Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Core 5.1
Drewculous
Posting Freak

Mood: Official Tough Mudder :D

[*] posted on 15-7-2009 at 07:05 AM
Core 5.1

So i got the Core 5.1 in the mail yesterday (thanks Angus), and got a little flight time in on it last night. The winds were a little high for a 5 meter foil last night (approx 20mph) and a few gusts rolling in, but i had to give it a shot! Being that i only have a few comparisons to go off of, this may be more like a Core v. Twister type review.

Setting up the kite in the shop, the first thing i notice is the bridal lines are a lot thinner than on my twister, and there were a lot more lines comming off of the kite... this is good for less drag and less weight, but man, they seem to tangle really easily... but anyway, got everything put together and went out for a sweet flight!

Like i said, winds were a little high, so launch was easy. The kite screams to the zenieth, and has tons of pull in the window, and very little pull once it hits the top of the window... compared to the twister. I get the feel for the kite and dive it, loop it, go edge to edge of the window, and give it the run though... Few things that set it apart: this kite is light! Its hard to explain, but when i fly my twister, i can feel the weight of the kite at the end of the lines, but the core is just a feather on the end, dragging me around the field. The core is really quick and responsive... tug on the right lines and it dives fast, and seems to hold more of the wind during sharp turns... when you try to turn that fast in the twister, it loses some of its pull. On to static jumping... the twister has it hands down. I was getting 6-8 ft jumps with the twister in those winds, and 2-4 ft in the core. The thing that i like about the core is that when you are trying to jump, its ability to turn sharp and redirect without losing any power is great... but not being a jumping kite this feature loses some of its usefullness

I wanted to get a run on the board, but i was not the only one at the soccer complex last night, there were like 10 seperate games going on, so i only had my little corner of the park to fly... so no dynamic review yet... and that kinda sux, because i think that is where this kite will really wow me.

As far as a static kite:
The Core is very well built, flies great; fast, hard turns without any power loss, good even pull from one end of the window to the other... A very sound kite! But if static jumping is your goal, this probably isnt your kite. Jumping can be done, but you have to work hard for the jumps, and they are pretty minimal when you do pull one off.

Im hoping for some good winds so i can get out and board and see what the core can really do when put into a dynamic flying situation... i think the core will be happiest when it is moving!

Thanks agian to Angus @ Coastal Wind Sports for the opportunity to fly a really cool kite... I'll try to get a board run in, let you know how that goes, and i'll send it on its way!
(I'll post some pics after i get them from my designated potographer)

Thanks Again,
-Drew :smilegrin:

PL: Twister II 5.6m, Phantom 15m / 12m, 10m Synergy, JIBE Viper 5.3m, Charger 19m
HQ: Montana 4 12.5m, Apex 3 5m
Flexi: Blade ViP, Rage 1.8m \"lil Pepi!\"
FlexiFoot Bug / FlexDeck / MBS Core 95 / Custom Carbon Fiber MTH \"Monster Door\"
Corsair Crash Test Dummy (QC Suervisor :lol: )
My most perfect days have been on Jekyll
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 15-7-2009 at 07:20 AM

Great write-up Drew. Certainly hold on to it long enough for a board session. You are right; the kite wants to be in motion. Good observations about the lightweight but refined construction. I find in light winds it leaps off the ground faster than the same size Hornet or Beamer

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
Drewculous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-7-2009 at 03:35 PM

Well, got the first wind in days here... sadly / scarily its like 20mph. So i figured this may be my last chance for another week to try out the core... lets just say its quick :smilegrin:

Winds were screaming and so was i. The Core's ability to turn quick is a huge asset when getting trucking on a board. The fine adjustments sometimes needed to save your a$$ from a painful bail are easily made on this kite. And its tight turning is made without losing any power, so you can dive this kite hard, and slam it back up, and you are screaming down the range. Today i think the only thing limiting my speed was me, lol! I was unable to 'park and ride' this kite, but that may not be the fault of the kite... prolly more me or the wind. A couple times the side pull got the better of me, and im proud to say i have my first ATB tire mark on my helmet (dont ask how, i have no idea)...

So overall this is a really sweet kite, but i kind of got the feeling like, Good at everything, best at nothing... Like the fact that it is an all around kite, takes away from the jumping, or speed, or stability. Dont get me wrong, this is a good kite, very well built... But, idk, if you really want to jump, theres a better kite, if you want gnarly buggy speed, theres a better kite...

I think this kite is aimed more at your casual buggier... I also think the larger sizes would kick the hell out of those low wind days. It handles very well in low wind, hops up easy, and still generates considerable pull in sluggish winds. It has a tendancy to over-fly in higher winds, but a decent pilot can avoid that pretty easily.

As a ATB rider, i give this kite a 7 out of 10
:: Very well built and super light feeling. If you want speed and not so much air, this is a good kite, you'll haul, but you wont have near as hard of a time launching and controlling it, as you would with a race kite. The control is unreal, as is the side pull (wich can be good or bad on a board). But the downer, you wont boost much air. My best static jump yeilded only a 3-4 footer, and i only got some small jumps on the board

If i had the stability of a buggy, and wide open spaces to ride, i think this would rate a lot higher. If you had miles of beach, a buggy, and all day to kill in the wind, this would be your kite. Its a thrill to fly, and a breeze to learn its ins and outs.

I'll miss it when its gone, it is a very cool kite, and a very solid performer, but i really believe its true home is in the hands of a buggier and not an atb rider... Someone who is used to pushing the limits of an access range type kite in the buggy will learn a thing or two from the Core and enjoy every minute of it.

Thanks again Angus, its been a very cool experience to say the least!

PL: Twister II 5.6m, Phantom 15m / 12m, 10m Synergy, JIBE Viper 5.3m, Charger 19m
FlexiFoot Bug / FlexDeck / MBS Core 95 / Custom Carbon Fiber MTH \"Monster Door\"
acampbell
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-7-2009 at 04:21 PM

Thanks Drew for a great write-up. U2U sent for next flier. Lunchbox- you're on.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

acampbell
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-7-2009 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Drewculous

I think this kite is aimed more at your casual buggier... I also think the larger sizes would kick the hell out of those low wind days. It handles very well in low wind, hops up easy, and still generates considerable pull in sluggish winds. It has a tendancy to over-fly in higher winds, but a decent pilot can avoid that pretty easily.

I have a customer that wanted a kite a step up from the Beamer for static recreational flying. He tried the Crossfire II , Twister II, Blade, Viper and Core, and went with the Core. He did not appreciate the aggressiveness of the Twister, Crossfire or Blade and liked the "all around" flavor of the Core. It dances off the ground faster than a Beamer in light wind and is still smooth and non-violent in higher winds

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 20-7-2009 at 04:46 PM

nice......................is this the Lynn racekite?

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
acampbell
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-7-2009 at 04:55 PM

No- that would be the Reactor II or the Vapor, both soon to be released. The Core is an elegant "all around" kite. The Core comes from the same factory as the Reactor and the Vapor - different from the other kites - where material grade and construction tolerances are dialed way up. Pour over the stitching, panel alignment and material quality and you just go OOOHH!

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

Drewculous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 21-7-2009 at 06:43 AM

it is a great kite, but you gotta want that "all-around-ness"

For where im at, i like a little more... um, not danger, but i like to be a little nerved while i fly. Im more comfortable on the edge:smilegrin: About the only reason i didnt drool all over this kite is really the lift. That is one thing i love about the twister... I got into this sport for the hangtime, and the core isnt a jumper kite... you can get some air, but not as much as a twister. that doesnt mean that this kite isnt good. This just has to be what you want...

I would like to see a pro range kite from PL aimed at jumping. They have the engine, the all-arounder, the race kite... they need a blade-killer! I would drool all over that one...:singing:

stetson05
Posting Freak

Mood: wanted: wind please

[*] posted on 20-8-2009 at 10:25 PM
core review

Hey Drew I hope you are ok with me posting this here.
Thanks again Angus

Review of the Peter Lynn Core 5.1
Please understand that I am fairly new to kites and have limited experience with different brands. I have some experience with an ozone trainer but most of my flying has been with pansh kites.
Construction
Fabric The fabric used seemed light and crispy. Appeared to be durable. I liked the fabric.

Bridle-much fewer bridle lines and the center of the kite is left open. bridle lines seem very thin but do not appear weak. If drag increases with the diameter of the lines then the bridle should cause little drag. I had no problems with the lines ever hanging up on themselves.

Lines—appeared to be of good quality and thin. Ends are sewn and I didn’t have a single problem with the lines hanging up on other lines like I do with my own kites

Handles—easy to hold comfortable with loops at top and bottom. I am curious what the best way to attach a strop would be. Peter Lynn handle would be worth buying to replace my handles.

Kite Killers—call me a simple newbie but I loved the kite killers. Easy to use and comfortable but my favorite thing is the Right and Left label. No I am not blond but they made it easy to get going after unwinding my lines.

Performance- Very stable kite
Launch—easy to launch and easy to fly

Lift—no crazy lift like my Ace but enough. My arms did not get tired of holding the kite down without a strop. I could get some good jumps with really good float. No hard landings and no feelings of instability. I was not afraid of being dropped like my Ace. Liked it but I am not a big jumper.

Pull—good pull throughout the window. I was able to get rolling even in light winds.

Up wind ability—I really only had an opportunity to ride in light winds and I had some difficulty getting upwind. It seemed it might be more of a wind, technique, and riding surface problem. I didn’t have any problems with it over flying the zenith

Brakes—too much brakes in my simple opinion. If it were my kite I would shorten the leaders to the power lines to take a little of the brake away. The connecting pieces from the bridle to the lines did not allow for any adjustment in the brakes. I didn’t mess with it because it wasn’t my kite.

Reverse launch—was super simple probably because of the tight brakes. The kite sprung back into the area righting itself very easily.

Over all it looks good on the ground and better in the air. It flies well but want to be moving. Moderate jumping and good pull. The backpack is very nice. I had to provide my own ground stake but that is not a problem. I would really like dirt outs.

US40
HQ 1.4m which my 8 and 10 year old fly
Pansh Flux 2m, Legend 3m,
HQ Hydra 300 PZ depower, Neo 8m, 11m
Flysurfer S3 Deluxe 19m, S2 15m
Flexboardz Haize
Radbuggy
SIMS snowboard
Crazy Fly 145
acampbell
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 21-8-2009 at 08:37 AM

Thanks Gabriel
The Core comes with a ground stake but that might have gotten mis-placed along the way- no worries on that. That's why I buy ground stakes by the kilo these days.
The Core also does have dirt-outs, but there are no pull-tabs so they are easy to miss. The complete version does not come with KS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s however. I threw those in.

The handles come with loops for the strop, so the strop is attached with a bowline variation and not a larkshead.
First, put a stopper knot in the ends of the strop (should have one already).
With the loop outstretched towards you, run the strop through the loop from the top.
Now run the strop up around the side of the loop, over the top of both loop strands and down the other side.
Now bring the strop up through the loop, over the standing part of the strop, and down through the loop again on the other side.
With the stopper knot just outside of the loop, pull everything snug.

Strop_to_loop.jpg - 64kB

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

stetson05
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 21-8-2009 at 12:15 PM

If there are dirt outs they are so seamlessly designed I could not find them. That to me speaks even more about the quality of the design. Once I saw them I sure they would be easy to find.
Thanks

US40
Flexboardz Haize
Radbuggy
SIMS snowboard
Crazy Fly 145
indigo_wolf
Super Administrator

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 21-8-2009 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by acampbell
That's why I buy ground stakes by the kilo these days..

Barbecue?!?! I feel like such a piker.

Bah.... such glowing reviews of the kite make me want to.... sigh.

Right in DG's backyard too :rolleyes:

ATB,
Sam
acampbell
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 21-8-2009 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stetson05
If there are dirt outs they are so seamlessly designed I could not find them. That to me speaks even more about the quality of the design. Once I saw them I sure they would be easy to find.
Thanks

You have to know that they are there and where to look for them. On the wing tips a couple of inches forward of the trailing edge corner. You have to look at the wing tip edge-on and notice the part of the seam is slightly thicker due to the Velcro. Very tricky and not your bad for missing it.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

acampbell
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 21-8-2009 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by indigo_wolf
Quote:
That's why I buy ground stakes by the kilo these days..

Barbecue?!?! I feel like such a piker.

Bah.... such glowing reviews of the kite make me want to.... sigh.

Right in DG's backyard too :rolleyes:

ATB,
Sam

We can add you in, Sam

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
912-577-3920 new number

indigo_wolf
Super Administrator

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
We can add you in, Sam

Yes, please.... Feel free to forward me a copy of the "first born" contract. :wow:

ATB,
Sam
Drewculous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 24-8-2009 at 11:42 AM

i thought i sent the stake out :shocked2:

I'll take another look but im pretty sure it made it out with the kite when i sent it.

Im glad ya liked it stetson, it is a pretty cool kite... like i said, there will be a pile of people that love this kite... after trying a few brands out im glad im with PL. They make some sweet kites!

WIllardTheGrey

Mood: Just buggy...

[*] posted on 25-8-2009 at 02:07 AM

I took it out today in about 8-10 mph and was very impressed. I felt a little under powered but still got moving in the buggy and tried to jump but only got 2 or 3 feet up. Will continue to post updates as I fly more. I hope to take it too SOBB if DgKid78 doesn't mind the wait.

The stake was in the front pocket, and the dirt outs are on the edges about 2" up the from trailing edge.

\"Well we are all hurtling around in 3 wheeled, tip over prone, non crash tested vehicles with no brakes that we steer with our feet. Just sayin\'.....\" --heliboy50
Drewculous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 25-8-2009 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WIllardTheGrey
The stake was in the front pocket

Yay i dont owe angus a stake... just a beer :smilegrin:

stetson05
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 26-8-2009 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WIllardTheGrey tried to jump but only got 2 or 3 feet up.

I didn't get any higher than that but the float was better than my Ace IMO.

US40
Flexboardz Haize
Radbuggy
SIMS snowboard
Crazy Fly 145
-mj-

Mood: kite + longboard = awesomeness

[*] posted on 14-11-2009 at 03:06 AM

Our US teamrider Brian uses Core's, here's what he does with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvwrN6CLTGw

I'll post this one on our website next week but check it out.

Marijn Tijhof,
Peter Lynn Kitesports
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-11-2009 at 10:27 AM

Is that not an 8.3 Reactor as mentioned in Wolfpaklv's intro ?

Brian's riding is amazing. Fluid and natural looking.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
awindofchange
Posting Freak

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 14-11-2009 at 12:52 PM

Brian uses quite a few different kites from Peter Lynn. His kite of choice is the Core though. He does have an 8.3 Reactor as his light wind weapon.

macboy
Posting Freak

Mood: They're ALL good ideas. Right up until they become BAD ideas.

[*] posted on 14-11-2009 at 08:09 PM

I would LOVE to do a flying 360 like that - sending the kite orbiting around me.....amazing.

KC07 - Certified Chronic

Rev Shockwave | Brooza II 3 | BusterII's 3/4/5 | Hornet 1.5
Reactor II 5.5/6.9 | AccessXC 10 | Frenzy 12 | PsychoIII 13 | Speed2 12 | Speed3 15 | SA2.5 19
Bomba 15 | Phantom 15/18 | Venom 13 | Slingshot T3 9/11/14m

Skis, Ski Skates, Nobile RM Pro, MBS Pro 90, Kailolo 5' 11" Custom Phish, Kailolo 5'9" Custom Phish, Plyboard, Proof 151, FlydoorM, F-One 198, Coyotes, Comp XR+, and the BEST WIFE IN THE WORLD!

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
~ Thomas Edison

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio