Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Yet Another 15m Synergy Review
f0rgiv3n
Posting Freak

Mood: Throw caution to the wind.

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 09:53 AM
Yet Another 15m Synergy Review

So here's my background:

I started flying arcs just over a year ago which started with a 13m venom and a zero4 bar. I flew that one for awhile, got used to launching and flying arcs and had an opportunity to trade up to a 16m scorp... for no extra cost. :rolleyes: Duh! So I moved forward from my 13m venom to the 16m scorp. After flying the scorp, finally getting the handle on how to launch it I was really able to push my skills to the next level, bigger jumps, longer grabs, etc... (this is all on landboard). I flew the scorp for a good long amount of time and finally decided that the sketchy launches were not my cup of tea for these conditions where I'm at. I came home, and sold it as well as my other kites in hopes to get one great, end all, arc :) . I thought it was going to be the Charger. After looking and waiting, I found out the prices of the Charger were higher than I anticipated as well as the release date kept getting pushed back-- Scratch the Charger. I also found that I could get an awesome deal on a 15m Synergy! After watching Carltb's vids all flown mainly on his 15m synergy i was like what the heck! If he can do all that on this, why should i need anything more?

I bought it. I ended up getting it complete with the zero7 bar and new lines (WOO!!!!)

I have to tell you the zero7 bar is amazing, i LOVE it way more than the zero4, it's just awesome. It seems to have more thought put into it.. I can spin the bar and not get the leash all twisted. Also, the tophat release is perfect, it releases almost immediately and seems to be more robust and reliable than the release on the zero4 bar. Lines, of course, nice to have colored and coated lines :).

So last weekend on Saturday I had some awesome winds blowing through. I grabbed up my kiting buds that weren't busy and we all went a lookin' to our spots to go flying. Well, we struck out 3 times (2 fields were packed with soccer players and the 3rd was the sod farm... it was missing half of the sod! looks like business is doing well :P). Anyways, we found a spot to fly and started getting set up. It took me a moment or two to figure out all the little bells and whistles of the lines (kook-proof, stopper ball, figuring out how the center lines attached to the bar...) Got the kite out, opened up the inflate and dude... this thing inflated like a dream. Holds air SO well compared to my other kites. My 15m synergy inflated like the 13m venom i had.

Winds were at 15mph

Lauching ROCKS!! My lovely wife helped me out by going down to do an assisted launch, problem was she was standing in front of the kite. I walked back and it almost sliced her in two... Yeah not the smartest of moves on my part. I didn't expect it to move so fast at launch! The main thing I noticed was that when it intially was in the air it seemed as though it was already fully inflated and good to go! The scorp and venom could only go so far on the ground and had to finish off like 20% in the air no matter how long I waited on the ground. The Synergy is more like 5-10% inflation needed in air.

Speed in flight is considerably faster than even my scorp. The way I can only describe the difference in feel is the synergy feels a little more "polished" it's not as "twitchY". I was a bit nervous at the beginning because of how fast it was I could go as high as i wanted O.O . I think the wind was picking up cuz on one run to a jump I was going so fast and the kite was as well that I was too scared to pull in the bar for the jump LOL. I was afraid of how high I would go. Now here's the amazing thing, I had already brought the kite back and all I had to do was pull it in, I only got lifted like a foot or so off the ground!!! Talk about lift only when you want it! :).

Landing, I pulled the top-hat twice, once for a break and once to end. I forgot to put on the stopperball so it was a bit of a pain to untangle the lines after the break landing because the kite was hot when I pulled it so the bar went all the way to the kite... LOL.

Excellent jumps, with superb control. I think that it was about 15-20mph that day so if i want to go any higher I"m afraid i"ll be messing with the internal straps for those. OH, and I also did my first backloops on this badboy... I tried 5 of them and crashed on all 5. WOO! :P I'll land it next time (tomorrow hopefully)

If you read all this, I apologize for the blabber but I figured I'd better write it down or i'd forget how my first session and impressions were of this kite :D

Rating: 10/10

Kites:PL Hornet 2.0m, 15m Synergy
Dakine Pyro Harness
Rides: MBS Comp 16 Pro, Sector9 Longboard, Forum Snowboard
And always a helmet
My Kiting Blog
flyjump
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 02:07 PM

kiteNH

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 02:24 PM

Good review. Its getting awfully hard not to at least have a taste of the Darc side. I've just sold my 11m Frenzy and I'm tempted to try a 12m or 15m Synergy instead of a new Frenzy or Manta.

I'd really like to start doing a little bit of jumping and an arc might be the ticket.

Do you mind telling me what you paid for the 15? Shoot me a u2u if you don't want to post it. Thanks.
Jack1988

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 03:16 PM

well done man, im glad that your having a blast :D When my arcumcision comes i will look to the synergy.

Radsails 3.2 (High wind pulling machine)
Pansh Ace 4.5 (My Old friend)
Exit 5m ( Lifty Argos kite)
Cirrus 6m Pro ( Medium/High wind boarding on FB)
Ozone Frenzy 9.5m 03 (depower is a dream)
FlexiFoil Blade 10.5 MIII (:o)
MBS Vixen :D
Pro Limit Harness (too big)
Scrub Seat harness (ouch my balls)
Ozone Bar (For the FB\';)

Always Learning
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 04:21 PM

awesome land and water kite...................boosts well and awesome float.......................total package

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
soccerflyer

Mood: Wanting to Jump!

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 06:44 PM

Thanks for the review. I live vicariously through you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Ange09:

Keep us updated on how it goes!!

Any pics of you flying it? Video?

Is your avatar pic of you flying the syn?

Pansh Blaze 3M
Best Waroo 9M
GI AK 103
Mystic Seat Harness
f0rgiv3n
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-10-2009 at 08:41 PM

Yeaaaaah, i definitely am in love with this kite :D. I sent you a U2U KiteNH, flyjump i hope you can try out a synergy soon :) . Jack, definitely look towards the synergy direction, if not a charger or something like it :) . soccerflyer dude! u gotta get out too :D . here's some pix for ya http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2053609&id=5230280... . Nothing special, just a few pics that my wife took. there's a couple air pics but not many. Yes my avatar is from last saturday! :D thanks for noticing ;)

I'm a little smiley happy i guess... lol

Dakine Pyro Harness
And always a helmet
My Kiting Blog
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 24-10-2009 at 04:36 AM

everyone needs a SYN in the bag or at least try one.

NICE AIR, Forgiven :bigok:

everything seems easy on the SYN. I use BR's a lot. The float time really helps and gives you time in the air to correct mistakes.

soccerflyer

[*] posted on 24-10-2009 at 08:05 AM

Sweet pictures man, thanks for posting!!!!!!!

I can't wait till I get my hands on one. I have got $350 saved up and more to come for Christmas . . . . hopefully by then Chargers are comin out and I can pick up a good one rtf off of someone upgrading to a Charger!!!! :bigok:

Pansh Blaze 3M
Best Waroo 9M
GI AK 103
Mystic Seat Harness
f0rgiv3n
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 24-10-2009 at 08:20 AM

Thanks rip :D . Yeah!! Soccerflyer dude, you'll LOVE it. Are you boarding yet? or are you jumping static?

Dakine Pyro Harness
And always a helmet
My Kiting Blog
soccerflyer

[*] posted on 26-10-2009 at 06:12 AM

I haven't gotten a board yet. I am waiting to get the kite first. I am jumping some static, but having difficulties with this Ace. It is hard to redirect.

Pansh Blaze 3M
Best Waroo 9M
GI AK 103
Mystic Seat Harness
-mj-

Mood: kite + longboard = awesomeness

[*] posted on 26-10-2009 at 07:53 AM

Glad you like the Syn, nice grab+air too!

Syn 15 = sold out here...:(

Marijn Tijhof,
Peter Lynn Kitesports
kiteNH

[*] posted on 26-10-2009 at 02:10 PM

Any thoughts on a 12m vs. 15m Synergy for a 150lb first time arc flyer? Land and snow only. Next size down would be a 8m Access so I am looking for some low end. I'm leaning towards 15m but I just wonder if at my weight the faster 12m would actually get me more usable range and be almost a possible one kite quiver for land based kiting? And maybe easier to handle as a first arc.
f0rgiv3n
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 26-10-2009 at 03:14 PM

30lb's is a big difference cuz i'm 180lb. I would recommend the 12m. I had the 15m out in about 15mph plus and I was a bit scared at first. I think you would have a lot more use out of the 12m at your weight. I mean, it was probably close to 20mph and I was going for a jump but was too scared to pull in the bar cuz i was going so fast and so was the kite that i didn't pull it in :eekdrull:. If i weighed how much you do i would go for the 12m :)

Dakine Pyro Harness
And always a helmet
My Kiting Blog
kiteNH

[*] posted on 26-10-2009 at 05:57 PM

yeah, I was worried the 15 might be too much kite. Too bad.
f0rgiv3n
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 26-10-2009 at 08:20 PM

Yeah, i don't know man. I just am thinking for you cuz if it ends up being good fun for you up to 17mph that'd be great but you'd be really bummed if it's going at 20 and you can't be out there flyin' it, ya know?

Dakine Pyro Harness
And always a helmet
My Kiting Blog
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-10-2009 at 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kiteNH
Any thoughts on a 12m vs. 15m Synergy for a 150lb first time arc flyer? Land and snow only. Next size down would be a 8m Access so I am looking for some low end. I'm leaning towards 15m but I just wonder if at my weight the faster 12m would actually get me more usable range and be almost a possible one kite quiver for land based kiting? And maybe easier to handle as a first arc.

I had a 12 and it just wasn't enough for me and my newbie skills on the water. But in the buggy, it was a rush of power and speed. With 12-14 mph winds I was just able to use its power to the fullest, but could probably buggy with it into the high 20's at least. I got the 15 for the extra torque in the water, and look forward to getting to know it well in the buggy. At your weight and only on land, the 12 would probably be the sweet spot for you. The 12 synergy is an incredibly fast turning kite and it makes a bunch of its power while turning, so you can really crank up the wattage by whipping it around like you're mad at it.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 27-10-2009 at 05:36 AM

ripsession is around 135 lbs and flies his 15m into the 20's...........I found the 12m a bit too fast/jerky but I only flew it twice................I was able to get upwind (water) in 13/14 mph wind working the kite hard in the window.......I weigh 190...............I prefer the 15m......fast but not too with plenty of power and stability......................send her back in anything over 15mph and you'll go big!!

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-10-2009 at 06:41 AM

Like beemerbob said ... and IMHO, "I weigh this much" and "I ride this sized board" and "I use this size kite in this much wind" and other such statements are rendered moot by different levels of skill with kite and board ...

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
BeamerBob
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-10-2009 at 06:45 AM

Phreerider sums it up too when he talks about his prior affection with his 16m Venom and then when his skills improved, he was able to extract the benefits of a smaller kite and yet still be well powered through efficiency with his body/board/kite.

Coastal Wind Sports Team Rider
Landsegler Disc wheels
PTW Hero Buggy - XXtreme ApeXX Buggy US 88 - Libre Hardcore
IvanpahBuggyExpo.com
Youtube link
Bob Muse
HQ Montana X 8m, Montana IX 12m, HQ Ignition LEI 5m,
PL Phantom 12m, 15m, Big Blu 24m+, Synergy 10m, Venom 10m, 13m , Phantom II 12m Vapors 3.8, 5.4, Crosskite Sonic 7m, PKD Combat 10.3m
Uturn Butane 2.5m PKD Buster 3m Genetrix Hydra 7m Ozone Yakuza GT 14m
kiteNH

[*] posted on 27-10-2009 at 07:03 AM

If I'm counting correctly I think that's 1 vote for the 15 and 3 votes for the 12. Hmmmmm. I think I'm leaning towards the smaller faster kite. I think I'd rather have to throw the kite around for extra power than fly one all trimmed down because I'm overpowered. And I'm only considering land right now. For water I think the 15 would probably be the clear choice. Maybe I need both so I can decide for myself:frog:
f0rgiv3n
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-10-2009 at 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kiteNH
Maybe I need both so I can decide for myself:frog:

+1 vote :wee:

Dakine Pyro Harness
And always a helmet
My Kiting Blog
tridude
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-10-2009 at 07:15 AM

as for weight, board size, and wind speeds you have intel from 2 people who have actually flown the 15 and 12 on land and water..............BB flew his 12 on water (14kts) using a Crazy Fly 145x 48 and Liquid Force 151x42..............I flew his 12 on water in 14kts on a KGB Comrade 139x40..................keep in mind if you do take it to the water the power needed greatly exceeds whats required on land

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-10-2009 at 08:55 PM

I vote for both too :yes: