Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tired and sunburned
shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

Mood: low winds here I come

[*] posted on 13-6-2010 at 08:39 PM
Tired and sunburned

Had a fantastic day hanging out at the lake today. Winds were South anywhere from 12 to 17 mph took the Scorpion out for a try. Got my stuff on and into the water by 11 O'clock clear skies and hot sun beating down. I made many attempts to ride but being forced to ride switch of the start made things next to impossible. Fought for about 3 hours to ride and only made it about 50yards before sinking. Spent the rest of the day enjoying the sun, roasting some hot dogs, and drinking back a few. Ended off with some small static jumps before packing up. Got a real real bad sunburn all over but all in all had an awesome day hanging out with the family. Seems like it's gonna take me a while before I get the hang of this water thing.:wee:

Shaggs

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
152cm lib tech skate banana
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-6-2010 at 08:44 PM

Sounds like a great day! Don't think you got enough power for the Scorp though ... that's like 10 knots, yeah?
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mx5alan/arcs/wind_range.htm

Man ... sunburn - don't talk to me about sunburn!
Back in 2001 I spent 4 hours trying to windsurf in no wind without sunblock and got mega-burn across my back, shoulders and upper arms. The first few days were hell ... then my skin blistered. That was pretty bad but when the blisters burst and my t-shirt stuck to the new, raw skin underneath, every jiggle and bump of the plane and train home was murder.
I'm retarded careful about sunburn now ... haven't been burned any worse than a pink driving arm since then.

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
stetson05
Posting Freak

Mood: wanted: wind please

[*] posted on 13-6-2010 at 08:55 PM

@Shaggs, So what if you haven't gotten a long ride yet, at least you are doing it. I keep trying to get out on water and haven't had any luck yet. Keep trying!

Pink driving arm. Yeah I've had that a couple of times. Don't really think about it till you get to the destination

US40
HQ 1.4m which my 8 and 10 year old fly
Pansh Flux 2m, Legend 3m,
HQ Hydra 300 PZ depower, Neo 8m, 11m
Flysurfer S3 Deluxe 19m, S2 15m
Flexboardz Haize
Radbuggy
SIMS snowboard
Crazy Fly 145
shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-6-2010 at 09:02 PM

Yeah I'm definitely not that burnt Kami!! Yeah according to the calculator I was just at the very bottom of the scale for the 16m Scorpion. I definitely think that with the right skills I could have been up and riding though. One of the biggest issues I found today was that when I would get pulled up and going I was slowing down too much by the time the kite was completed the next sine to get speed up. Oh well at least I know now how much salty lake water I can drink :D.

I keep forgetting to take pictures of the lake though. Nice and secluded where not too many people know about it. We actually have to follow a cattle trail through a farmers pasture land. Got permission from him as long as we don't let his cows out. Part of a channel of salt lakes that are in the area and it's nice and shallow for quite a ways out. I'll try to get pics the next time I'm out.

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-6-2010 at 09:04 PM

Yeah my buddy has been at it for three years and this is the year he's really pulling it off good. Definitely not giving up that's for sure.
Quote:
Originally posted by stetson05
@Shaggs, So what if you haven't gotten a long ride yet, at least you are doing it. I keep trying to get out on water and haven't had any luck yet. Keep trying!

Pink driving arm. Yeah I've had that a couple of times. Don't really think about it till you get to the destination

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 13-6-2010 at 09:50 PM

The arcs work best in their upper 2/3s wind range, apparently ... certainly easier to have too much power. You might need a bigger board too ...? Like I said in my thread, it's like dialing in the V-hold on an old TV or tracking on a VCR - oscillating either side of success until you get it just right :D
Hang in there!
I like the idea of BBQ & beer though :lol:

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
WolfWolfee

Mood: Blessed with Wind

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 02:14 AM

Got to agree with Cam , 10 mph is not enough for the Scorpion you were fighting a losing battle. !5 Mph or leave it it the bag. 25 mph and hold on. You'll have to give my Sabre a try one day it will pull in 10's and hauls a** in 15's and up. You white boys burn to easy, us black Irish just get browner...lol

3M Legend
4.9M Reactor
9.5M Sabre
16M Scorpion
18M Guerilla
Flexi Bug & 661 Armor & Giro Helmet
borntofli

Mood: Can\'t get enough kiting

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 04:15 AM

Keep at it, a little more wind does wonders..... If I can do it, anyone can do it....Maybe you need a synergy 15 that I may have an extra one of.........lol

Good luck !!!

Ocean Rodeo Rise 12
Ozone C4 10
Slingshot Octane 7
Flysurfer speed 2 15 SA

Rollersurfer (for sale)
6\'2\" Slingshot SST
Slingshot fuse
Brokite 134 freeride
Ocean Rodeo mako 140

shaggs2riches
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfWolfee
Got to agree with Cam , 10 mph is not enough for the Scorpion you were fighting a losing battle. !5 Mph or leave it it the bag. 25 mph and hold on. You'll have to give my Sabre a try one day it will pull in 10's and hauls a** in 15's and up. You white boys burn to easy, us black Irish just get browner...lol

Yeah the wind was around 15 on average and peaking at 17mph. But suddenly the wind would drop to 12mph (read over 15minutes on wind meter). I think that I'm just gonna have to get the skills dialed in. Switch just doesn't seem to work as well as on land. Oh well gonna giver' a try next weekend if the wind is right.

what I fly/ride:
19m Flysurfer Speed 2 SA
12m Flysurfer Speed2
6m Ozone access xt
1.5m Ozone imp trainer
144cm Airush Switch
MBS Pro 90
Jereme Leafe Pro 95
ragden
Posting Freak

Mood: ready to ride...

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 06:46 AM

Keep at it dude. Just getting out on the water flying a kite and trying to get up is a step in the right direction. Sounds you like you were definitely pushing the low end of that kite though. I can ride in 10mph of wind with my 15 and a BIG board, and if the wind drops down to 9, I'm pretty much done. Not surprising you were having issues.

You'll get it, just takes some time and practice. :)

Flysurfer Speed 3 15m DELUXE
Flysurfer Speed 3 12m
Flysurfer Psycho4 8m
Peter Lynn Buggy
Twisted Velocity (164)
Spleene (Monster) Door 164x50 (for sale?)
FlyDoor XL (2013)
2011 Spleene RS 132
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 14-6-2010 at 07:30 AM

sounds like you needed a bit more grunt.............dont start thinking upwind before you plane up and set an edge................also during the initial excitement check you bar position and make sure your not sheeted in too far..................let the kite pull you, gain some speed/plane, set an edge (pressure on your rear heel/foot) then turn upwind..............sounds like your right about ready:thumbup::thumbup:

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio