Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: board help
kitedelight

[*] posted on 20-4-2010 at 09:49 AM
board help

Hey all,

So, I got into snowkiting this year, and want to get into the water this summer. I will be kiting on an inland lake. I don't know the exact wind ranges on the lake. One is lower north of me (probably standard inland lake range - ie, light), and the other in the south should blow a bit more simply because that whole area gets more wind. I have a Flysurfer psycho4 12.

I have 2 boards that I could buy for a decent price

1) eclipse sabre 137x46 (very similar to the skywalker lightwind apparently if any are familiar with that board instead)

2) 2009 liquid force recoil 137(x40 or thereabouts).

Which would you guys buy if you were starting out, and why?

---

Here are some of my thoughts.

The guy I bought the kite from is the same weight as me (75kg), and he has the 137 liquid force recoil and *highly* recommends it. He got 12 - 25 knots out of the psycho4 and recoil, and he said essentially the 137 recoil could be considered a one board quiver at my weight. The only down side is that it is lacking a smidgen in the lightwind department (although does pretty darn well at 12 knots). I am not sure if this is a big deal because of the lake down south. Also, if I ever get a second board, it would be smaller, so I would be always missing that really low range in the board department.

If I go for the sabre, I would definitely be committed to a 2 board quiver. And, it only gets 8 knots to 18 *max*. 8 knots with the right kite, probably not mine. I would expect to get maybe 10 with my kite. But, this 2 board quiver would be a larger range out of the deal in the end. But, I would be stuck at 18 knots maximum until I pick up the 2nd board (maybe not even until next summer).

But, I am wondering if I will really be cracking that plus 18 knot range anyway this summer. I am not jumping yet, and I know at the 18-25 range my kite will give tons of lift. Not ure I am ready for that.

Anyway, some help would be appreciated.

thanks
ragden
Posting Freak

Mood: ready to ride...

[*] posted on 20-4-2010 at 10:06 AM

Unfortunately, the only recommendation I can give, is to find out the average wind ranges on that lake. That is what is going to determine the right board for you. I currently have a two-board quiver, and I'm a bit frustrated because the difference between my boards is so large. Having one board that covers MOST conditions will probably be a better choice, but I'd say get a feel for the winds in your area before you commit. It would really suck if you got the smaller board, and then found out that winds in the summer in your area never get above 12 mph....

Flysurfer Speed 3 15m DELUXE
Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Flysurfer Psycho4 8m
Peter Lynn Buggy
Twisted Velocity (164)
Spleene (Monster) Door 164x50 (for sale?)
FlyDoor XL (2013)
2011 Spleene RS 132
kitedelight

[*] posted on 20-4-2010 at 09:49 PM

So, the lakes up north and east of me can gets lots of 12-15mph days, but the lake down south can get more wind on a regular basis. I am still trying to dig that info up. But, I guess even that gives me a direction. If I get the liquid force boad, 12-15 is kinda when the board starts getting going. I guess the recoil would limit me to the one lake down south. I at least have more options with the sabre as far as location. Seems the sabre is the better choice at the moment. I am just having a tough time letting go of that recoil deal - its that good.

Anybody have or use either board, and how did you like them?
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 20-4-2010 at 09:50 PM

Bigger board for learning.

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio