Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Doomwheels / New to Power Kiting / Washington, DC Area
pgrepps

[*] posted on 8-7-2005 at 12:04 PM
Doomwheels / New to Power Kiting / Washington, DC Area

I just bought a Slingshot Wasp 3M Trainer kite after taking a kiteboarding lesson down at Outer Banks, NC on vacation. I'm a part-time windsurfer and don't get to the water that much. Now kiting looks like the way to go for me. It's so much easier to setup a kite than it is to rig a windsurfing sail.

Now I'm thinking about building some doomwheels, but won't do so until I find some cheap kids bikes for sale to get the wheels.

I might be able to get some power out of my 3M on a really windy day, but I'll probably have to get a bigger kite at some point to have any fun on the doomwheels as I'm 6'6" and 275 lbs.

Has anyone tried using a homemade Nasa Parawing with kiteskates or should I stick to buying a dual line parafoil or quad-line parafoil?

Anyone out there kiteskate in the Washington, DC area?
fightingfish

[*] posted on 10-7-2005 at 12:48 PM

I've never kiteskated, and I'm new to kiting in general. However, I would probably go with a quad line foil. I really like my 4m Ozone Samurai. It pulls my buggy pretty good in about 15mph winds. If I could go back in time, I would have bought the 5m Samurai though. But the 4 is good, seeing as i'm a newb still.

Nasa wings supposedly have tons of pull, and I think they tend to keep you on the ground(not too much lift). People seem to not like them for going upwind, although I think some mods to the original Nasa wing are better at moving upwind.
Mouse

[*] posted on 11-7-2005 at 07:52 PM

I'm fairly new to doomwheeling myself but i've been very surprised about how easy these buggers roll. I've even used a 2m trainer to just cruise on windier days and have had no problems getting moving pretty fast. When you put yours together and give them a try without the kite for the first time you'll probably be surprised how easily they roll...even moreso if you hook a rope to your g/f and have her be your kite just to see what it's gonna be like hehe.

Ride on chief!

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio