Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ozone Frenzy FYX 13m 2010
Spartan

thumbup.gif posted on 17-3-2010 at 09:40 AM
Ozone Frenzy FYX 13m 2010

Well I’ve had my 13m Ozone FYX Frenzy 2010 model from Kite Power for quite a while now, with enough flying time to make a complete and informed write up of this kite. When I first picked it up and got it home, opened it up on my lounge room floor, stretched it out and mate, it did look big and impressive. But as we all know looks can be deceiving I thought.
A little on me firstly, I’m a Kite Blader (Kite Skater ), Buggier and dabbled with
land boards. The wind I fly in varies from 7 – 35knts. But I’m hoping that this kite will have me flying in around 4knts, again I’m hoping.
I’ve had the 11m which is already a great low wind engine but I want more. Yes I know I’m greedy.

The Megatron loop
The chicken loop is thicker and a tougher plastic, judging by its looks and there’s vast improvement on the swivel, which is bigger and easier to handle.

The bar

The set up of the new bar, is now is thicker with extra meat around the centre hole for extra strength, by looking at it you can see that it would be virtually impossible to break.
The Original Ozone Y-Line design: 3 x 25m lines from bar splitting to 4 at kite.
The bar and lines are colored red left grey middle and blue for right.

The safety system

The safety system is I believe the best of its kind, and once that top hat is released the power is cut and the kite just flutters to the ground and sits there waiting for you on the ground. The centre line its blocked with a stopper ring to keep it from getting to far out of reach, which makes it so much easer and safer to reload.
I’ve tried other similar systems and found them a little fiddly trying to reload it as you have to try walking towards the kite to get the line back to reload, and in gusty situations can be very frustrating.

The Line Trimmers

The back line trimmers are also on this model and the benefit of being able to adjust the back lines, which also ads bar pressure as well as extra down low grunt.

The First Flight

Well I had the kite out before the wind picked up at about 2-4kts, and it really surprised me, Three good tugs on the centre line, turned it to its side, kept it moving and up she went with NO hint of falling out of the sky. All I had to do is just keep it moving, I jumped in the buggy and off I went.
Compared to my 11m 09 Frenzy, the 2010 Frenzy even though it’s a 13m turns faster when you loop the kite, its turning ability is nearly as quick as the 9m and that’s great for a kite of this size.

A couple of weeks back I was out with the boys for a beach run at Torque for a light wind run. We all had our big kites out I was the fastest with the 13m, then it was Douglas with his 11m Frenzy, then Joe with his 12.5m Montana and last was Chris with his 9.5m Montana and no one could keep up to the 13m in 4knts of wind. What a kite, as soon as it builds up apparent wind it just keeps pulling faster and faster, then pull the trim strap 5-10mm and faster again it goes, when the kite over shoots just by pulling the bar fully, back it comes and just sits there dragging you along for the ride. I was even doing little jumps and mind you we are still talking 4-5 knts.
As the wind picked up I just pulled in the trimmer strap some more and it depowered beautifully, and still had more strap to depower the kite.
At my local park I’ve had the kite out in 16-17knts and was still in control, while one of the boys put away his 9.5m for a 8m access, but it did get scary at over 18-20kts.

In Summery this is the low wind machine I was looking for, and with its top end at around 15-17knts for me is awesome. The pattern and color scheme looks great to.
Maven454
Posting Freak

Mood: I has a grumpy.

[*] posted on 17-3-2010 at 10:50 AM

Yeah. I flew the 7m 2010 Frenzy at one point and they just go faster and faster. And go really far up wind.

"I gave up on wind speeds... its either crappy, gravy, epic, or stupid... in that order"
--Drewculous

Ozone: Imp III Quattro 1m and 1.5m, Flow 2m, 3m, 4m, and 5m.
NAPKA# US454
herc

Mood: wanting a Charger

[*] posted on 13-4-2010 at 11:19 AM

i had a chance to fly an ozone frenzy fyx 13sqm 2010 last weekend.

besides all the good things:
nice bar, nice clamcleat, nice handling, super fast setup (just pull it out of the bag, unroll the bar and ready to go) , super grunty

there are two major drawbags i really couldnt believe for such an expensive and modern kite (i mean - whe have 2010!!)

* very short throw bar -- you are still VERY powered up if you let go of the bar, depending on adjuster settinig

* slow turning ! this thing turns as slow or slower than my scorpion 16sqm !

* compared to my arc kites and especially to my naish helix tube kite, the frenzy has very very little depower! whats that? can it be? or am i just used to long throw and dont like fiddeling with the adjuster? anyway - i didnt feel much effect by pulling the bar in or out. in one situation, i got lofted and let go of the bar - and that beast still continued to loft me ! bad thing!

* even slower turning if "depowered"... (but not as slow as my twister 7.7 ;-) )

so - all in all i am quite disappointed. the handling and low wind abilities were quite good, but the rest... i barely would call this a depower kite...

my hopes now go to flysurfer kites, they promise a 1:9 depower range. whatever that is - but it sounds good.

Kites:
Tubes: Ozone Zephyr 17 * Naish Helix 2009 10.5 qm * Cabrinha Access 2003 9qm * Wipika Hydro 2001 9qm *
Arcs: PL Scorpion 13, 16 qm; PL Synergy 10 qm
open cell: PL Twister I 7.7 * PKD Buster II 3qm
Paragliders: Gradient Bright Classic (with check) * Swing Mistral 1 (groundhandling) *Advance Alpha 3 (groundhandling)

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio