Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flexifoil Blade V 6.5 & Crossfire II 6.5
Gerryt

[*] posted on 8-8-2010 at 09:42 PM
Flexifoil Blade V 6.5 & Crossfire II 6.5

I'm fairly new to power kiting having just got my first power kite a few months ago, a Crossfire II 6.5. I have also been flying a Rush Pro 350 and recently bought a used Flexifoil Blade V 6.5 from another member here. My only other kite experience has been twenty years flying stunt kites including a Revolution.

Having flown the Crossfire II 6.5 before the Blade V 6.5 I probably have a deeper appreciation for what is clearly the Blade's superior design and performance. It was the temperamental nature of the Crossfire and its habit of collapsing anytime after I jumped that prompted me to buy the Blade. I know a better pilot could get more performance out of the Crossfire but if I had to do it over I would have bought the Blade first.

These are my observations -
The Blade has 8 more cells than the Crossfire and the entire leading edge is open to catching more air and filling the kite more easily than the Crossfire. I feel the higher air pressure inside the Blade contributes to it's resistance to collapse.

The bridle on the Blade is longer than the Crossfire's, I think this allows the Blade to retain a flatter curved airfoil. The bridle on the Crossfire appears to pull in the ends of the kite which are already not firmly inflated further contributing to its tendency to collapse in less than ideal wind and ideal position in the wind window.

The Blade is a foot wider and has a higher profile than the Crossfire, it is also heavier than the Crossfire and seems to need more wind to get launched even on it's light wind bridle setting.

The Blade is clearly stronger in lifting and overall power, both static and dynamic. I also feel the Blade is safer (yes, I really think this). My reasoning is - since the Blade is a stronger lifting kite I can fly it higher in the window getting more lift and less forward pull. I have only flown it on its lightest bridle setting but I felt confident with the Blade in winds close to 10mph. I can't say this about the Crossfire. In higher winds where the penalty for error is more extreme the Crossfire was scary because it would sometimes behave unpredictably, partially collapse then open in the power zone trying to scrape me along the ground like a tomato on a cheese grater (paints a pretty picture doesn't it?)

The Blade V is very responsive, turns fast compared to the Crossfire and the brakes actually work in backing it up. When I put the brakes on the Crossfire to fly backwards it would have to think about it for awhile before it started to move backwards.

One last thing - I can fly the Blade to the edge of the window and hold it there with confidence it will not collapse. If you fly the Crossfire anywhere near the edge it could collapse at any time without warning.

I'm looking forward to many fun flying sessions with the Blade and even though it gives me more confidence I will treat it with the utmost respect. It is very powerful and lifts my 210 lb. frame with authority but also floats me down fairly gently.

I'd recommend the Blade V for anyone who wants the best in control, power and stability.

DAKITEZ
Posting Freak

Mood: Go Fly A Kite!

[*] posted on 8-8-2010 at 11:08 PM

Good review!

I have also flown both and I agree with you on all points :thumbup: The blade V was a good kite, but the IV was a bit better. Nothing major just subtle differences. I understand Flexi is re-working the V ( I'm guessing we can call it the Blade V.2 ) and I look forward to what they come up with.

If you get the opportunity to fly a Peter Lynn Twister I would love to hear your thoughts on it and you could add it to your review.
Gerryt

[*] posted on 9-8-2010 at 05:54 AM

I should correct something I said in my previous post.

Instead of saying, "The Blade is a foot wider and has a higher profile than the Crossfire..."

I meant to say, "The Blade is a foot wider and has a higher aspect ratio profile than the Crossfire..."

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio