Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ozone Manta M3 12m and 2010 Ozone Frenzy FYX 7m
Maven454
Posting Freak

Mood: I has a grumpy.

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 04:13 PM
Ozone Manta M3 12m and 2010 Ozone Frenzy FYX 7m

They're finally here! My new Ozone Manta M3 12m and 2010 Ozone Frenzy FYX 7m. I posted pictures of the unboxing on flickr --> here :smilegrin:. I'll post reviews when I get a chance to fly them. Additional pictures of the Frenzy will be posted in that gallery when we fix the fact that they sent me the wrong color :(. But they're finally here and I'm so excited :D!

The build quality on the Manta is excellent, which is what I would expect from Ozone. The repair kit includes patches for all three different colors on the kite and is held inside the bag by a velcro strip that makes it easy to pull out if you need it, but seems unlikely to come out accidentally.

"I gave up on wind speeds... its either crappy, gravy, epic, or stupid... in that order"
--Drewculous

Ozone: Imp III Quattro 1m and 1.5m, Flow 2m, 3m, 4m, and 5m.
NAPKA# US454
kiteNH

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 04:35 PM

I love that shiny olive color. I'd love to try out a 10m Manta M3 myself.

What color Frenzy did you order/receive? Might be easier to just keep it. After all snowkite season is upon us! Don't want to miss any fly time waiting for your 7m to come back unless they can send the other one right out. The day you send it out you're guaranteed to have 20 mph winds!
Maven454
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 04:47 PM

The Frenzy was supposed to be the same color. I would have accepted a red one and still been perfectly happy. They sent the orange one which I really don't like. Kent told me that if they haven't fixed the color issue by next weekend (Tug Hill) to go ahead and use the 7m that I have and he'll make sure it gets replaced with the correct color afterward. I should note that while Kent is the one making sure this is fixed, it is not his fault. The distributor is the one that mailed the kites.

"I gave up on wind speeds... its either crappy, gravy, epic, or stupid... in that order"
--Drewculous

NAPKA# US454
furbowski
Posting Freak

Mood: stuck on a small island with big trees and tiny beaches...

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 05:02 PM

12m manta.... grrrrr. m3? :o very nice. I look forwards to hearing about it!

and just for the record, I know darn well I ain't no snow doc :megan: , but thanks for the shout on the other thread. :embarrased:

have fun on the snow there, bro.

fixed bridles, flying static, been two years now... ??? folks must be wondering....

sting 1.7, dp power 2.5, crossfire 3.2, ace 5, blade iv 6.5, ace 8, ace 12...

also a couple of arcs, 12 syn and 12 phanny, but i\'m not yet up to speed on them.

(13.11.09)
kiteNH

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 05:06 PM

So far I've always tried to get different colors just for the variety and because it makes it MUCH easier to identify the kite just by looking in the bag. I often carry multiple Ozone's in one bag and they look really similar all rolled unless they are different colors. Just something to consider.

I really like the orange color of my kite, but I'm not a big fan or the orange and the black together. Although my Frenzy was in orange and black and it really grew on me. All that orange looked awesome in the sky. I miss that kite.
Maven454
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 05:12 PM

So far, all the Ozone kites I have are that same olive green color :D. I like it. But, as I said, I would have been perfectly happy with the red. It's just the orange I don't like. I'm originally from Ohio and the orange on the kite is the same as the orange construction barrels that are jokingly referred to as our state flower ;).

--Drewculous

NAPKA# US454
Maven454
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 06:05 PM

Oh man! I just unwound the lines from the bar and got a good look at it. I'm nearly as excited about getting to use the new bar as I am about getting to fly the kite. This thing is beautiful :o! I'm not 100% sold on the clam cleat (time will tell) though I do think it will solve the issue I have with straps (grapping the wrong end). Out of the entire bar, the only bit that worries me is the new elastic tabs to hold your lines. I love the fact that they retract into the bar when not in use, but I worry that will cause wear and make them break. Every piece of the bar is trim and beautiful. It all looks wonderfully thought out. And there are absolutely no rough spots or burrs, the build quality is really nice.

--Drewculous

NAPKA# US454
shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

Mood: low winds here I come

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 06:27 PM

Very Beautiful kites there Maven:bouncing: Glad to see they finally made it out to you. I'm sure you will enjoy hours of flight time with these babies. That olive color looks very classy.

Shaggs

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
152cm lib tech skate banana
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
cheezycheese
Posting Freak

Mood: Ready for action !!!

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maven454
the orange on the kite is the same as the orange construction barrels that are jokingly referred to as our state flower ;).

thats like the NY state flower- the construction cone
or the parking ticket, both orange :smilegrin::smilegrin:

US888
PL- Aero v1 11m / Phantom 6/9/12/15/18
Ozone Chrono v2 9m
Liquid Force Elite 6.5m
Flysurfer - Peak 3 4m
PKD - Century 2.5m, Soulfly 3.5m
Ted's Profoil-1m/3.5m
Custom NABX Rev
GT Rapide V/VTT-XR+ Special
power
Posting Freak

Mood: Arcy

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 09:16 PM

Can't wait to here what you think about these. I'm starting to consider your advice- open cell depower seems like it is just SO much easier than any other depower for land.

-08 Best Nemesis HP 14m
-07 North Rhino 10m
-05 Best Nemesis 10m
-04 Slingshot Fuel 13m
-05 Flexi Storm 8m, 10m, 12m, 14m (FOR SALE!!)
-05 Naish 5.5m (FOR SALE!!)
Houston AirHead
Posting Freak

Mood: Smooth winds

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 11:54 PM

why did you decide to get a manta 12m? why not both frenzys, did you figure if your going to be flying it in lighter wind, so why have a more agressive kite?

2011 17 Best Taboo
2008 Caution Mayhem 9m
Flysurfer Speed 5 15m
Legend 3
Ace II 8 - for sale rarely used....

Maven454
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-1-2010 at 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Houston AirHead
why did you decide to get a manta 12m? why not both frenzys, did you figure if your going to be flying it in lighter wind, so why have a more agressive kite?

I ordered two Frenzies. The US distributor was/is having stock problems. I've been told that if I decide that I don't like the Manta, it will be replaced with the Frenzy that I actually ordered (assuming that they have any by then). In the mean time, at least I have a kite.

--Drewculous

NAPKA# US454
herc

Mood: wanting a Charger

[*] posted on 9-1-2010 at 03:17 PM

maven, could you do me a big favour ? could you put your kites on a kitchen skale and measure their weight ? i am asking, because i have this thread about "weight per projected area" that is a relatively good indicator about light wind suitability. thread is here:
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2360753&...

it would be very interesting, how the manta, the lightwind opencell kite from ozone, compares to flysurfers.
i know there are a lot of other factors that are important for lightwind performance, but measuring one (mass) is better than just marketing buzz.

Kites:
Tubes: Ozone Zephyr 17 * Naish Helix 2009 10.5 qm * Cabrinha Access 2003 9qm * Wipika Hydro 2001 9qm *
Arcs: PL Scorpion 13, 16 qm; PL Synergy 10 qm
open cell: PL Twister I 7.7 * PKD Buster II 3qm
Paragliders: Gradient Bright Classic (with check) * Swing Mistral 1 (groundhandling) *Advance Alpha 3 (groundhandling)
Maven454
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-1-2010 at 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by herc
maven, could you do me a big favour ? could you put your kites on a kitchen skale and measure their weight ? i am asking, because i have this thread about "weight per projected area" that is a relatively good indicator about light wind suitability. thread is here:
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2360753&...

it would be very interesting, how the manta, the lightwind opencell kite from ozone, compares to flysurfers.
i know there are a lot of other factors that are important for lightwind performance, but measuring one (mass) is better than just marketing buzz.

No can do. I don't have a scale that would get any closer than 1 or 2 lbs.

--Drewculous

NAPKA# US454
bobalooie57
Posting Freak

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 9-1-2010 at 06:56 PM

So, did you fly them today? And was it the Radical that Todd was talking about (which kite tossed you?). Just wondering, you are o.k. aren't you?

Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
1.4M Beamer III, 2M Beamer IV,2M Toxic HQ , 7.5MApex III, HQ, Quadrifoil XXXL (9.66M), NPW5 2.4,4.8m, NPW9 3.4M(HQ),NPW9 7M (RASTA\'S FURY), NPW9 7.6M (BIG SISTAH),NPW9 12MGREENMONSTER(km4), P L Comp ST buggy,PL Bigfoot+ buggy, Atomic Alibi Snowboard, Protec Knee/Elbow Pads & Helmet, Seirus wristguards, Demon crash shorts, LaCross chest/shoulder pads. (tryin\' to be safe!)
Maven454
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 9-1-2010 at 07:10 PM

It was the 12m Manta that tossed me, I'm fine. I flew both the Manta and the Frenzy.

I can't give much of a review on the Manta yet (other than that it's powerful). But here are some thoughts on the Frenzy. The Frenzy turns very fast, goes very far upwind, and has an insanely light bar pressure. It does have back line tuners, so I can adjust the bar pressure, but these are just my thoughts on the factory default settings.

--Drewculous

NAPKA# US454
bobalooie57
Posting Freak

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 9-1-2010 at 07:18 PM

Great to hear you're fine, sounds like you had fun! Can you tell we had very little wind today up here, and it didn't get above 10 deg.F here today, and I'm still without wheels so I've been sitting here far too long???

Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
1.4M Beamer III, 2M Beamer IV,2M Toxic HQ , 7.5MApex III, HQ, Quadrifoil XXXL (9.66M), NPW5 2.4,4.8m, NPW9 3.4M(HQ),NPW9 7M (RASTA\'S FURY), NPW9 7.6M (BIG SISTAH),NPW9 12MGREENMONSTER(km4), P L Comp ST buggy,PL Bigfoot+ buggy, Atomic Alibi Snowboard, Protec Knee/Elbow Pads & Helmet, Seirus wristguards, Demon crash shorts, LaCross chest/shoulder pads. (tryin\' to be safe!)
Maven454
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 07:59 AM

Additional thoughts that didn't make it out of my head yesterday:
The bar (both kites) was obviously designed for snow kiting, as every last piece is easy to use with gloves on. As are the zips and openings on the backpack.
The Frenzy has an awful lot of depower with the clam cleat, though there didn't seem to be much moving the bar (back line tuners may help that).

--Drewculous

NAPKA# US454
herc

Mood: wanting a Charger

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 09:33 AM

@maven: thanks anyway. maybe you will run across a finer grained scale sometimes. or do you have a Wii and WiiFit ? with that (or some ordinary person weight scale) , you could measure using the difference principle: first weight yourself, then go again on the scale and weight yourself plus holding the kite.

Kites:
Tubes: Ozone Zephyr 17 * Naish Helix 2009 10.5 qm * Cabrinha Access 2003 9qm * Wipika Hydro 2001 9qm *
Arcs: PL Scorpion 13, 16 qm; PL Synergy 10 qm
open cell: PL Twister I 7.7 * PKD Buster II 3qm
Paragliders: Gradient Bright Classic (with check) * Swing Mistral 1 (groundhandling) *Advance Alpha 3 (groundhandling)
Maven454
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 10-1-2010 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by herc
@maven: thanks anyway. maybe you will run across a finer grained scale sometimes. or do you have a Wii and WiiFit ? with that (or some ordinary person weight scale) , you could measure using the difference principle: first weight yourself, then go again on the scale and weight yourself plus holding the kite.

I'll see what I can do, but don't expect to get you anything any time soon.

--Drewculous

NAPKA# US454
Maven454
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-1-2010 at 06:32 AM

The 7m Frenzy is being swapped for an 8m Manta at Tug Hill. So if you desperately want to know something about the 2010 Frenzy, now is the time to ask. :wink2: If you want to see the Frenzy being launched look at Todd's new video --> here.

--Drewculous

NAPKA# US454
kiteNH

[*] posted on 13-1-2010 at 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maven454
The 7m Frenzy is being swapped for an 8m Manta at Tug Hill. So if you desperately want to know something about the 2010 Frenzy, now is the time to ask. :wink2: If you want to see the Frenzy being launched look at Todd's new video --> here.

So you're ditching the Frenzy for the Manta? Funny since you originally wanted both Frenzys. Why the swap? What do you like better about the Mantas?
Maven454
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-1-2010 at 07:03 AM

I liked the way it handled a little better and felt like I got more feedback from the bar. Though as stated above, I didn't try tweaking the back line trimmers on the Frenzy :dunno:. When I ordered them I wouldn't have minded going for the Manta, but it wasn't available yet and I wasn't sure I wanted to pay the extra cost. With the way things worked out, I only paid for the Frenzies :D. So it's a sweet deal! Plus I like having both of my main kites be the same model. That should help me me get really familiar with all of their handling characteristics.

--Drewculous

NAPKA# US454
kiteyakker

Mood: Is it winter yet?

[*] posted on 21-1-2010 at 07:30 PM

Hey Maven, what exactly does shortening the backline trimmers do for you? I have messed with mine a bit on my '09 Frenzy 11M and it didn't see to do much of anything, other than eventually slip back on their own back to the original position, with the little white marks showing inside the plastic ladder lock.

If anything, pulling the trimmers in a bit seemed to make the turning a bit more sluggish, and the 11M seems to be sluggish as it is, not as quick turning as my '07 10M frenzy was. Do the Mantas turn that much quicker than the frenzies? Whats been your experience so far?

16M LF Assault
14M Ozone Frenzy
10M Ozone Frenzy
11M Slingshot T2
8M Ozone Access XC
6M Ozone Access XC
B4 Slingshot
power
Posting Freak

Mood: Arcy

[*] posted on 21-1-2010 at 08:49 PM

How lifty are the mantas?

-08 Best Nemesis HP 14m
-07 North Rhino 10m
-05 Best Nemesis 10m
-04 Slingshot Fuel 13m
-05 Flexi Storm 8m, 10m, 12m, 14m (FOR SALE!!)
-05 Naish 5.5m (FOR SALE!!)
Maven454
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 22-1-2010 at 04:30 AM

@kiteyakker: Tightening the trimmers is supposed to result in a higher bar pressure. Both the Manta and the Frenzy have a really, really light bar pressure on the default settings. Since it results in shortening the back lines, it should increase responsiveness some what as well. The 7m Frenzy did seem to turn a little faster than the 8m Manta, but that's not really surprising given the size difference. I suspect that if they were really the same size, they would turn at the same speed. The Frenzy only really seemed responsive when the bar was pulled in and I'm hoping that tightening the back lines with the trimmers will help that.

@power: Fairly lifty. I had a couple of small hops just using the kite to get up on the snowboard.

--Drewculous

NAPKA# US454

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio