Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DoomWheel Test Drive
wzrd

Mood: Gotta find some wide open spaces

[*] posted on 28-11-2004 at 10:11 AM
DoomWheel Test Drive

Wow! Got a chance to test drive my new Doomwheels this afternoon.

Location: Purley Way Playing Fields/Croyden Airport, London, UK

Kite: Ozone Samurai 4m

Wind: Light, gusting to medium (5-8mph)

Surface: Muddy grass field

I spend alot of time rollerblading, but this is just another world. After testing the kite in the wind, and putting on my Doomwheels, I managed to get going.
After a few minutes I was shaking with adrenaline, as I tried to work out the best way to keep going, without rippng my ankles off.

There were some great moments with speed and continued momentum downwind, but anything about going back in the direction I came from was hard work. the wind was a bit too light , and the surface was caking mud/clay onto my wheels which continuously flicked off as I cuaght some speed here and there.

Got pulled right off my feet sideways a couple of times, landing smack inthe mud. No pain, just mud everywhere.

Feet began to ache, and spent most of the time geting back to where I started. Changing direction is challenging, and

In conclusion, a brilliant day, crap weather, and slippery surface. could have done with some more area to get some speed up. Need to work on working the kite, and cross wind sailing.

Clearly these Doomwheels are designed for high-speed, long distance kiteblading.

Feel completely knackered, but happy. No pics this time. :tumble:
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 29-11-2004 at 01:05 AM

It takes a bit of practice, but the conditions play a large part in your learning curve. Smooth, adequate wind and a dry surface will provide notably better results than what you have experienced so far.

>Got pulled right off my feet sideways a couple of times...

This may happen in slippery or gusty conditions if you are using a seat harness (are you?). The kite can lift your wheels from the ground unexpectedly. Personally, I prefer a kitesurfing waste harness for kiteskating. It sets the tow point above your waste just enough to allow your upper body to absorb sudden gusts and uneven power yet low enough to transfer the power efficiently to your skates.

wzrd

Mood: Gotta find some wide open spaces

[*] posted on 30-11-2004 at 02:03 PM
Good advice

Thanks DoomWheels.

I agree on the conditions being right. Just had to get out there and give it a bash. Maybe in the wet winter months I will do a bit of buggying to hone my kite skills, while looking for more suitable locations and conditions to kiteblade in.

I am not using a harness at the moment, but when I do, will go for a waist harness, rather than the seat style option.

Have you used doomwheels on a beach before? I imagine the hard packed sand at low tide would be the best. What do you suggest?

Thanks for the support

Wzrd
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 3-12-2004 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Have you used doomwheels on a beach before? I imagine the hard packed sand at low tide would be the best. What do you suggest?
Yes, I've skated the beaches in Oregon, New Jersey and Normandy. The only trick is to stay near the waters edge where the sand is hardest. Soft sand is no fun!

Make sure you are using sealed bearings or the sand will ruin them. A good washing afterward to remove the salt is also recommended.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio