Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Post hurricane kiting
borntofli

Mood: Can\'t get enough kiting

[*] posted on 8-9-2010 at 04:59 AM
Post hurricane kiting

A wild fun day in the raging surf....Winds 25 - 30kts and gusty..Just a few degrees off of straight onshore...First time out w/ the Ocean Rodeo Rise 8..

Took a while to get used to it, quick and sheeting sensitive...Could have been the gusty conditions...Trying to get out thru the surf was a bit of a challenge... Tried mostly to keep the kite high, jump over the smaller waves and try to avoid the big ones...

Getting over the big ones resulted in either a big air(for me), or getting rolled in the surf...As I got farther out I got less aggressive. (definately dont want to dump the kite in the big stuff)

Coming in was a blast, surfing the wave in.. The rise seems great for that, just follows you along while you do your thing..

Gave the kite a good durabilily test, dumped it 3 times..Mostly because I was rolling around under the wave... It got folded over, completely submerged in the whitewater but popped back up and relaunched everytime..... This was my first time relaunching a tube in the water...

Biggest problem was as it gets its shape back and ready to fly, the water needs to drain from the bottom before it can fly...I would get it just about off the water and the next wave crashes down on top of it and have to start all over.... Any quick solutions here??????

Had a good time and didn't get hurt....

The journey continues......................

Ocean Rodeo Rise 12
Ozone C4 10
Slingshot Octane 7
Flysurfer speed 2 15 SA

Rollersurfer (for sale)
6\'2\" Slingshot SST
Slingshot fuse
Brokite 134 freeride
Ocean Rodeo mako 140

PHREERIDER
Posting Freak

Mood: chilled....but ready to SAIL!

[*] posted on 8-9-2010 at 05:21 AM

very exciting rides for sure,

getting smacked in the break with current is a tough relaunch. the water has to drain! no quicky on that, just don't drop the kite. stay oriented, keep the lines tight and get up asap

def keep the kite high, it helps with speed control and you can pop up right before big waves. once you get flowing on the rollers drop it lower and stay at the edge and up wind, which should be hard not to do or your GOING FOR A ROUGH HI speed ride down wind with building speed.

TEAM RIDER for Coastal Wind Sports

http://www.coastalwindsports.com/

VIDEOS for your entertainment while you wait.

http://vimeo.com/user4948152/videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/goldendmd?feature=mhsn
dylanj423
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 8-9-2010 at 05:59 AM

glad you had fun and stayed safe... i went out on monday for the pre-storm... biggest waves i have ever seen here... cresting at head-high... winds were between 20-27 or so most of the morning monday...

had a lot of fun, but definitely drank more of the ocean that im used to... packed up right before it got out of control... also, broke in the 12m phantom for its first real flight since i have owned it... its gonna be a lot of fun...

yesterday was out of the question, though... it gusted into the 40's and 50's here with 9 ft waves.... im just not ready for that kind of stuff yet....

WHAT I FLY:
Flysurfer Soul v2 12m, Soul 15m, Soul v2 21m

Flexi Rage 1.8m, Jojo RM 3m, Flexi Blurr 3.5, Flexi Blade 4.0m, Flexi Blade 4.9m, Flexi Blurr 5, Jojo RM 6m

WHAT I RIDE:
Kite Skates, Libre Full Race, GI Conflict 106, OR Mako 140, Spleene Door 159

What I Am In The Market For: Peter Lynn Vapors, Weatherproof Kite Buggy Bag for Libre, PL or Flexi Small Buggy to Tow With, Flexi Pro Link Handles, Flexi Lines, Flexi Kite Killers

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio