Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Slingshot Turbo Bar!
Jovver

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 05:50 AM

Quote:

Oh wait you're talking about the leader between trim strap and pulley?

I'm talking about the leaders between the bar end and the trim strap on the brake lines. You could lengthen the leader between the trim and the pulley instead.
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 05:12 PM

But that'd make the brake lines even longer, wouldn't it?
I decided from the pics that the pulleys all lined up when the trim straps were right out, but they don't seem to have a lot of range in other pics ... I got about 4 inches on those ones :lD basically, if it doesn't work and I can't trim something ANYthing to make it work then it's well and truly borked :lol:

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
flyguy0101
Posting Freak

Mood: Never to old to play, but failing to play will make you old!

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 05:35 PM

@kami- he is recommended adding the length to the power lines in the middle which would actually shorten the brake lines. hope to have mine done this weekend:bouncing:

TEAMRIDER for Coastal Wind Sportsand Trampa mtn boards
www.trampaboards.com

My rides- Flexi buggy and Trampa mtn board
My engines-
HQ Scout 2m , 4m
Flexi Rage 3.5 & 4.7
PL Arcs- 10m Venom 1, 13m, 19m Venom II, 15m Charger2
Jovver

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 06:27 PM

Quote:

@kami- he is recommended adding the length to the power lines in the middle which would actually shorten the brake lines. hope to have mine done this weekend:bouncing:

That's exactly what I meant. What I should have said to make it clearer was the leader between the bar and the Tophat, not the trim. <--- That was my bad.

Also, just some food for thought, make sure that when turning you have enough line to make a full turn without the connection points touching the center pulley. If that section of line through the center pulley is too short, you will cut your full turning potential short. Think about when you turn your kite on handles using the power lines only... the distance between the two handles has to be large enough to make a fast turn. Another way to look at it is a strop/ pulley situation. If your strop is too short, your handle will cut the turn early because it will hit the pulley. Instead of lengthening the leader lines, you could just tie new knots in the brake leaders above the pulley, as long as you can make a full turn.
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 06:45 PM

I thought the power line looked short too, but it's correct according to the Ozone pictures :dunno: easily fixed, anyway ...! Now I know what you're talking about :lol:

I'm thinking the PKD clone will be better - I've got either the OR CL and depower below the bar or the Wipika line with a cleat ... that'd give massive range of adjustment and will be much cleaner :D

Jovver

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 06:47 PM

Sorry for being confusing and difficult. :embarrased: Also, its always good to have extra rather than not enough... you can always take material off, but you can't put it back on... unless there's something you are hiding from us! :ninja:
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 29-6-2010 at 08:30 PM

No worries - sorry for being dense :lol:

Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-7-2010 at 06:02 AM

Took mine out for a play today, finally ... very low wind, perfect to make sure there's nothing going to break and kill me :lol:

Worked great with my Rebble 5m, didn't need to trim anything which means the power lines on the bar are too short - the Rebble won't fly unless there's another foot added to the brake leaders :lol: then tried it on the Ace 12m and had to trim the brakes a bit ...

Result = success! Turns real nice, the Rebble flew real good although I had to keep walking backwards to keep it in the air ... the Ace was easier to control than it was on handles and was a bit better behaved ... still over-flew and stalled a lot.
Was a bit tougher to reverse launch - lost a bit of finesse there ... hopefully with more wind (it was like 2 knots if that!) it'd be less hassle ...

Now for the PKD version :)

jimbocz

[*] posted on 19-7-2010 at 07:42 AM

I haven't read every post in this thread, but I've got to ask: Why build a copy of the PKD version? I've got it and can be barely bothered to use it. The line that is supposed to attach to the brake lines and then to a safety harness is tied with a slip knot kind of thing. Last time I flew it, the slip knot came undone, leaving the brake lines loose and absolutely slack while the power lines were still tied to me! Really scary.

Also, the primary realease (top hat) is tight enough that I couldn't pull the safety when I really needed it, which scared me again. Haven't flown it much since. Admittedly, I am new to hooking in and bought the turbo bar so I could hook in with some safety systems but I am not impressed so far.
Maven454
Posting Freak

Mood: I has a grumpy.

[*] posted on 19-7-2010 at 07:57 AM

Well for starters, he could always correct those issues :smilegrin:.

"I gave up on wind speeds... its either crappy, gravy, epic, or stupid... in that order"
--Drewculous

Ozone: Imp III Quattro 1m and 1.5m, Flow 2m, 3m, 4m, and 5m.
NAPKA# US454
Maven454
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-7-2010 at 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by indigo_wolf
Quote:
Originally posted by Maven454
Wolf, if you do contact Ozone about it, let me know what they say, will you?

You bet....

ATB,
Sam

Wolf, did you ever get bored and contact Ozone about the pulleys? I'm curious to see which set will be on my new Access XTs when they come in, since I know they'll have been just made.

"I gave up on wind speeds... its either crappy, gravy, epic, or stupid... in that order"
--Drewculous

NAPKA# US454
indigo_wolf
Super Administrator

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 19-7-2010 at 08:09 AM

Blackholed in the general Ozone contact email. Went ahead and re-sent it to a direct email address at Ozone. Generally don't like to use that address lest I become a nag, but the lag time for a response has been rather long.

If your kites were "just made".... wink, wink, nudge, nudge... I am assuming you got custom colors..... sooooooo.... whadda ya get? ;)

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
Maven454
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 19-7-2010 at 08:18 AM

My personal favorite set (dark grey leading edge, white stripe, and olive main panel). Isn't flashy and doesn't even look custom unless you really know your Ozone kites, but I love that pattern. Wish my Mantas looked that way, didn't realize how cheap it was at the time.

Sorry Jovver, we keep hijacking your thread.

--Drewculous

NAPKA# US454
Jovver

[*] posted on 19-7-2010 at 12:56 PM

Quote:

Sorry Jovver, we keep hijacking your thread.

That's quite alright. I started this thread to show off my DIY skills and hopefully encourage others to make their own turbo bars as well. I haven't used mine in a bit because I've had so much else going on. Haven't even really had time to try out my newest additions, which is really sad. I've been dying for a good session and there seems to be a lack of wind in my area during the summer months. Irdc if the thread veers because it will always come back to the original topic. Especially since Kami has stepped up and tried making his own turbo bars...
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 25-10-2010 at 07:08 PM

Oh here it is :lol:

I started in on the PKD version but ran out of line and the shop guy who I buy it from in Hamamatsu got all septic at me cos I bought an LEI off the internet, rather than from him at double the price :crazy: so development stalled.

I did, however, finish adding the red hat safety above the depower line with a leash back to the CL spinning leash ring ... if you release the safety at the CL the kite (should) be totally depowered ...

Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-11-2010 at 05:35 AM

Got the Ozone bar tonight ... explains a few things - the depower throw is 20cm, I was working on the scale of it being 40cm and my bar & lines ended up being about 2 meters longer than it needed to be :D

Bloody nice bit of kit that Ozone jobbie ... Ronstan Orbit pulleys and all!

Jovver

[*] posted on 10-11-2010 at 09:46 AM

So which one do you like better... the home brew or the official fancy pants Ozone one?
Maven454
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-11-2010 at 10:39 AM

I don't know about Kami, but I have to say that I'd rather have a center trim strap instead of the two separate brake adjusters.

--Drewculous

NAPKA# US454
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-11-2010 at 05:54 PM

Yeah it'd be easier to manage a central trim, I'm sure. The Ozone bar is sexy though :D

My biggest problem for the Home Baked one is finding a decent safety solution - I've got a nice tidy one on there now but you're still leashed to the kite by the safety line ... adding another release to that would be a PITA.

I've got an OR CL that has below the bar trim, and I'm thinking that'd make a nice clean bar with a goodly amount of adjustment for the lines ... but there's still the safety issue :(

Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-11-2010 at 07:16 PM

Ok to explain my safety as it is at the moment ... yes I'm bored at work again!

It's a red hat with a pin like the Ozone one, but I've drilled two holes in the hat lip and run a "safety" line back through the bar to the CL, where it goes through a spinning metal loop on the non-released side of the CL ... the Airush CL is captive but releases the bar, depower line etc with a pin and strap.

There's a loop on the end of the "safety" line so you could hook a leash into it if you wanted to ride suicide and have full depower safety if you let the bar go.
Of course, you can pull the hat to release the front lines but also, if you pull the safety strap on the CL it releases the front lines ... the problem being, if the kite is wrapped around a truck or something you've still got the safety line attached to you. Similar issue with KKs I guess but you'd have to get out of the CL ... I suppose I could not run the safety line through the loop and just use a velcro strap to keep it tidy ... hmm ...

The other option for safety is rear lines flag - a brake strap like on the Ozone with a line back to the bar, leashed to you with a regular leash. That'd have the safety line flapping around under the bar which I don't like so much ... would mean I could use the OR CL with a dual line for trim and it'd be real tidy ... hmm ...

... and I still need to order line! :o

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio