Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Scorpion 10m Review
flyjump
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 25-1-2010 at 07:07 AM
Scorpion 10m Review

So I was finally able to give the 10m scorp a try. Winds were only at 17mph, and I think the bottom end of the wind range for this kite is supposed to be at 12mph. So yesterday wasn't completely ideal, but I take what I can get.

First, It takes almost no time at all to inflate this kite. Since it is smaller and it needs to be flown in higher winds the setup time is a snap compared to the 13 and 16. The only problem is that the air can get pushed out a little bit easier compared the larger models. Every scorpion owner knows that these kites need to be inflated as much as possible before launching. Luckily i've had plenty of practise and was flying in no time.

Second, this kite is FAST! I was using my 50cm bar and I can already tell that this will be the kite that I learn kiteloops with. The speed of this kite combined with high winds will create huge amounts of lift! Scorpions are already designed to lift you high, riding in high winds will make this easier. once I was moving in one direction, all I did was make a small tug on the bar, way less input that the bigger scorps, and the kite would shoot across the zenith. I've never used an arc this small and it looks like a bird darting around in the sky.

Third, the amount of power this small kite creates is incredibly impressive. I didn't think small kites could pull and lift like they do. whats also really cool is the amount of depower that is available. I'm used to using larger kites in higher winds, and this kite didn't even feel like it was there when it was at the zenith.

Lift, well you know its a scorpion lol. Although the float down isn't as good as the larger models obviously.

Overall, this kite is fun and waaay fast compared to bigger arcs. I can't wait to use this in 25mph winds. My guess is it will be epic

herc

Mood: wanting a Charger

[*] posted on 26-1-2010 at 07:39 AM

nice review flyjump! do you have pictures or videos?
you are saying your 10sqm scorp inflates better than your 16sqm?

well, i did the opposite observation. my 16sqm scorpion inflates easily, while my little 7 sqm scorpion needs lots of time to fill. must be the smaller air inlets and also the much smaller gaze inside the kite?!

Kites:
Tubes: Ozone Zephyr 17 * Naish Helix 2009 10.5 qm * Cabrinha Access 2003 9qm * Wipika Hydro 2001 9qm *
Arcs: PL Scorpion 13, 16 qm; PL Synergy 10 qm
open cell: PL Twister I 7.7 * PKD Buster II 3qm
Paragliders: Gradient Bright Classic (with check) * Swing Mistral 1 (groundhandling) *Advance Alpha 3 (groundhandling)
flyjump
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 26-1-2010 at 07:59 AM

It inflated quicker than my 13 and 16 because I use the 10 in high winds 20+ mph. When you open the zipper, hold it open so the mesh screen is exposed so wind has a smoother path of travel

Ataud.Verde

[*] posted on 28-1-2010 at 06:26 PM

I agree with Herc, the Scorp 7 takes forever to inflate, even in strong winds..

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio