Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: GrassSki-Kiting
Terrablader

[*] posted on 5-9-2005 at 04:41 PM
GrassSki-Kiting

http://www.grasski.com/application/kite.php

Good times on grass skis. This guy makes awsome grass skis.

Rich

maker of the Terrablade 8 wheel off road skate

www.terrablades.com
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

Mood: Slap happy!

[*] posted on 6-9-2005 at 02:43 AM

Too sloooooooooow! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Trying a pair of these in the early '90s is what led me to use big wheels.
It's also very hard to come upwind on these. Can be done, but takes a long time.

Terrablader

[*] posted on 13-10-2005 at 03:23 PM
speeed

looks like he is moving along. a racing grass ski can move really quick. what is too slow anything under 20?

must be wild to go at 50mph!

"coming up wind was hard on these things" i wonder if my 8 wheel skates have the same problem on beach sand seems Very hard to go up wind VERY!
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

[*] posted on 16-10-2005 at 11:50 PM

35mph is a nice mellow cruising speed in open areas. 20 is better for soccer fields. I commonly hit 50 on a dry lake and have been as fast as 65 in my younger days lol. Once, while pulled by a car on the Bonneville Speedway, I hit 75 and felt comfortable, but I strongly recomment against doing this.

Kiteskating on the beach is much slower than hard surfaces. 15 - 30 mph is a good range. Although it is harder to come upwind on sand, you should be able to come up easy enough on the hard pack by the surf. If not, it could be just a matter of experience or possibly the nature of your skates. I'd have to try them myself to know that for sure.

But if buggies can do it, you can too. Kiteskates can go anywhere a buggy can go.

Terrablader

[*] posted on 17-10-2005 at 10:01 PM

hum what would be the main features that would cause a skate to be harder to go upwind? resistance? and friction in the wheels?
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

[*] posted on 18-10-2005 at 01:16 AM

Although I have no science to back it, my opinion is wheel diameter and placement of the boot between the axles are primary factors. Both result in traction as applied against the pull of a kite. The further you are able to lean against the kite, the more power you can transfer to your wheels. I remember my early prototypes with small wheels left me standing vertically, travelling at slow speed and zig-zagging downwind.

Of course, wind/terrain conditions, kite size and pilot experience are also very important factors. Sand is the slowest of all surfaces... Knowing where to place the kite near the edge of the wind window according to your speed and direction to get optimal power... Large kites offer more stable power... These are all contributing bits of knowledge that affect your ride.

IMO, the beach is the most challenging place to learn to kiteskate. Soccer fields are better, but if you really want a great testing ground, head to a desert dry lake. It may be a bit of a drive, but this is the perfect setting and I fly half way around the world each year for just that.

Zenon

[*] posted on 21-5-2006 at 05:36 PM

Quote:

But if buggies can do it, you can too. Kiteskates can go anywhere a buggy can go.

I beg to differ on this point. Myself and two mates love to cruise in the soft sand of the sandhills over all the grassy crap we have and in and out of holes. Have you done that on your kite skates. Could you do that on your kite skates.

Note: I am not against kite skates as i plan on makin gmy own pair for when i get bored of the buggy.
Also is there anyone that you now has a pari of kite skates in New Zealand?
doomwheels
Grand Pubah

[*] posted on 22-5-2006 at 01:44 AM

>Could you do that on your kite skates.

Dunno... I've never tried. But you're right... kiteskates are not well suited for soft sand (although I have not tried my big-wheeled skates in soft sand yet - we'll see).

>is there anyone that you now has a pari of kite skates in New Zealand?

Not sure. Who knows... you may be the first!

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio