Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: newbie questions
nubb1337

[*] posted on 24-4-2009 at 04:07 PM

So would the Hydra 350 be strong enough to pull me in the water and pull me on a mountain board?
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 24-4-2009 at 04:39 PM

Sort of ??? Sort of not !

I think you are asking about " body dragging " ? The Hydra will have enough power to drag you in water . It is so small that getting an upwind body drag isn't going to happen unless it's very windy.

You have an O.K. trainer kite already. The Hydra 350 is just another trainer kite.

If you are going to buy another kite you should be looking at a real performance kite this time ?

If you are going on the water then you need to take a lesson next ! Let the instructor help you make the right purchase for your area !

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
nubb1337

[*] posted on 24-4-2009 at 04:50 PM

I doubt I will go in the water. I was thinking if I got a hydra it would be handy to play in the water, but that wasn't my main intention.

But sorry about the confusion. I saw "Kite Surfing (Kiteboarding)" and thought they were two different things.

I will probably going to end up getting a Scout. Will I still be able to fly the scout in shallow waters? (like 5" or less)
furbowski
Posting Freak

Mood: stuck on a small island with big trees and tiny beaches...

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 12:29 AM

you'll still be able to use the scout in water... is it an open celled kite, i think so -- just don't crash it it cause then you'll have to take it back to the beach and dry it out. I've done lots of downwind body dragging on open-celled fixed foils, very easy to do and not crash. Upwind really needs more power, a harness, and a bar rig. Is the scout a bar kite? you might might be able to get a little upwind with that thing in nuking winds, only after you get to the kite really well. by then you'll know which one your NEXT kite(s) will be....

have fun with the learning curve, where ever you are at on it, let us know how you're getting on, eh?

fixed bridles, flying static, been two years now... ??? folks must be wondering....

sting 1.7, dp power 2.5, crossfire 3.2, ace 5, blade iv 6.5, ace 8, ace 12...

also a couple of arcs, 12 syn and 12 phanny, but i\'m not yet up to speed on them.

(13.11.09)
nubb1337

[*] posted on 25-4-2009 at 05:33 AM

haha thanks!
Yes the think Scout is on a bar. It has a harness loop too (I'm not going to use it YET)

Probably after I get used to the Scout I might get a HQ neo... :wee:
snobdr
Unregistered

[*] posted on 29-4-2009 at 08:36 AM

I wouldnt worry about going in the water at this point. Once you put the kite down in the water youll have a mess on your hands, pluss you wont learn anything anyway. All it will do is drag you directly downwind. You will learn more trying to kite on you ATB. i would just stick with that.
Once your pretty good with that, save up some cash, and go for water lessons just for the fact you can use their gear. If you totally into water kiting then talk it over with the instructor for what size kite you would need for where you are kiting.
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-4-2009 at 08:42 AM

Open cell foils act like suction cups and then sea anchors on water . No matter how shallow.

The difference between the Hydra and Scout is the closed cells on the Hydra.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio