Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Peter Lynn Twister II 4.1 review --
bassboi

Mood: exhilarated

[*] posted on 5-4-2010 at 12:08 AM
Peter Lynn Twister II 4.1 review --

Being this is my first power kite, and I've only flown it 4 times so far, it will be slightly broken as I don't have much experience with power kites to give you guys the full details of handling, etc.

I'll start off by saying, WHOA. What a fun hobby/sport to enjoy. The first time I launched it, I went scudding down the baseball field zipping the kite left and right as I wasn't sure on the controls, and definitely crashed it a handful of times.

The second flight was better, as I kept it in the air longer and was able to finally bring it to the zenith. When it approached the zenith, I definitely felt the "floaty/lifty" feeling that I've read so much about. It literally lifted me from lying on my back to my feet. I'd move it left to right, slowly at a time, and then I attempted a loop. I say attempted because as soon as it swooped down and was at the 6 o'clock position of the loop, I was taken for a ride. Not sure on the distance, but it definitely likes to drag you around. I played with it for about 30 minutes that day, but I packed it up after it yanked me a few more times, ultimately dragging me on my stomach the last time. The field I was flying in was filled with picker bushes, and I was wearing shorts. I did get #@%$#!ed a few times on my ankles, and it sucked.

Now, the third flight, probably the best flight I've had so far. I went ride around and found a field of fresh plowed dirt that hadn't been made into rows for sugar cane planting. Not sure what these farmers are going to plant here, but it was an awesome place to kite, as the ground was soft that if it were to lift me a bit, I'd at least have a soft landing. I unpacked, set up, and lift-off. I zipped it around, left and right, getting more feel of the controls, and then I decided to loop, expecting not to be pulled. I was so wrong! This thing treats me like a rag doll, however, I can't help but smile. I must add that I am adding brake line bias when I am attempting to loop, and it's a pretty small loop that it makes, however, I'm certain that I am looping in the power zone, obviously. I was able to keep it in the zenith for a while, and get that lifty/floating feeling.

I also let some friends give it a try today, however, they couldn't keep it in the air. It stayed inflated, leading edge down to the ground the entire time. I think they need a few more sessions with it to fully get the feel of the controls.

I gave Power a ring to tell him about my adventures with the foil he sold me, and he was more than happy to talk to me about kites in general. I also sensed some excitement in his voice when I told him I was covered in scratches, brush burns, bruises, and full of dirt.

In closing, I am going to say this kite is like heroin. On the 3rd try, I think I got the feeling of the controls, and I can honestly say I am officially addicted.

I hope to find some fellow S. Louisiana kiters in the near future, maybe even introduce people to power kitng.

Good winds everyone!

Peter Lynn Twister II 4.1m
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 5-4-2010 at 04:24 AM

There you go! Welcome to the sport. Spread the Gospel according to Ripstop!

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island
power
Posting Freak

Mood: Arcy

[*] posted on 5-4-2010 at 06:05 AM

Well it sounds like I sold the kite to the right guy. Keep having fun and keep progressing with the sport, there's a long road of adventure and excitement ahead of you!

-08 Best Nemesis HP 14m
-07 North Rhino 10m
-05 Best Nemesis 10m
-04 Slingshot Fuel 13m
-05 Flexi Storm 8m, 10m, 12m, 14m (FOR SALE!!)
-05 Naish 5.5m (FOR SALE!!)
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-4-2010 at 08:59 AM

You have just figured out the MOST important thing in kiting ! Control is key!

Work hard on controling the kite + it's power on your command. Try and fly blind ( without looking ) as much as you can . If you are master of your kite it won't be working against you when you start to ride / jump.

Welcome to the dark side ! :bouncy:

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
bassboi

[*] posted on 22-4-2010 at 06:12 PM

Update --

I've been flying it off and on for the past couple weeks, and all I can say is you guys were right. It is an addiction. When I go ride to places to get some food or running errands, I'm always looking for a nice chunk of land to fly on. I've asked 2 people, 1 turned me down and 1 agreed to let me fly with no questions asked. I'm going to offer him to fly next time I go to that spot.

I do notice the kite turns a little slow... slower than i'd like, However, it's managable. I just pull a little harder on whichever side I'm turning, and it turns as I'd like. I did post a thread saying that the kite does this "propeller" effect, however, I think it's because of the way I'm flying it. It did it again today, but I pulled on one side and it leveled out and flew straight up. d do

I do admit, I do think I bought a kite that was a little too advanced for my skills. I think I did good though, because I don't know when I'll be able to afford another kite, and this thing seems like it's going to offer me hours upon hours of fun as time goes on.

My next purchase will probably be a Naish Cult or a PL Synergy -- I sure want to go on water with either one of those, though.

BigMikesKites

Mood: Go away RAIN

[*] posted on 22-4-2010 at 06:37 PM

Yeah, The 4.1 is a bit much for most first timers. That was my first kite and I quickly got a 2m as well to fly the windier days. Add a little brake to one side and that kite will turn pretty nice.

Mike
Owner Big Mike's Kites
http://www.BigMikesKites.com

Kites: Most of them
Buggy: VTT BLACK WIDOW...The best
Peter Lynn XR+ w VTT Rail Kit
Landboard: Not a chance
Water: still trying
Drewculous
Posting Freak

Mood: Official Tough Mudder :D

[*] posted on 23-4-2010 at 06:34 AM

i like my twister..... it is my go to kite.... no matter the winds (pretty much) i can fly that bad boy and have a blast with it.

glad the hooks are in! post up some pics!

....any idea on #2 yet, lol

PL: Twister II 5.6m, Phantom 15m / 12m, 10m Synergy, JIBE Viper 5.3m, Charger 19m
HQ: Montana 4 12.5m, Apex 3 5m
Flexi: Blade ViP, Rage 1.8m \"lil Pepi!\"
FlexiFoot Bug / FlexDeck / MBS Core 95 / Custom Carbon Fiber MTH \"Monster Door\"
Corsair Crash Test Dummy (QC Suervisor :lol: )
My most perfect days have been on Jekyll
mougl
Posting Freak

Mood: Stoked for JIBE!!!

[*] posted on 23-4-2010 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Akulakat
Yeah, The 4.1 is a bit much for most first timers. That was my first kite and I quickly got a 2m as well to fly the windier days. Add a little brake to one side and that kite will turn pretty nice.

LOL reminds me of what I did! My first was the 5.6 and I ordered the viper 2.6 very shortly after.

I still love my friends 4.1 though...when the wind is too much for the 5.6, the 4.1 is usually just right :)

US357
PB: 53.1 mph

Drewculous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-4-2010 at 11:20 AM

[hijack]

mougl you got the reactor!!!
awesome!!

[/hijack]

PL: Twister II 5.6m, Phantom 15m / 12m, 10m Synergy, JIBE Viper 5.3m, Charger 19m
FlexiFoot Bug / FlexDeck / MBS Core 95 / Custom Carbon Fiber MTH \"Monster Door\"
bassboi

[*] posted on 28-4-2010 at 06:34 PM

Heres the most recent youtube video - i was flying in variable light winds, as you can see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fwsn6uuDFI

Acro flirturtle

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 05:08 AM

Hi All,

ive just started getting on the board with a 4.5 kite i braught in decathlon.

I am planning to get a 3m, 5.6m , 7.7m Twister for a hole range of winds.

Mony is a big thing so d power will probably never b an option but from what ive read it is fully capable kite of learning and jumping.

Is this a good option or any other ideas.

regards
Drewculous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 06:25 AM

How much do you weigh?

Id say go for the 7.7..... but low wind days have been killin me!

Plus you have some time on the smaller, this should be no biggie, just take it slow, she's a tank!

dandre

Mood: Dems kite nerd fightin\' werds

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 01:15 PM

can I talk about my 5.6 some more?
Drewculous
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dandre
can I talk about my 5.6 some more?

No.

:lol:

Acro flirturtle

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 11:31 PM

LOL but the question is, would it be a good idea to get all 3 sizes mentioned above for a veraity of winds?

Thanks a million for the advise guys.
Acro flirturtle

[*] posted on 9-9-2011 at 04:40 AM

Ohh 70-75kg sorry
Clunthoo

[*] posted on 16-12-2011 at 07:09 AM

Holy thread revival batman! :P
Thinking of getting one of these. It's between the 4m hornet or the 4.1m twister for a bit more $$. Going to be using it with a landboard so leaning towards the twister. I have had a 2m hornet for about 3/4 years now and I'm able to throw that around no bother. Ideas?

Peter Lynn Hornet 2m
Ozone Access XC 10m

Scrub Silver Reef II
DAKITEZ
Posting Freak

Mood: Go Fly A Kite!

[*] posted on 16-12-2011 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Clunthoo
Holy thread revival batman! :P
Thinking of getting one of these. It's between the 4m hornet or the 4.1m twister for a bit more $$. Going to be using it with a landboard so leaning towards the twister. I have had a 2m hornet for about 3/4 years now and I'm able to throw that around no bother. Ideas?

the hornet will have very little lift and the twister will have more lift. The twister will turn faster and have better performance. They are not very similar at all so it should be a easy decision. Get the kite that will suit your needs not your wallet :)
Clunthoo

[*] posted on 16-12-2011 at 11:54 AM

Sounds like I will be riding a twister next year then :)

Edit: The bar that comes with the twister I may be getting is the Peter Lynn Classic Bar. Is there a way of mounting a chicken loop onto it so I can use a harness also?

Peter Lynn Hornet 2m
Ozone Access XC 10m

Scrub Silver Reef II

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio