Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NEWBIE---help me
livio

[*] posted on 18-7-2005 at 08:31 AM
NEWBIE---help me

yesterday night, while i was studying for my last exam,i've taken a break and browsing the web i've found the site www.doomwheels.com....ahaha simply fantastic! i thought...i use to skate in-line since years...but i've never heard about...using kite traction!!!

my only question is: i've found this kite on ebay and i've already bought it...it's a parafoil 1,7 m long... is a 2-line type (even if i dont really know the difference from the 4-line yet...sorry i had the exam this morning and even if i had in mind only kite i could not read nothing about....) so... what do u suggest me to check in the kite....
are there some features i must pretend or not?
sorry for ignorance and thanx for help!!!

[img]c:windowsdesktop011.jpg[/img]

p.s. as i will build my own doomwheels i'll post the pics!! yahoo!:cool:
Bill_Benson

Mood: Looking forward to DBBB

[*] posted on 18-7-2005 at 12:11 PM

I hope I won't be a bummer when I tell you this cause I do have some good news for you too.

You didn't specify what kite you bought exactly but from your limited description I imagine it is more of a stunt foil, maybe you can clarify.

The bad news first: from what you indicated it probably is too small to really get you going on skates unless you are on asphalt or a really smooth packed beach and the winds are quite strong. (maybe +25 mph range)

The good news is dual line stunters are perfect to learn on and should be your first stepping stone up to higher performance kites. Get the hang of this one and then look into a 2.5 or 3.5 meter and then move up from there.

As far as flying dual line kites, pretty straightforward,... but it does help to have a buddy assist you on launching or have a weighted object to place on the trailing edge to hold the kite in postion for launch. When you move up to four lines you don't need to worry about this because you can reverse launch.

Good luck, be safe, be patient and have fun.

Bill Benson
livio

[*] posted on 18-7-2005 at 03:34 PM

oh #@%$#!! this evening i've checked on the web and i've found documentation about power kites....yes....i've found out it's too small for me....i'm tall 1,90 meters and my weight is 75 kg....and i don't wanna ride on concrete!:megan:

so ... i don't care about a negatice feedback on e-bay...do u suggest me to refuse it or it shall be a "not-so-bad starting point2 for me? i've paid it 22 GBP , something like 30 euros...or maybe 40 american dollars...i dont know exactly the change..... i know that the weaker is the wind the larger the kite has to be....but i'm asking to me now: has this kite any chance to pull me forward or not? :evil:

thanks for the attention...i'm really possessed by this thing, i have to try!!!
have u ever heard about something in italy about that? i don't know if there are some "dummies" of kite-skating in italy too, i've looked for a while about it but without results...

ok ok....now i've to organize better my ideas....thanx,bye!!
livio

[*] posted on 18-7-2005 at 03:57 PM

this is the kite i won: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=59878...

this is a kite i'm "watching" on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=59877...

what's better?
thanks for patience :) i'm just a newbie and i don't want to buy garbage-bags ok?:flaming:
Bill_Benson

Mood: Looking forward to DBBB

[*] posted on 18-7-2005 at 06:54 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't buy either. Both are cheap knock-offs.

I think you will have much more luck with these if you want to go eBay:

Beamer 2.5

Radsail 2.4

PKD Buster 2.0

The Buster is the least expensive but a good kite. I would probably go with the Beamer or Buster. The Rads are made out of a weird polyester material.

A 2.5 and 5.0 will get you out in a pretty wide variety of conditions and make a good 2 kite quiver. But I would learn on a 2.5 and grab a 5 later on.

Bill Benson
livio

[*] posted on 19-7-2005 at 05:22 PM

thanks i've checked them...i'm still deciding what to buy
i'm just wondering.... if there'enough space for me in my country to travel with a kite...what's the best fitting field extention for this kind of things?
does a soccer field fit for me? a parking place?
i can't find a desert....even if i would :)
Mouse

[*] posted on 20-7-2005 at 07:52 AM

My first power-kite was a Beamer 1.8 and it was a good kite to learn on for me and my g/f. Believe it or not on windier days when i'm wheeling some of the local soccer fields and am in a "lazy just wanna cruise mood' i've used the 1.8 but that's pretty rare because it's usually on the small side to get good constant speed out of. On really really windy days i've even been able to catch some air with the little bugger. :smilegrin:

If you have any large open parks or ballfield areas they might work for you. When you start flying your kite you'll get a bit more of a feel on how large of an area you might need and you'll learn really quickly where consistant wind is at. I'm not sure if you have any farmland where you're at but that might be an option as well...I have some farmers who grow the right crop who let me use their fields in the summer which gives me acres and acres of openness.

Good Times!

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio