Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: kite surf motavation.... need help
highazakite

Mood: optimisticly waiting for \"good\" wind

[*] posted on 16-7-2010 at 06:06 PM
kite surf motavation.... need help

i find myself in a catch 22
i want to spend the cash to get a lesson or 2 to get started but the current budget keeps getting smaller (econ in my small town seems to just barely get by)..
Ive often thought about just going out and giving it the old fashioned college try and see if i can make it happen. im hindered by an over full lake (nowhere to safely launch) and the ocean just seems scary every time i go to the beach (surf is bigger than me when wind is up).
any way if any one has some inspiring words or advice to help me crack my self imposed hurdles id like to crack this nut.

HQ Hydra 350
HQ Neo 11m
PL Venom 2 13m
GoProHD
stunt kites prism quantum and a smaller one
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 16-7-2010 at 06:16 PM

There's NOWHERE on the lake to launch? :( how about a drift launch?

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
highazakite

[*] posted on 16-7-2010 at 06:46 PM

ive got a kayak and ive circled the entire thing and yea i could launch about 30-50 feet from shore maybe ... there is a large wind shadow of the trees all around it. ive got a neo 2 11m.. not sure how easy it would be to drift launch... i was thinking of using some sort of preinflater to try not sure how well it would work on the neo.

HQ Hydra 350
HQ Neo 11m
PL Venom 2 13m
GoProHD
borntofli

Mood: Can\'t get enough kiting

[*] posted on 16-7-2010 at 07:08 PM

I'm learning in the gulf and its no easy process.... But its not that bad once you get your feet wet... I go out in waist deep water, waves crashing on me waiting for a little lull... When you see an opportunity get the board on your feet and try to start....

Sometimes the wave get you before you have the kite in position, but then try again... At first i'd stand there for 5 minutes at a time waiting for a lull, but then i'd get up and go alittle and that was all the incentive i needed to keep trying....

The whole time your out there is not time wasted, your handling the kite, messing w/ the board and fighting the waves...... After a while its no big deal.....

I've stood out there for hours looking like an idiot, but now I can get up and go, turn around somewhat and really like kiting in the waves... I've never been in flatwater...

What I'm trying to say is if you have the opportunity to go out, go... Be safe and take baby steps.... It's better than sitting at home wishing you were out there.... The learning curve is longer in the waves, but its fun and those few moments of success will keep that passion burning for more....

Didnt mean to write a book, but i'm old (50) and if I can do it so can you !!!

There's your encouraging words, now go out and DO IT !!!!!!!

Good luck, Its addicting as he ll

Ocean Rodeo Rise 12
Ozone C4 10
Slingshot Octane 7
Flysurfer speed 2 15 SA

Rollersurfer (for sale)
6\'2\" Slingshot SST
Slingshot fuse
Brokite 134 freeride
Ocean Rodeo mako 140

highazakite

[*] posted on 16-7-2010 at 08:04 PM

ty born you made me smile.
im glad ya wrote a book, good words and very inspirational..

HQ Hydra 350
HQ Neo 11m
PL Venom 2 13m
GoProHD
erratic winds
Posting Freak

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 16-7-2010 at 08:47 PM

high-do you have any local kite people at all? A kite buddy? A guy you met once and talked about kites? Your friends can provided needed inspiration. I wish I could give you advice about water, but I only deal with the frozen stuff.
Are you at all interested in kitebuggy or kiteATB? Do you have shoreline that would facilitate it? Buggy&ATB are not magically easier than kitesurf, but you can always crash the kite, pack it up, and walk back....which is a fair bit tougher when you have to swim in first.

Know that you've already cleared the greatest hurdle, getting the kite(s). Now you've got them, soon enough they'll get you, and you'll be off into the sunset together.

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.
djsquare1

Mood: Happy :)

[*] posted on 17-7-2010 at 10:25 AM

I recommend lessons, although I have never taken one. I self tought myself with help from this forum and practicing on land first. Another good way is to find a buddy, or offer someone experienced cash for an hour of their time. It's cheaper than a lesson.

If you have nowhere safe to launch, set the kite up, drag it to the water, swim out where there is no obstructions, then launch your kite from there. I usually body drag a good distance out, than start trying to get up. This way if the kite takes me down wind I wont hit anything or anyone.

In the bag:

-Rrd Type IV 8
-Liquid Force Assault 6
-Pansh Blaze 10 (Traded)
-Prism and other stunt kites.
AD72
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-7-2010 at 01:17 PM

Take a lesson. You have some good kites for body dragging. A water lesson will start there. It is an important skill to get back to your board that you will always need. Make sure you have others around when you are on the water. I am taking lessons in in the Sacramento River Delta with Kitopia. The instructor follows me on a jetski and I wear a helmet radio. I took a lesson at the beginning of the season and then did a bunch of my own time at Alameda Beach where it is shallow working on board starts. Once I got the board water-starts consistent I went back for another lesson in the Delta and got some good time in and some decent turns and had a eureka day. I did a mile down-winder on my own (with other kiters around) on Thursday. I am still definitely a novice and crash but every time I go out I gain just a little bit more experience. Stick with it. It will be frustrating but rewarding. The Progression beginner video I got from Dakitez helped in combination with doing it and lessons. Also hanging out with the local kitesurfers has been great.

Oh yeah, make sure you have a good wetsuit so being cold is a non-issue. Hope that helps.
highazakite

[*] posted on 17-7-2010 at 01:42 PM

@ ad72 no kiter friends as far inland and north as i am , im kind of a novelty at the local soccer field.
my daughter puts up with me draging her out to fly kites and even has fun doing it weather she likes to admit it or not.
like you i got a dvd kite surf progressions and have watched it about 4 or 5 times.
how much are the lessons down south where your at (bout a 2-3 hour drive so its not completely outta the picture) like i originally posted i planed to take lessons first but just dont want to starve the kid and i to do it.
and yea i got what i hope is a good wetsuit for around here, i got and oneil mutant 5/4.
thanks again all i need to make this a can do attitude instead of putting it off for better circumstances.

HQ Hydra 350
HQ Neo 11m
PL Venom 2 13m
GoProHD
Hardrock

[*] posted on 17-7-2010 at 02:42 PM

I think you'll overcome lots the first time in the water. I hope I do. Like tomorrow.

Wind in the forecast, the boat is hitched, pile of stuff in the floor and she is making a beer run as I type. :lol:

PL V19m, P15m, V13m
Ace 7M (FOR SALE) 130.00 plus ship. RTF
Ace 5M
Beamer 5m, 3m
Hydra 350
P3 and a few smaller kites
Flexifoil Buggy, E-Trex Legend
LF Proof 151,,,GI Flight93 ATB
stetson05
Posting Freak

Mood: wanted: wind please

[*] posted on 17-7-2010 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by highazakite
i find myself in a catch 22
i want to spend the cash to get a lesson or 2 to get started but the current budget keeps getting smaller (econ in my small town seems to just barely get by)..
Ive often thought about just going out and giving it the old fashioned college try and see if i can make it happen. im hindered by an over full lake (nowhere to safely launch) and the ocean just seems scary every time i go to the beach (surf is bigger than me when wind is up).
any way if any one has some inspiring words or advice to help me crack my self imposed hurdles id like to crack this nut.

I am in the exact same boat, needing motivation and running out of excuses. Thanks for the post cause I really want to go out but have been nervous. I tried once and launched off the bank 40ft (measured it later) and since then have been more hesitant. I just need to jump in, safely, but do it.

US40
HQ 1.4m which my 8 and 10 year old fly
Pansh Flux 2m, Legend 3m,
HQ Hydra 300 PZ depower, Neo 8m, 11m
Flysurfer S3 Deluxe 19m, S2 15m
Flexboardz Haize
Radbuggy
SIMS snowboard
Crazy Fly 145
tridude
Posting Freak

Mood: Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat................alwayz in the crap but the depth varys.........

[*] posted on 17-7-2010 at 05:26 PM

are u close to Powerzone.........................set up an appointment with him and go for it............................water relaunch, body drag, self rescue and boared starts.......................forum member Power was up in less than 2 hrs his first time out with the same receipe.............................

Kitesurfer Beamerbob (no longer Bearmerbodydrag) pretty much the same time frame.....

commit and go for it,good luck

17m Ozone Zephyr (2012)
15m Flysurfer Silver Arrow 2
12m Ozone Catalyst (2013)
10m Ozone Catalyst (2012)
MTH Colonel Reb customs 160x45 carbon, 141x43 wood
Wainman Joke & Demitri Pro
11'6 Naish Nalu
6' Davo Fish
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-7-2010 at 05:50 PM

Yeah, nerves were my problem going out alone the first few times too ... what if I screw up? wreck my gear? get stranded? meh, there's not enough wind anyway - I'll go another day :no:
Lessons gave me the confidence in my water-craft & kite skills to DIY then it's just a matter of SUCKING IT UP, SISSY MAN! :D

... you can get out through big surf - in the Wash-out video I had to walk then body drag out through 2 to 4 meter waves :o you float right up the big ones though ... usually :D just make sure the board doesn't bounce back off a wave into your face!

Hardrock

[*] posted on 18-7-2010 at 12:41 AM

well I thought I had the nerves under control but here it is 3:30am and I can't sleep a wink. Just like Kami said, all the what if's running thru my mind.

Just got up and made a board leash, just in case. I think I'll get the launch, but going back to the boat like I planned may be trouble. Set up to park the kite tied to the boat while I regroup, but not sure, depends on wind speed, but I want to get the board. Guess she could bring it but I see problems there also.

Also, hot launch 27m right towards the boat, could be tricky.

Thinking about wearing fins for the launch, I'd be quicker in the water. Had them on with the hydra once, made a world of difference. Hows the winder gona do in the water?

Talk about sissy man. :D I'll learn alot in a few hours if I don't chicken out.

PL V19m, P15m, V13m
Ace 7M (FOR SALE) 130.00 plus ship. RTF
Ace 5M
Beamer 5m, 3m
Hydra 350
P3 and a few smaller kites
Flexifoil Buggy, E-Trex Legend
LF Proof 151,,,GI Flight93 ATB
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 18-7-2010 at 03:00 AM

... and the more you do it, the more confident you get :)

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio