Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What else do i need?
f0rgiv3n
Posting Freak

Mood: Throw caution to the wind.

[*] posted on 3-5-2010 at 07:51 PM
What else do i need?

I'm hoping to get out on the water this summer and I've only been kite landboarding for the past 3 years. I have a dakine pyro waist harness... do i need an impact vest? What about lifevests? Does anyone fly with a life vest or is that too cumbersome? What about good brands on wetsuits.... There's a lotta crappy made chinese knock-off stuff out there, what good brands should I be shopping for?

Kites:PL Hornet 2.0m, 15m Synergy
Dakine Pyro Harness
Rides: MBS Comp 16 Pro, Sector9 Longboard, Forum Snowboard
And always a helmet
My Kiting Blog
arkay
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 3-5-2010 at 11:01 PM

Depends where you are flying... it's always worthwile to have extra flotation. How much you need depends on your water (salt or fresh) and the wetsuit you have. There was a thread on this in the past few week, i recall.

Should also get a water helmet, like a protec ace stule, if you are using a landbased helmet. Water helmets are generally solid foam and won't hold water ;)

As for wetsuits, depends on your water temp what you'll need. I'm *guessing* that the water is relitavly cold if you will be flying in ID that you'd want a 4/3. If you'be got warmer and a good tolerance water a helmet and flotation is all you need. I've really been liking my xcel x-zip, but also found that o'neil's pattern fits my rockin XL/S. The thing with wetsuites, imho, it that it's all abut fit. you need to try it on and see what work. you'll probably end up unhappy buying off the net if you don't already know what works for you. I'd reccomend going local and with a major brand. If your water is really cold then you might wat booties. If you have a local shop, they should be able to tell you what ppl generally are using in the area.

US503 - Manzanita, Oregon

Fixed Bridal: Flexifoil Sting 1.2, 1.7; Rage Acid 2.5m, 3.5m, 4.7m, 6m | Peter Lynn Vapor 11.2m, 16.1m | NPW 7m
Depower : Peter Lynn Venom 2 13m, 16m, 19m | Peter Lynn Phantom 15m | Flysurfer 2.5 SA 19m
LEI : Flexifoil Atom 7m, 9m, 12m; Mutiny 8m
Land rides : Libre Hardcore; Libre v-max; Peter Lynn XR+W | Rollerblade Coyotes! | Ground Industries AK Pro
Water rides : Slingshot Misfit 134; Ocean Rodeo Mako 150; North WAM! 5\'10

4 Sale/Trade: HQ M1 5m, Flysurfer Pulse 10, PL Venom 2 16m, PL Venom 19m

f0rgiv3n
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-5-2010 at 07:19 AM

Thanks arkay. I'm thinking the 4/3 probably will be a good idea. Where does the extra flotation come from? The wetsuit or the impact vest?

I'll look into the xcel x-zip and o'neil. water helmet is a good idea as well :D. Thanks again

Dakine Pyro Harness
And always a helmet
My Kiting Blog
ikemiester

Mood: SPEED 3 19M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[*] posted on 4-5-2010 at 03:54 PM

Wetsuit will provide some flotation because it is less dense than water. Xcel, O'neil, rip curl, hotline, patagonia, quiksilver, and body glove are all good wetsuit brands... If I were to pick tops it would be xcel patagonia and rip curl, but that's just my 2 cents

Kiteboarding Team Rider
http://www.cleanlinesurf.com/

Looking For:
cheap old c kites in good shape

What I Fly:
Flysurfer Speed 3 19m, Switch Legacy2 12 and 9m, Radsail Sport 5m, HQ Beamer 1.8m

What I Ride:
mbs core 90, Cabrinha Rival 145, Cabrinha Ace 133

Go big or go home!
1920 Club

https://www.youtube.com/user/rydmiester

Established 1992, Flying multi-lines since 2001
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 4-5-2010 at 03:57 PM

Lessons ?

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
clintopher

[*] posted on 4-5-2010 at 04:18 PM

I use a Neil Pryde high hook float vest. I've been in a couple of predicaments that could have gotten pretty harry if I hadn't had my vest on. Suffice it to say, I won't kite without it. I wear a seat harness and it doesn't get in the way at all. I've never worn a waist harness so I can't answer to how it would work with that. The bottom of the vest sits about midway between my belly button and my sternum.

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=ac...

Flysurfer Speed 2 15m
Wainman Boss
Wainman Smoke
HQ Rush 250
Flysurfer Flyradical L
f0rgiv3n
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 5-5-2010 at 10:19 AM

Right on that definitely gives me something to go on. Blade, I've got a few friends here that are going to show me the ropes. I'll look into a float vest just cuz, thanks again!

Dakine Pyro Harness
And always a helmet
My Kiting Blog

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio