squall hit me once back in 04 on my guerilla13, moderate winds then suddenly 35-40mph, i tried to pull my safety but i had done too many rotations and the safety wouldnt go through, got pulled through all kinds of fields till i filly managed to yank the thing off my harness... That's when i bought a new harness with a quick release intact :D I also learnt i need to pay much closer attention to the clouds :)

I would definitely not even launch a kite if i knew there was a tropical storm around though :o i think my balls have shrunk as i've grown older
action jackson

Mood: wind-holic

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 03:31 PM

If you read Rick I report, it was only blowing 16mph before the 60mph gust hit. The other kiters on the beach just came in underpowered. Just reminds you to read the weather your whole session not just at take off...........aj FYI here is his current condition:

Health Status:
Stable; induced coma; unknown future

-Swelling in the brain (sub-something type of bleed)
-2-3 days analysis before we know more (CT Scan scheduled for today)
-26 stitches from center of eyebrow into scalp -Highest Rib broken -Broken Ankle -Possible Muscle Contusion in the back between Spine and Supporting Bones -Abrasions everywhere -Little Amnesia - EMT said its normal for head injuries like this. When he starts to come out of the induced coma he becomes a little combative - he's closterphobic/ doesn't know where he is

Ocean Rodeo Razors 8,10,12
Ocean Rodeo 5\'11 Surf series
PL Arcs 6,15m orange Phantoms 10,19m Venom 16m proto scorp ,synergy 12,
NPW\'s .5,2.8,6.9 and 15m skytex
145x49 crazy fly,Decay 142x42,aboards z- series 135x40
Pl xr+ buggy , Pl Kitecat hull #5
www.kittyhawkkites.com
www.wavesvillage.com
www.thekitexpo.com

\"Holding it down, since 20 knots!\"
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 04:07 PM

It's friggin' scary for sure. I'm super reluctant with any new kite until I fully understand the safety systems on it. It reminds me of skydiving lessons, doing the seemingly dumb routines over and over and over and over for no apparent reason until you actually jump and reflexes take over. I should make a point of releasing my safeties on purpose more often - it's not that hard to reload / relaunch and the reflex just might save my hide one day. Ditto that with the knife......I don't even know that I'd know where to find it if it all hit the fan.

I'll pray for that dude's recovery and be thankful that I can learn something from the situation as scary as it is....

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
WELDNGOD
Posting Freak

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 04:27 PM

Even on a good day , none of those kiters you saw had any business on that beach! I can hear the legislation already! " we must protect these foolish kite people from themselves, so let's make it illegal!" That 's just great:mad: Some Moron decides that tropical storm/ hurricane warnings mean "lets go kite boardin at an obviously "not good "spot , and we all catch hell:flaming: If it had been any other day,I would feel bad for the guy,but he knew there was a hurricane comin. So I feel like he's one of the morons(there were a few out there) that are gonna get my sport BANNED! I'm an azzhloe , and proud it!(but you won't catch me kitin in a place like that ,on a day like that! JMHO

DAMN MORONIC MORONS!

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

KiteProject

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 04:57 PM

In a sport like kiting when it's normal to switch your fb kite when the wind speed changes, it's common practise to read the whole weather report. In stormy conditions, stay home. Don't go and kite simply because you might think there is a window of opportunity to get the kite in the air while a hurricane is headed ur way.

Quote:
Originally posted by action jackson
If you read Rick I report, it was only blowing 16mph before the 60mph gust hit. The other kiters on the beach just came in underpowered. Just reminds you to read the weather your whole session not just at take off...........aj
Taper123

Mood: Ready for some sand!

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 05:26 PM

WHen he hit the ground would have been a good time to hit the safety... but that has to be a gut instinct reaction. When he was launched from there... was when you can see the light/dark line of the approaching storm. He looked like one of the last ones off the water, and got caught trying to get in a little more time.

Anyone who spends much time at the beach has seen it go from almost no wind to more than you might want in a very short time. Pay attention to what's going on... and pay attention to those little TROPICAL STORM WARNINGS as well. You might be underpowerd for a while, but when the storm line starts to approach, your window of opportunity to land your gear is pretty short sometimes. The weather can change incredibly quickly at the coast... Those were not really small LEI's in the video... he was late getting in and seriously paid the price... that's my opinion.

Be aware of the conditions...

What do you do with your foils?

Charger 8, 12, 19
Scorpion 10, 16
And other foils...

Flexifoil Bug, CrazyFly board, MBS atb
harddrive8

Mood: I feel like a kid waiting on Santa Clause!!!

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 06:21 PM

These guys deserve a Darwin award! I can't even fathom going out in winds like that, no matter the size of the kite or skill level. I agree with the previous posters that videos like this should be shown to people wanting to get into the sport to make them realize they need to be responsible for when and where to fly. Without starting on a huge rant about these people, I'll stop here...

HQ Beamer III 1.4m
HQ Beamer III 3.0m
Pansh Legend 4.5m
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 06:31 PM

i believe some areas requires a permit to fly , Dade county, may be a particular beach park/ launch area.

Speleopower do you know of permits required to fly in some Miami areas?

a demonstration of skills and knowledge to get access, in tight /populated spots.

this reminds me of the jet ski scene about 15-20 years ago.. same things lots of accidents/carelessness/limited to no regs...riders cutting into boats at 40mph with snap turns. all tragic and messy... The choice of our toys and the accidents that go with them.

an accident, conditions and site selection were poor, very true. still his intent same as us all when the wind is up.
I've been snatched by a gust just like DOMDINO out in crazy AZZ condition. more than once, it happens. usually so amp'd from the smokin ride the adrenalin saves you some how. and NO ONE around even laugh, cry or cringe.

part of the game my friends, sometimes the outer extremes of a sport are just completely mental.

thankful no one else was involved, lucky this time.

i hope for the riders recovery

we all have our limits, pray we all choose wisely for the sake of others safety and our own

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
WELDNGOD
Posting Freak

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 07:10 PM

my biggest beef with them ALL in the vid is WHERE they were flying.:o If you wanna go out where very few people are, with NO verticle obstructions i.e. WIDE OPEN SPACE! Then as the actors say "break a leg" ,but to fly in a populated ,tourist type beach is beyond irresponsible. I think they call it "RECKLESS ENDANGERMENT" , and that my kiter friends will get us treated like those idiotic skateboarders that screwed it up for everybody else! Hope he lives ,but I hope he doesn't breed with another MORON. MORON + MORON = MORE MORONIC MORON. This ain't over,glad I don't kite down there. I bet it won't take long before public safety officials shut em' downin that area. The sad fact is ,THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER! here's just a few rules from the flexifoil handbook:
Use extreme caution when using kite traction equip. as improper use may cause serious injury or even death!

Do not fly your kite near power lines,airports,roads,railways,people or animals.

Always keep plenty of space around you in all directions,especially DOWNWIND. Traction kites can pull you downwind for a considerable distance It all comes down to location, location,location.:no:

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

flexiblade

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 08:02 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments provided earlier on this post, irresponsible kiting and the sensationalizing of such will mean the end of our sport. We all know our limits through one experience or another and have learned from them.

The comments about the use of a quick release are a personal thing with me. I've been thrown violently a few times out of my bug at an average distance of 20 to 30 feet in winds 25 and 35mph using a 2.3m firebee (which I don't use anymore - way too twichy in high winds). In those instances the time to react is near impossible, your mind goes into a stall as the world moves horizontally about you until you hit something (usually the ground). I would like to see an improvement in safety systems that are automatic to perilous conditions. I'm not saying that they should make a system that allows people to go out in treacherous conditions (even though I know people would) - I'm saying that if you find yourself in treacherous conditions suddenly that there is a system that is looking out for you that is built in to either the kite or a harness and bypasses the reaction time of the user. I have a punch out bar, but find it a bit touchy on the amount of power that it takes in order to activate.

we all believe is called the expansion
lunchbox
Posting Freak

Mood: Feeling Lucky...

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 09:48 PM

Quote:

In those instances the time to react is near impossible, your mind goes into a stall as the world moves horizontally about you until you hit something (usually the ground). I would like to see an improvement in safety systems that are automatic to perilous conditions. I'm not saying that they should make a system that allows people to go out in treacherous conditions (even though I know people would) - I'm saying that if you find yourself in treacherous conditions suddenly that there is a system that is looking out for you that is built in to either the kite or a harness and bypasses the reaction time of the user.

Agree 100%...well said FB!

Flexifoil Blurr 2.5, Ozone Cult 3.5, Nasa Star 3 4.0 Ozone Yakuza 4.0, PL Reactor 4.9, JoJo RM+ 5.0, Ozone Method 5.0, Ozone Yakuza 6.0, Flexifoil Blade IV 6.5, Nasa Star 3 7.0, PL Vapor 7.8, JoJo RX 8.0 (in route), Flexifoil Blade VIP 8.5, PL Vapor 9.4, Ozone Yakuza 10.0, PL Reactor II 10.8, PL Vapor 16.1, PL Venom II 13, PL Charger 15, 19, Flysurfer Unity 12, Flysurfer Pulse 2 14, Flysurfer Speed 2 SA 19, Flysurfer Speed 3 21, MBS Comp 95 landboard, PL Folding buggy, PL XR+ buggy, Slingshot LFT, Lots of surfboards

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio