Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Shred Ready Helmets / Can Can Audio Earflaps
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 30-4-2009 at 09:47 PM
Shred Ready Helmets / Can Can Audio Earflaps

Well, the Shred Ready lid now has some well earned sweat in it from some static fun this evening so here's the report.

The Lid:
Seems to be pretty standard as far as lids go. Lightweight, decent ventilation (could be better but I imagine it'll be cool enough once dunked a few times in the lake after some botched waterstarts....okay....after MANY botched waterstarts ; )

Fit is accomplished through an interchangeable set of fit pads - one for across the brow, another around the back of your head. They velcro in and out and hold tight. I switched to the mediums from the preinstalled larges and there was a significant change in sizing. I'm pretty sure this is a good "one size fits all" solution. I did have to watch as I was pulling the pads off, the little squares of velcro affixed to the inside of the helmet looked like they might want to peel up and off. DIdn't but looks like a potential issue. Minor though.

The Can Can Earflaps:
After living and loving my Giro lid with the TuneUps ear pads I had high expectations which were sadly not met by these. It seems to me that they are okay, and there HAS to be some tradeoff in sound quality for a waterproof speaker, right? I'll give it that much. Oddly though, the ear flaps sat well away from my ears with the helmet strapped on snug. When I pushed the pads in to contact my ears the sound quality dramatically improved - ALMOST as good as the TuneUps, just not the same wide frequency range (hi's and low's). So, after monkeying around a bit I discovered that all I needed to do is slide some foam bits over the straps such that when the helmet is buckled on, it would push the ear pads to my ears. Imagine the pipe foam insulation some of us use on our buggies' bars. Something like that but on a much smaller scale (of course).

As a small bonus, if you use closed cell something or other you'll add to your buoyancy in the water :lol:

For the price - no complaints although if music is your thing I'd save the cash and buy some good in-the-ear, waterproof earbuds. It wouldn't surprise me if I make the switch - just that I have yet to find earbuds like this that stay seated without constant fussing. The lid itself is definitely worth it - and the fact we scored them nearly half of retail...even better. I'd gladly pay full price though. What's $50 when it's your brain on the line?

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison
revpaul

Mood: let\'s boogie

[*] posted on 1-5-2009 at 05:08 AM

mac
i think the velcro tabs are double sided velcro so you can move them anywhere you like to place your padding.

PKD-0.7m Buster, 1.4m Buster, 1.8m Century
HQ-Beamer III 3m
PL-Reactor 3.8m, Reactor II 6.9m
Ozone-IGNITION 1.6m, Little Devil 4.5m, 7.3m Frenzy
Pansh-Sprint Ltd Ed 5m, 7m Ace
Flexifoil-Blurr 5m
FS- Pulse2 12m, Speed 1.5 17m, lots of Revs and dual line stunters
Sirocco Sprint 4.2, 5.2 -SIROCCOx 5.2-
macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 1-5-2009 at 11:24 PM

I think you may be right.......isn't that smart of them? That bumps the recommendation up a notch from before. No complaints at all. Now if the water would warm up for us.......

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio