Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Peter Lynn Vapor 2.7m
BigMikesKites

Mood: Go away RAIN

[*] posted on 24-11-2009 at 03:59 PM
Peter Lynn Vapor 2.7m

Here is the link including pictures. Below is the text version.

http://www.bigmikeskites.com/PLVaporReview.aspx

As soon as the Peter Lynn Vapor was announced as released last week, I knew I needed to get one before heading down to the DeadBird Buggy bash in Galveston later this week. So I promptly ordered one and it arrived today.

As luck would have it, the winds were 15mph and up today. I felt this would be a good test for the 2.7m kite before I went to the bash.

To start off, I did a few runs with a 3m Hornet. I didn't get going very fast with the Hornet, but it isn't really labeled as a buggy kite anyway. It is just a nice stable kite to warm up on. The field where I was flying is a soccer field, but this one hasn't been used in a bit and the grass was long for a soccer field and the field was marshy in most places due to rain recently.

Also note that I am a absolute buggy NOOB. This was probably my 3rd and 4th runs on the buggy as I haven't taken it out too often. I still have MUCH to learn....keep reading.

The pictures here were from my static fly before getting on the buggy. Thanks to Stan for taking them. Things got exciting when I hopped on the buggy and the pictures stopped. I know they had to be exciting for the cameraman as they were exciting for me.

One thing for sure...This thing has SPEED! I flipped it on its side on one edge of the window and like a rocket it was over to the other side of the window. I have'nt seen anything like it short of a 1.3m Vibe on a 30mph day. Very fast.

This kite nearly pants'd me

While flying around static, I got hold of a good gust of wind and I was off to the races. I'm not a small guy...bigmikeskites...duh. But I sure ran like a small guy with the kite tugging on me. After a 40 yard dash in a few seconds, I regained composure and had to land the kite and pull my pants up as they were almost ready to drop. A notch or two tightening of the belt was in order and I again proceded to fly this wonderful kite. Now it was time to hop on the buggy.

Hop on Board the Buggy....Or hop off.

So sitting on the buggy, I immediately got alot of speed much easier than the larger hornet. I ended up near my turn around area and got into one of the marshy sections. I was trying to maneuver the kite to give me a pull and there I went. Right off the back of the buggy in my first OBE (Out of Buggy Experience) of the day. I got it turned slightly backwards and with the speed it has, it went backwards...and so did I.

My second OBE came a couple runs later. Still having some trouble with my up wind abilities, I turned around and the turbo charger was lit on this kite. Zoom! There I went. I don't know how fast. I had a GPS with me but it didn't get set properly in all my excitement. Before I know it I am flying and try to make a slight turn correction when the kite went into second gear and lurched forward. It felt as such anyway.
That was enough. I went sliding sideways until the wheel grabbed and I went flying, the buggy went flying. All I can remember is spinning and tumbling. I regained composure somewhat laughing insanely at my folly. It was fun...until I started moving around. I think I bruised a rib or something. Dull pain, but not too bad.

This kite is all that Peter Lynn says it is. Fast, Quick, easy to fly, did I mention fast! It has more than enough oomph to move my big arse very fast on a marshy field. Think what someone lean and mean on a hard beach could do!

One thing for certain. I did feel my helmet hit at least 3 times during my ......offs with this kite. Wear one please.

Mike
Owner Big Mike's Kites
http://www.BigMikesKites.com

Kites: Most of them
Buggy: VTT BLACK WIDOW...The best
Peter Lynn XR+ w VTT Rail Kit
Landboard: Not a chance
Water: still trying
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 24-11-2009 at 04:21 PM

nice colours.

in the #4 picture, are you pulling on the brakes or its flying?
your TE looks a little too tight.

giving it a less curve will also reduce the lift ... lift bad, speed good

<--- small asian guy

BigMikesKites

[*] posted on 24-11-2009 at 04:27 PM

Quote:

in the #4 picture, are you pulling on the brakes or its flying?

I'm trying to keep it in one spot for the cameraman. So brakes...yes. Most of these pictures were that way...including the ones laying on their side. Like I said, once it started moving, camera man and I both got excited and he forgot to take pictures of the kite and me in the buggy.

Mike
Owner Big Mike's Kites

herc

Mood: wanting a Charger

[*] posted on 26-11-2009 at 06:13 AM

nice review! i am always impressed again and again how such small kites can develop such huge powers in only 15 mph.

Kites:
Tubes: Ozone Zephyr 17 * Naish Helix 2009 10.5 qm * Cabrinha Access 2003 9qm * Wipika Hydro 2001 9qm *
Arcs: PL Scorpion 13, 16 qm; PL Synergy 10 qm
open cell: PL Twister I 7.7 * PKD Buster II 3qm
Paragliders: Gradient Bright Classic (with check) * Swing Mistral 1 (groundhandling) *Advance Alpha 3 (groundhandling)
BigMikesKites

[*] posted on 26-11-2009 at 06:19 AM

I had a guy fly this yesterday Static (as the winds were only about 2-5 mph). We first flew a 5.5m Reactor II. It was pulling him around a bit. So we hooked up the 2.7m Vapor. Much quicker in the air (suspected), but he was getting dragged around just the same with the smaller kite.

Actually, the winds were not there for what I suspected a 3m kite would need. I've flown a bunch of them and the winds were way on the 'barely get it up' category for a 3m. The Vapor didn't have any problem.

Mike
Owner Big Mike's Kites

herc

[*] posted on 22-3-2010 at 12:32 PM

thinking about getting a 11sqm vapor for ultra low wind.
anyone already owns a larger vapor and can comment about it ?

Kites:
Tubes: Ozone Zephyr 17 * Naish Helix 2009 10.5 qm * Cabrinha Access 2003 9qm * Wipika Hydro 2001 9qm *
Paragliders: Gradient Bright Classic (with check) * Swing Mistral 1 (groundhandling) *Advance Alpha 3 (groundhandling)
ripsessionkites
Posting Freak

Mood: retired until racing starts

[*] posted on 22-3-2010 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by herc
thinking about getting a 11sqm vapor for ultra low wind.
anyone already owns a larger vapor and can comment about it ?

i own a Vapor 11.2m and soon a 16.1m

its a dream on 15m lines in next to nothing for wind. even on shorties it turns super fast.

its super racey but highly stable and very little lift.

other's have used my 11.2 so ill let them comment.

i have my production models for sale after NABX since I didnt want to get my Custom ones dusty.

herc

[*] posted on 23-3-2010 at 05:47 AM

NABX.. reminds me to wait before buying a light wind kite - because PL wants to reveal something at NABX. i would go mad if they reveal some sort of depower light wind kite and i buy beforehand some racekite with no depower...

Kites:

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio