Power Kite Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Schaumburg Forest Preserve -This is a kite, not a gun!
Chicagokitejumping

exclamation.gif posted on 22-9-2010 at 10:53 AM
Schaumburg Forest Preserve -This is a kite, not a gun!

My friend and I were at the Ned Brown Meadows Forest Preserve in Schaumburg with our power kites in August.

We had gotten permission from the park superintendant to fly our kites there, but it seems the Forest Preserve police have their own laws.
We got 2 tickets for unlawfully flying kites in the park. The police was super agressive and rude, and told us the leave the park and was illegal to fly a kite. The ticket was issued for unlawfully flying kites attached to a board. He used a code that doesn't even refer to kites, but is for parachutes, and air balloons. He told us the sign the ticket or he was going to put us in jail for the weekend.
One of the best criminal attorneys from Chicago, who is also my friend, and likes kiting, represented us in court.
WE WON! My attorney cross examined the police officer and he was lieing the whole time. The judge said to the police that this is a Kite, not a gun and your interpretation is wrong. There is no violation for this since this is Not a parachute or air balloon. When we got to court, the cop tried to change the ticket saying disobedience which was completely a lie and my lawyer told him that was illegal.
In the end it's pretty outragious that we can't be allowed to enjoy a sport in a park that doesn't hurt anyone, is good for the environment, and especially is no danger to anyone since the park was empty. These cops are just there to harrass and make money.

Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus 12
Peter Lynn Charger 12.0
Blokart V3
Neo 11.0
Crossfire II 6,5
Beamer 3,6
MBS Pro 95
MBS PRO 90
MBS COMP 90
Ozone Flow 5.0
Ozone Access 8.0 XT
Flysurfer Speed3 Deluxe 12
Flysurfer Unity 12
Montana V- 9.5
Blokart V-3
NAPKA Member US97
erratic winds
Posting Freak

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 22-9-2010 at 11:28 AM

Really glad to hear that you were victorious. I think we have all dealt with employees who didn't care that someone higher up gave the OK?

Any possibility of suing the cop in small claims/civil court to recover your legal expenses? Any possibility of him getting reprimanded by his superiors for making false claims?

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.
shehatesmyhobbies
Posting Freak

Mood: Serious Buggy withdraws!

[*] posted on 22-9-2010 at 04:34 PM

Glad to hear that you guys won your case. It is a shame that something as simple as flying a kite can get you a ticket

Rich
NAPKA President
US 66
www.napka.org

302 480 6008

Phantoms!
My ride: GT Rapide
Check out the Wildwood Buggy Bash Facebook page!
bobalooie57
Posting Freak

Mood: Windy

[*] posted on 23-9-2010 at 05:55 AM

A co-worker told me he read that someone local had just got a couple of tickets for flying a kite at night with lights attached, wanted to know if it was me? I told him that it wasn't, but could have been, as I have been wanting to night fly for some time. Seems that the officer issued the tickets after receiving reports of a UFO! Must have been disappointed that it was only a kite, so issued tix for "Public endangerment"(the kite was visible from a road)and "causing a public nuisance". I guess I'll have to rethink my night flight idea.:(

Team MEAN GREEN

Bob Lussier

OUTLAW KITER
1.4M Beamer III, 2M Beamer IV,2M Toxic HQ , 7.5MApex III, HQ, Quadrifoil XXXL (9.66M), NPW5 2.4,4.8m, NPW9 3.4M(HQ),NPW9 7M (RASTA\'S FURY), NPW9 7.6M (BIG SISTAH),NPW9 12MGREENMONSTER(km4), P L Comp ST buggy,PL Bigfoot+ buggy, Atomic Alibi Snowboard, Protec Knee/Elbow Pads & Helmet, Seirus wristguards, Demon crash shorts, LaCross chest/shoulder pads. (tryin\' to be safe!)
indigo_wolf
Super Administrator

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 23-9-2010 at 06:11 AM

If you are ever out camping out towards Wellsfleet on the Cape there are at least one or two campgrounds that have large open fields. I don't believe they are visible from the road and would probably be great for night flying.

Sadly with exceptions, the folks that are most likely to have ready access to fields for night flying are those attending college where most fields don't have the closed between dusk/dawn restriction.

Night flying locally in to would almost certainly get me cited.

Didn't the CONNECTIKITERS have to sanctioned night flys over the summer?

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-9-2010 at 06:36 AM

Sweet!
Personally, I wouldn't have signed and called his bluff ... considering you already had permission!

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
Chicagokitejumping

[*] posted on 24-9-2010 at 09:24 AM

Some of these so called Micky Mouse Forest Preserve cops in Schaumburg, IL which mostly hang out in their cars napping in the corners at tax payers expense, except when they leave the car for a cigarette break to give tickets to kiters or cyclists. Meanwhile there are druggies hanging out in the park, and these dummies miss that because it would mean a little extra work and possiblly a little danger involved.
So they prefer to justify their job by harrassing people actually doing sports. It's really unbelievable. Since Todd H. Stroger was elected President of Cook County Forest Preserve, there's no freedom in the parks to exercise, low quality unprofessional police who only give out tickets with made up codes that don't even exist. These guys don't know the difference between a parachute and a kite. They say that Kiting is dangerous to the other people in the park. However, they allow Snow mobiling going at high speeds and contaminating the park was gas fumes, and that's not dangerous. Could it be because the Snow Mobilers are Paying????

Peter Lynn Charger 12.0
Blokart V3
Neo 11.0
Crossfire II 6,5
Beamer 3,6
MBS Pro 95
MBS PRO 90
MBS COMP 90
Ozone Flow 5.0
Ozone Access 8.0 XT
Flysurfer Unity 12
Montana V- 9.5
Blokart V-3
NAPKA Member US97
bigkid
Posting Freak

Mood: :-)

[*] posted on 24-9-2010 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicagokitejumping
However, they allow Snow mobiling going at high speeds and contaminating the park was gas fumes, and that's not dangerous. Could it be because the Snow Mobilers are Paying????

We dealt with something along the same line, how fast can a beer belly, smoking rentacop run after a snowmobile going 70 mph?
You just need to be able to out run the guys.:smilegrin:

Appex buggy, Libre hardcore buggies.
Flexboardz. Blokarts.
PKD Century Soulflys. NPW's. Nasa Stars.
A few other less flown oddballs,
Line sets from 10" to 328" or 2m to 100m.
worlds only AQR that works.
North American distributor for PKD.
"Kite Bugging is not an addiction until you try to quit".
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 28-9-2010 at 02:52 AM

Oh how flattering I'm being quoted as a spam :lol:

FrankZ

[*] posted on 17-12-2011 at 02:53 PM

I know this thread is old just wanted say that's great news about Ned Brown Forest Preserve. I've been reading up on the Forest Preserve code and couldn't find anything that explicitly banned snowkiting. Sucks that these cops still try to exercise made up authority.
indigo_wolf
Super Administrator

Mood: Weaned by leopards, raised by wolves...

[*] posted on 17-12-2011 at 03:47 PM

Creative "field" interpretation of the laws is not limited to Preserves.

Federal Law Is Not Selectively Trumped By Local Assumptions... truly.

I got a citation for passing in a no-passing zone and was told that I had passed in a double-line zone which strectched for miles. I went back in daylight, I ran the stretch of road again and counted 5-6 stretches of passing zones in the area I was in. I was behind a car that was doing 10-20 mph below the speed limit, so I was extremely conscious of where the passing zone started as I had patiently been waiting for it. The only way to fight it would have been to take multiple days off from work to fight the ticket. In the end, it got "bargained" down to driving without seatbelts which didn't carry any insurance points, and meant the munincipality got a "donation" from me (even though the original ticket would have results in a larger "donation".

One court I was in a ticket was thrown out because of a signed affidavit from a mechanic that stated the vehicle in question was physically impossible of the speed asserted on the ticket.

It's amazing how many tickets are paid for one way or another because of the time and money involved in fighting them would leave most of us jobless or in trouble at work.

ATB,
Sam

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was 12 - Jesus, does anyone?" - The Body by Stephen King
WELDNGOD
Posting Freak

Mood: Dyin' to go flyin'

[*] posted on 17-12-2011 at 03:58 PM

WAY TO STICK IT TO THE MAN!:thumbup::cool:

WELDNGOD on VIMEO
https://vimeo.com/user2580342

NAPKA US187
PKD
Combat 2.4 / 4.2
Century 1.8 / 5.5
Century II 2.2/2.8/3.5/4.5 /10.0
Brooza IV 3.0 prototype
Buster Soulfly 1.5 / 2.2 (KIA)/ 3.3 (lost at sea)
Buster Soulfly PRO 3.3 / 4.4
Buster (gen 1) 5.5
FLEXIFOIL
Sting 1.7 Punk
Rage 2.5 / 3.5/ 4.7
Revolution 1.5 SLE
17 ply Custom TRAMPA w/ verTIGo trucks
2 homebrew buggies,2 homebrew KYTBYKS,1 homebrew tandem trailer
GOPRO 3 WHITE, 3+ BLACK, HERO5 BLACK
CONTOUR HD
LET YOUR SOULFLY!

RIDER for KOKOPELLI KITER

FrankZ

[*] posted on 15-1-2012 at 10:28 AM

Just wanted to post an updated about Ned Brown Forest Preserve.

I went today to try and snowkite (up to 17 knot winds, with 4 inches of snow... finally!). A cop driving his truck around with a snowmobile trailer came up to me and said Kiting is not allowed.

He also said there is an ordinance against it, but when I asked what's the ordinance number and that I checked the ordinance code, he reneged on that statement. Then he said it's an unauthorized sport, its not allowed anywhere on Forest Preserve property. His cop number is 369, and his name is "Mel" I think, but he mumbled his name so I can't be sure.

Anyone else have trouble lately? Anyone get permission from the commissioner or other FP staff to snowkite? Their administration's office is closed today so I can't check.
wheresthewind?

[*] posted on 15-1-2012 at 11:09 AM

not in your area, but the cops in some municipalities around here are total knobs..... its sad, but its all about generating revenue--unfortunately, while these jokers are sitting in an alley eating their donuts and flashing their radar guns, the real criminals are literally getting away with murder.......
Chicagokitejumping

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 01:08 AM

The problem with the second class police from forest preserve in Schamumburg is lack of education and loser mentality thats why they bother the people that just telling the kiters dont do sports there until they going to the court and start mumbelling

Why those Police dont worry about the Drugs problems that forest preserve has in the restroom there ? Or the cars parking in the forest preserve doing cocaine and heroine ? That everybody know who are they ..And dont bother the kitters ? This is a big joke , these polices and president of forest preserve should be fire or no re elected ....

Now with the snowmobiles all forest preserve is destroy the grass with gas and oil is really bad ...but they paid for destroy forest preserve with the snowmobile .thats what is important .the kiters dont pay.

English is my second lenguaje , misspelling

Peter Lynn Charger 12.0
Blokart V3
Neo 11.0
Crossfire II 6,5
Beamer 3,6
MBS Pro 95
MBS PRO 90
MBS COMP 90
Ozone Flow 5.0
Ozone Access 8.0 XT
Flysurfer Unity 12
Montana V- 9.5
Blokart V-3
NAPKA Member US97
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 23-1-2012 at 01:35 AM

Our experience here with cops which is totally unrelated to kiting but might help - if they're quoting ordinances and laws at you, ask them to get the exact numbers so your lawyer can check it out. That usually shuts them up for long enough to then suggest they could connect with their supervisor back at police HQ who should be able to help them out.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio