Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Waist Harnesses
manitoulinkiter1

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 03:31 PM
Waist Harnesses

Hi all.

I'm looking for some imput into waist harnesses. I currently use a Dakine seat harness and an old Globe Kites waist harness.
I find the seat harness restricts my range of motion making it hard to ride toe side and body drag upwind to my board. But it's comfortable and I can ride all day with it on.
With the waist harness it's easier to move around in and body drag, but after an hour my back gets sore. This is a concern because I have had back problems in the past.
So here's my question what kind of waist harnesses do you use and do they stay put and support your back.
I am currently looking at a Mystic Warrior, but I am up in Canada and unable to try one on even. So it will be a mail order surprise and I would appreciate input on any type of waist harness.

Thanks John.
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-5-2009 at 06:30 PM

I've heard good things about the Mystic Warrior Sheild Rambo Ninja Skull thingy ... re. comfort and back issues too ...

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
snobdr
Unregistered

[*] posted on 11-5-2009 at 10:06 AM

I also ride the dakine seat and have no problems other then when snowkiting its hard to clip my snowboard bindings in. I ride toeside with little effort and body dragging to get a board is no problem. The only thing i have noticed is on hard edging toeside the force is opening up the spreader bar clip.
I have been thinking about switching to a waist, you might want to look at the ocean rodeo session harness, waist harness with detachable leg straps, kind of the best of both worlds. Also the warrior is sopposta be the hot setup.
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-5-2009 at 10:30 AM

This isn't a true waist harness but it shares some traits so I'll throw this out there. I picked up an Ozone XC harness this weekend and it is like not wearing one at all. It is a one size fits all so there are no buckles to fasten or thread thru tiny slots. Just slip it on and tighten up the straps till it is secure. The extensive adjustability also would allow you to wear it over snow clothes or a bathing suit with the same great fit either way. Some speak of crowding down low but once you get everything adjusted, it stays in place with alot of comfort. It is cooler as well since you don't have so much skin covered up.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 11-5-2009 at 02:21 PM

The Mystic Warrior is a great harness and very popular on our beach. I know two local instructors that wear them. The waist-seat version has all the support of the waist harness (because it is one) but with the leg straps added.

They run tight though, so if you are on the border between two sizes, go larger.

The locals refer to Dakines as watered-down Mystics.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 11-5-2009 at 09:53 PM

Thing was for me cos I'm a fatty, the Dakine Fusion went a size larger than the Mystic and a couple of inches bigger round the middle. The legs straps are rather tight but don't cut blood flow off ... it's a real "LOOK AT MY NUTS!" outfit though :lol:
Forget the company, may be Dakine, but there's a shorts seat harness out there - looks like a pair of boardshorts with a spreader bar on the front. Apparently, they're mad popular too ... very comfy and supportive.

Funny thing is, I got the seat harness cos I was worried about my back but I use a shoulder strap thing on the land kiting that raises the leverage point even higher ... and it's perfectly comfortable :dunno: I'm thinking about getting a waist harness too, to see how they feel ...

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
mgatc

[*] posted on 12-5-2009 at 06:51 PM

Bump for the Mystic Warrier. I have had back surgery and the Mystic offers excellent support. I ride sometimes with the leg straps for the seat and sometimes without. Works great either way.

HQ: Scout 3m, Neo 11m, Neo 8m
PL: Scorpion 10m
Cabrinha: 12m Switchblade, 16m Crossbow
SU-2 Bigfoot, Liquid Force Proof 151, Klein 145
MBS Comp 90 Landboard
Flexifoil Buggy
Mystic Waist/Seat Harness
2 DIY Plyboards
snobdr
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-5-2009 at 06:59 PM

are we talking warrior II? Does it come with the legstraps or are they extra?
mgatc

[*] posted on 13-5-2009 at 10:45 AM

It is considered a waist/seat harness. "Diaper" and leg straps are included and are part of the harness. The waist wrap is quite wide which is where the back support comes from.
If I decide to ride without the leg straps, I fold the seat up to the inside and hang the straps over the back. Other times i'll just run them through the buckle and keep them very loose. I usually ride in this mode when in the buggy. I use the seat and straps (snug) when I am on a board.
Check with ACampbell on this forum. He put my son and I on to these and can answer your questions.

HQ: Scout 3m, Neo 11m, Neo 8m
PL: Scorpion 10m
Cabrinha: 12m Switchblade, 16m Crossbow
SU-2 Bigfoot, Liquid Force Proof 151, Klein 145
MBS Comp 90 Landboard
Flexifoil Buggy
Mystic Waist/Seat Harness
2 DIY Plyboards
nhlrule56

Mood: Where\'s the beach?

[*] posted on 13-5-2009 at 08:49 PM

Consider looking into the Ozone AccessXC series of harnesses. I have both the D-Ring and Spreader models. Used to wear a Dakine XT Seat, but hated the bulkiness getting into the buggy, setting up, and overall moving around. I cannot say enough good things about these. I primarily use the spreader version.

Flexifoil - Sabre2 5.0m, 9.5m / Bullet 7.0m
Ozone - Cult 4.5m / Yakuza 2.2m, 3.4m / Samurai2 3.0m / IMP 2.5m / IMP Quattro 1.5m
Peter Lynn - Pepper II 3.0m
Rides - Peter Lynn Bigfoot Buggy / Flexifoil Buggy / MBS Mountainboard
Harness - Dakine XT Seat / Ozone AccessXC D-Ring / Ozone AccessXC Spreader Bar
acampbell
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-5-2009 at 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by snobdr
are we talking warrior II? Does it come with the legstraps or are they extra?

I just realized the Warrior II does not come as a seat model. Obviously I do not have the 2009 stock in yet. Their new Firestarter is another high-end harness that is available both ways.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

snobdr
Unregistered

[*] posted on 14-5-2009 at 08:45 AM

Kewl thanx Acampbell thats what i thought. I did not know about the firestarter.
kiteNH

[*] posted on 14-5-2009 at 09:02 AM

I agree that the Ozone harnesses are great, but just to be clear they are NOT designed for use on the water. Land and snow only I think. He mentions body dragging so I think he's looking for a harness to use on the water.

I haven't used it, but Ocean Rodeo has a new seat/waist convertible harness out. Actually I think it might be a seat/waist/shorts harness. If you're up in Canada why not check out your "local" brand? I think its supposed to be pretty good.
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-5-2009 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kiteNH
I agree that the Ozone harnesses are great, but just to be clear they are NOT designed for use on the water. Land and snow only I think.

I looked at the Ozone website and can't find any suggestion that the XC harness shouldn't be used in water. Where did you find this information? I have another harness I could use in the water but that XC is SO comfortable. I don't want to get in the water and find it inadequate or that I damaged the harness. It is great static and even better in the buggy.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
kiteNH

[*] posted on 14-5-2009 at 09:33 AM

I think it says it on the harness, but I don't remember for sure. You'll notice that its listed as an accessory on Ozone's land kites and snow kites pages but not on their kitesurf page.

Alright, went to my car to check. It says "warning land based traction sports only" on it. But it also says no jumping so its really just a disclaimer and doesn't explicitly say no water. Personally I don't think that it would offer enough padding or support on the water, but maybe it would work out. Either way, nice harness for land. I like the 'one size fits' although I'd like to see them offer two sizes I think. It looks like it would fit a giant and I have to cinch up the straps all the way and end up with straps dangling everywhere.
manitoulinkiter1

[*] posted on 14-5-2009 at 01:27 PM
Thanks

Hey Guys

Thanks for the replies. I am going to take a look at the Ozone Harness. I am thinking Warrior for the back support end of things though.
Acampbell can you tell me the difference between the Warrior and the Firestarter? The Firestarter looks even better than the Warrior but I've never heard much about them. I was thinking Warrior cause Reuben Lenten uses it and he's almost as good as me, so it might work for me. (LOL)
Snobdr my Dakine harness opened up on one side and my spreader bar unhooked on that side. I got yanked off the board and dragged sideways until I figured out what the hell was going on. I just pounded it closed with a rock and keep an eye on it now.

Thanks again guys

John
snobdr
Unregistered

[*] posted on 14-5-2009 at 01:49 PM

Yea someone else had warned me about it. Said alot of toeside riding makes it open up. I was like no mines fine and when i looked the meatal clip was spreading open. Good thing he told me about it. Thats why im looking for another harness.
indigo_wolf
Super Administrator

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 14-5-2009 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KiteNH
I haven't used it, but Ocean Rodeo has a new seat/waist convertible harness out. Actually I think it might be a seat/waist/shorts harness. If you're up in Canada why not check out your "local" brand? I think its supposed to be pretty good.

Sounds like you are talking about the Session 2 (2009). It was available last year, but this year it has a lot more foam/thermoformed plastic. Probably not a concern in the water, but the 2008 always looked less prone to heat buildup (yeah, it's all relative) on land.

The OR site still has the original Session page up:
http://www.oceanrodeo.com/kiting/session_harness

The Session 2 looks like this:
http://www.oceanrodeo.com/kiting/session_2_hybrid_harness

Additional pics and info here:
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2356056

Both Session and Session 2 are hybrid harnesses.

I got the impression that the Session Shorts were meant to be used in conjunction with the harnesses, but had strap "ports" that allow you to wear the harness under the shorts.

ATB,
Sam
acampbell
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-5-2009 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by manitoulinkiter1
Hey Guys
Acampbell can you tell me the difference between the Warrior and the Firestarter? The Firestarter looks even better than the Warrior but I've never heard much about them. I was thinking Warrior cause Reuben Lenten uses it and he's almost as good as me, so it might work for me. (LOL)

Thanks again guys

John

The Firestarter has a narrower profile for increased mobility yet improved back support with the stiffness built into the frame. Mechanical and convenience features are similar to the Warrior.

Available Waist Only.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

manitoulinkiter1

[*] posted on 14-5-2009 at 04:07 PM
Thanks again

Thanks Acampbell

Looks like I'm going to have to try both of them on some how. I like the sound of increased mobility and more support.
As for the Ocean Rodeo harness I am going to look at that too. I just bought an 08 Ocean Rodeo Zen 135 by 43 and absolutely love it. I hear their kites are top notch too.
John

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio