Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reflex 2m
Scudley
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 22-7-2010 at 10:09 PM
Reflex 2m

Last Monday we had a bit of a wind storm pass through Vancouver. Seeing as it was the first time we have had better than 15 kt wind since I got my 2m Reflex, I had to head out to GP to check it out. I arrived to 20 kts W gusting to 30, big white caps on the mouth of the Fraser.
Sky Country made 6 2m Reflexes at our request after finding the wind at NABX was too much for even my 2.7 Vampir. The designer said a 2m would be very fast, but provide too little power to be fun. He was wrong. I had blast.
There was not a soul in the park when I arrived. I started flying. The first thing I noticed was how fast I was going for so little pull on my arms. Looping the kite made things even faster, but still no feeling of being yarded out the buggy. Next tack I continuously loop the kite over and and under. Kite control was amazingly precise and predictable. The predictability was important as the Reflex 2m is very fast: a quick tug on a break and the kite is going the other way. Soon I am doing up wind turns and backwards jibes.
After three hours the wind was slowing down and single liners were showing up: time to go.
I have no idea what the top end wind is for this kite. Even when slammed by a 30 kt gust, I never had any felling of being overpowered or not having complete control of the kite.
I am really looking forward to flying this at Ivanpah.
I should probably add that I will not be using this kite in any attempt
The kite is made in the Ukraine by Sky Country (Paragliders & kites) from a combination of Gelvenor and Skytex. The aspect ratio, the same as for all Reflex sizes, is 5.1. The cell openings are covered with an ultra-fine porous mesh. The mesh does two things: maintains the shape of the leading edge; keeps snow, sand and other debris out of the kite.
The kite is not cheap, but this is not a kid's toy*. Gelvenor and Skytex are not ripstop. The materials and workmanship are top notch, as to be expected from an aeronautics company.

S
Marketing Commissar (kites)
Sky Country Canada

*Tonka will argue it makes a great kid's toy. It is probably a great kid's toy if you can convince your wife that the kite really was for your child and not for you when it is blowing 30+.

Is it possible to design for strength, if the designer doesn't really understand what strength is?
8m speed wings.
Ozone Samurai 3m
Sky Country Reflex 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10m new 6m!
Sky Country NaSCa 2 11m
Sky Country Alasca 10m - sold
Rhombus Firebee 3m (ret).
Libre Vampir Race Pro 2.6m
Jojo Rage 8m

www.skycountry.ca
RonH

Mood: Missing Sunset Beach

[*] posted on 23-7-2010 at 08:47 AM

I had a chance to fly the kite yesterday...

I looked like a total noob for a few seconds. Way too much input on the brakes and it's spinning like a windmill. We could name the kite "twitch".

Anyways, I get going in 17kts wind and you have to sine the kite to make any power. Like Scudley said, no side pull but i did get going at a decent speed for our little park. I would think 25kts is where this little beast would be happy.

Had fun with it, looking forward to a little more wind to see how it does without having to work it to get going.

Ron

PL reactor 2013 2.8

PL XR+
Home-brew buggy

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio