Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wakeboard
power
Posting Freak

Mood: Arcy

[*] posted on 26-11-2009 at 04:30 PM
Wakeboard

Well it looks like I'll be getting an old wakeboard from my cousin now that he's out grown it, and I'd like to use it for kitesurfing. I know the current bindings on it are not meant for kitesurfing, so my questions are-
1. Is a wakeboard in general ok for kitesurfing?
2. Can I swap the bindings that are currently on it for a pair of kitesurfing bindings, meaning will they fit?

-08 Best Nemesis HP 14m
-07 North Rhino 10m
-05 Best Nemesis 10m
-04 Slingshot Fuel 13m
-05 Flexi Storm 8m, 10m, 12m, 14m (FOR SALE!!)
-05 Naish 5.5m (FOR SALE!!)
manitoulinkiter1

[*] posted on 26-11-2009 at 05:07 PM

Hey man

You can use a wake board but it's not that good. They have to much rocker front to back and won't really go upwind that well. Also when there is enough wind to use it you won't be able to hold your edge well.
Also your right, the bindings will likely be hard to put on while holding the kite.
If your learning this will make things a lot harder.
If you already know how to kite it can't hurt to try. Let us know how it goes.
Your better to buy an old kiteboard cheap to learn on.
There are lots of other posts about this on here if you look.
On the binding question most wakeboards I've seen have the same mounting pattern as kiteboards. Meaning they should fit on, but I've only seen 4 or 5 wakeboards.

Hope this helps
John
power
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 26-11-2009 at 05:12 PM

A few more questions. What's the rocker? Why won't I be able to hold my edge as well as a normal kiteboard? He told me that there are 5 fins, as opposed to the usual 4 on a kiteboard. I just want something that will get me going, and maybe last for a season while I work my way through the beginning stages.

-08 Best Nemesis HP 14m
-07 North Rhino 10m
-05 Best Nemesis 10m
-04 Slingshot Fuel 13m
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 26-11-2009 at 05:28 PM

From what I have been told you will be as well off trying to use a skim board as a poor persons option.
Even a home made Plyboard will work better.
The wake board is frustrating from what I hear ?

Wake board bindings were common when the sport started out but the board sucks.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
manitoulinkiter1

[*] posted on 26-11-2009 at 09:02 PM

Hey Again

Rocker is the amount of curve on the bottom of the board from front to back. Like a rocking chair. When you set the board on the ground the middle will sit on the ground and the tips are up in the air.
With to much rocker the board will push the water in front of it instead of coming up on plain. It will require more power to get you going.
A wakeboard won't go upwind well because it has different concave than a kiteboard.
Concave is the opposite of rocker. The edges are lower than the center. On a kiteboard the concave is from side to side.
With a lot of kiteboards you can take the fins off and still go upwind. Newer kiteboards have different amounts of concave at different places on the board.
For rocker look at the board front to back or back to front on the bottom.
For concave look at the board from side to side between the footpads but on the bottom.
If your learning a longer wider flat board will have you up and riding easier than the wakeboard.
Give the wake board a try, if you have trouble find a cheap kiteboard you'll only be out time.

John
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-11-2009 at 07:58 AM

Do a bit of searching about home made Plyboards !
You can make a pretty functional unit very cheap.

The wakeboard will create some unwanted agro . If all you have is a wakeboard older C kite and no lessons I'm just seeing you making this so hard for yourself. I can tell you want it enough that you will work against the odds. People have made all the choices you are making now a long time ago. It can be easier is all I am hoping that you know!

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
power
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 27-11-2009 at 08:33 PM

I know. I'm going to look into making a plyboard for the spring so I can be out there as soon as the water's warm enough. I'm hoping to get some help from a friend on self rescue and water safety instead of spending a fortune on lessons. We'll see how things work out.

-08 Best Nemesis HP 14m
-07 North Rhino 10m
-05 Best Nemesis 10m
-04 Slingshot Fuel 13m

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio