Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Getting Started
montana

Mood: Maybe if we are good Santa will bring us good wind and lots of snow?

[*] posted on 23-3-2010 at 08:31 AM
Getting Started

Hey gents I am ready to make the step over to the water side, still ATBin and skiing but I have always wanted to hit the water and I feel now is the time. First question can you use a regular wake board to kite surf? If so should you mod the bindings?
Thanks Guys,
Montana
ragden
Posting Freak

Mood: ready to ride...

[*] posted on 23-3-2010 at 08:38 AM

Wakeboards, generally speaking, have too much rocker to work for kitesurfing. I've heard of people using them, but most folks shy away from them these days. You would significantly more power to get going on a wakeboard, than a general kiteboard.

Where are you located at?

My first recommendation would be to check into lessons. Then hook up with some locals to show you the ropes of the local kitesurfing destinations.

Best of luck!

Flysurfer Speed 3 15m DELUXE
Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Flysurfer Psycho4 8m
Peter Lynn Buggy
Twisted Velocity (164)
Spleene (Monster) Door 164x50 (for sale?)
FlyDoor XL (2013)
2011 Spleene RS 132
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 23-3-2010 at 10:05 AM

i have used both for both and ....

wake board on a kite it"s "OK" ,drop the boots, a bit be slippery to start with the lift vector.

best step . a low buck something with a concave bottom like LF proof. easy to control and edge with to start out. if you have some board skills try as many you can as you get on after confidence builds.

hang with the crowd on the water see whats what.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
montana

[*] posted on 23-3-2010 at 04:00 PM

I am part of the UND SnowKite Club in Grand Forks ND. There aren't many guys, or any that I know of, that kite surf around here. Although there are a fair number that do it in Minn. I think I will giver her a try on the wake board first because its there and cheap. I am a fast at picking things up so I might give it a try. It seems like the hardest part might be trying to get up on the wake and keeping up your speed when turning?
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-3-2010 at 04:33 PM

You may want to look in to making a "plydoor" . It is just a very basic plywood board. Plenty of plans online. From what I understand you will be better off with a well made plydoor than a wakeboard?

You can ride on a serving tray if you have skill. Lou Wainman proved that long ago. He was a wakeboarder who discovered kiting and helped shape it.

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
montana

[*] posted on 23-3-2010 at 07:08 PM

Ya I think that a plydoor would be a slick idea, one of the other guys in the club here has built one, ends up it was shorter than he wanted but it looks like it would work, he has yet to put it to the test.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio