Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tampa Bay Area kitesurfing venues
pbc

Mood: Updated, edited, and published

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 08:25 PM
Tampa Bay Area kitesurfing venues

I'm headed to my folS-P-A-M-L-I-N-K-s house in Palm Harbor, FL next week and need a good venue to practice body dragging. Where's a good venue for a neophyte kitesurfer in northern Pinellas County? Maybe the Dunedin Beach Causeway? I fear there will be too many sail boats there. There are also power lines on the inland side of the causeway. And then there are the cars on the causeway itself. :-( I want a nice safe spot where I won't be in anyone's way.

I was also considering Fred Howard Park in Tarpon Springs between the beach and the mainland. If the tide is low it's pretty shallow--probably waist deep. I'm not sure if I have a good launch zone there though.

I welcome the input of some locals. AJ?

Philip

I fly: Charger II 6.5m * Charger II 8m * Charger II 10m * Scorpion 10 (for sale) * Phantom II 12m * F-Arc 1200 * Venom 13m

I ride: Peter Lynn XR+ on Midis * Flexifoil Midi/Barrow * Peter Lynn Comp on Barrows * Peter Lynn XR+ (needs a fork)

I build: Custom bars for buggy pilots

I write about kite stuff: at http://philipbchase.com

Philip Chase
action jackson

Mood: wind-holic

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 03:49 AM

Your best bet would be Howard on anything with west winds! I would stay away from Dunedin, lots of boat traffic.Make sure you wear booties! I just moved to OBX, but would of helped you out if I was still there.Good luck!.......aj

Ocean Rodeo Razors 8,10,12
Ocean Rodeo 5\'11 Surf series
PL Arcs 6,15m orange Phantoms 10,19m Venom 16m proto scorp ,synergy 12,
NPW\'s .5,2.8,6.9 and 15m skytex
145x49 crazy fly,Decay 142x42,aboards z- series 135x40
Pl xr+ buggy , Pl Kitecat hull #5
www.kittyhawkkites.com
www.wavesvillage.com
www.thekitexpo.com

\"Holding it down, since 20 knots!\"
pbc

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by action jackson
Your best bet would be Howard on anything with west winds! I would stay away from Dunedin, lots of boat traffic.Make sure you wear booties! I just moved to OBX, but would of helped you out if I was still there.Good luck!.......aj

Yeah, I was figuring on a west wind. So where's the good launch zone? Backside of the island? Is the wind clean enough to launch there?

I didn't realized you had moved to OBX. So are you seeking fame and fortune or just a better kite surfing venue? ;-)

Philip

I fly: Charger II 6.5m * Charger II 8m * Charger II 10m * Scorpion 10 (for sale) * Phantom II 12m * F-Arc 1200 * Venom 13m

I ride: Peter Lynn XR+ on Midis * Flexifoil Midi/Barrow * Peter Lynn Comp on Barrows * Peter Lynn XR+ (needs a fork)

Philip Chase
action jackson

Mood: wind-holic

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 04:30 PM

90% of the time there are a few other kiters there, so just set up upwind of them.You do get some rotor wind from the palms but soon as you get upwind of the Island no problems. The north side has deeper water!The southside is shallow all the way to sunset point.Alot of the kiters also use sunset to launch at but it is a tight launch!I never was there on the weekends but I hear the beaches are quit busy! I just moved to OBX last week so I have not even ridden here yet!Hopefully Monday the wind will turn on for the season!..........aj

Ocean Rodeo Razors 8,10,12
Ocean Rodeo 5\'11 Surf series
PL Arcs 6,15m orange Phantoms 10,19m Venom 16m proto scorp ,synergy 12,
NPW\'s .5,2.8,6.9 and 15m skytex
145x49 crazy fly,Decay 142x42,aboards z- series 135x40
Pl xr+ buggy , Pl Kitecat hull #5
www.kittyhawkkites.com
www.wavesvillage.com
www.thekitexpo.com

\"Holding it down, since 20 knots!\"
pbc

[*] posted on 8-4-2010 at 09:04 PM

I went to Sunset Point in Tarpon Springs late today and it was very busy. There were at least 10 kites in the air the entire time with at least another 15 inflated on the ground. The launch zone is very tight. Every launch I saw was assisted and they needed to be. It was 100% tube kites and the water was pretty busy. I figured this was not a good place for an Arc flyer to find an assisted launch or a good place for me to learn so I went just north to Fred Howard Park.

At Fred Howard there were zero kites--just a few windsurfers and a modicum of people and they were happy to work with me. There was lots more room to launch. Admittedly I had been there 2 days early and there were some many people on the back side of the island I didn't bother pulling anything out.

So anyway the winds today were great 15-20 MPH with minimal gusting. No squirrelly inflation issues with the Scorp today. :-) I did a lot of water dragging and it was pretty fun. The only problem was the volume of water that went into my nose. I can prevent this problem when I swim underwater by constantly exhaling from my nose, but somehow this did not work for me when harnessed to a kite. Ordinarily I can walk and chew gum at the same time but I wasn't about to test it after that session. :-)

Midway through my session I noticed one of the rangers was collecting trash on the beach. A bit later I looked back at the beach and my backpack was not to be seen. I could deal with loosing the pack, but my glasses and car key were in the pack. :no: I came out of the water, trotted down the beach toward the spot it was sitting and sure enough it was not there. I talked with a group on the beach and they didn't know where it went. As we were talking I see the ranger in his little golf cart in the parking lot. He sees me and says, "Is this yours?" as he lifts up my pack. He brought it down to me and everything was cool. It turns out they pick up about 6 forgotten packs each day and hold 'em at the ranger station 'til someone comes to pick them. I guess I need to attach a luggage tag to that bag lest it not return so quickly next time.

Philip

Philip Chase
mgatc

[*] posted on 9-4-2010 at 04:51 AM

Nicely done!

You coming to JIBE?

Mel

HQ: Scout 3m, Neo 11m, Neo 8m
PL: Scorpion 10m
Cabrinha: 12m Switchblade, 16m Crossbow
SU-2 Bigfoot, Liquid Force Proof 151, Klein 145
MBS Comp 90 Landboard
Flexifoil Buggy
Mystic Waist/Seat Harness
2 DIY Plyboards
PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 9-4-2010 at 06:47 AM

cool , seems like a good spot . keep rolling

your decision to locate at a favorable spot, pure champion !

a little trek away beats snags and targets EVERYTIME!

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
pbc

[*] posted on 9-4-2010 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mgatc
Nicely done!

You coming to JIBE?

Mel

Oh yes! Dean and I are sharing a site at the Jekyll Island Campground. I'm arriving Wednesday and have reserved the site through Sunday morning.

Bringing the family this year?

Philip

Philip Chase

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio