Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 18 - 14m Vio kite
Bladerunner
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 17-10-2010 at 12:36 PM
18 - 14m Vio kite

I am actually going to sell this one but thought a review would be worthwhile.

My camera is on loan so unfortutely no pictures.

Voi was a Japanese company that came at things with a bunch of unique ideas. They never took off but we were fortunate enough to have a set of 3 at one point.

Voi made kites that would ZIP up in the middle making 2 sizes. Closed cell and depower. They placed the inlets almost 1/3 back under the canopy so they stay well out of the water. They worked well. The kite filled fast with no problem in only 3-5mph winds . I discovered when packing up that the dirt outs were open . The relief vents and dirt outs are old school velcro.

They Bridle system is a bit bulky by todays standards. This kite had no depower strap but a series of knots to adjust depoer. A single line turns into a Y on the front. The safety is an independant 4th line to one wingtip. The bar and lines are huge ! I was past 1/2 way up out field rolling out the lines with a minimal downwind buffer. 30m lines I would guess?

This kite lit up and flew early but at very little more than 5mph I didn't want to ride on the Coyote + wet grass with it. Simply pulling in the bar would lift me. Roland took it for a spin on the ATB. It flew well but turns slow. Some tip tuck that I'm sure was mostly due to the open dirt outs .

In it's 18m form the kite is already pretty low aspect . When I zipped it to 14m it was about the shortest widest kite I have seen. I took it out for a short ride . In the 14m mode it felt heavy and slow but the monster pull was gone. It seemed like you would zip it down to this size strictly to get home safe and wasn't a lot of fun to fly.

They wind stayed at about 5mph and I think I had more fun trying like heck to work some power out of my 15m Charger than I did feeling scared under that 18m canopy?

This is a very interesting well made kite that produces massive power in very low winds. It was designed to please water kiters and I think it's out on the water this design should shine ! Those set back vents seem brilliant and I wonder why no one else has done it ? The 2 sizes in one ???

Kites: 2.5m Profoil , Quadrifoil XL kitesurfer, NPW 5 Danger.
Flexifoil: 1.7m Sting, 4.9m Blade 3, 9m Blade 2.
Flysurfer : 19m Speed 2 SA, 7m Pulse
Peter Lynn :18m Phantom, 15m Synergy, 10m Synergy, 1200 Farc, 460 Sarc, 130 Tarc, 5m Peel, 4.2m , 6.4, 8.5 C-Quads, 3.5 LS2 single skin.

Rides: Flexi / P.L. Frankin'Buggy , Shaped + straight skiis, sand skis, Coyote blades. Core 95 ATB. RKB R2 ATB .

Ken (K2)
windzup

Mood: No Mood.

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 07:23 PM

Yes, these are personal older kites, just looking to move them to someone who might appreciate them :)
erratic winds
Posting Freak

Mood: ATGATT! Armor up!

[*] posted on 21-2-2013 at 07:25 AM

whoops windzup got their threads confused...

super cool looking kite, would love to see one in person...

Tide? What's a tide? Man, it's 1000 miles to any ocean.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio