Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hq kite harness opinions
Highwind

[*] posted on 18-10-2010 at 01:48 PM
hq kite harness opinions

Hi,
am new to kite sports and want to take out my Rush III 350 pro (trainer) this winter for snow kiting (skiing). Although I think it is not necessary, I might want to get a harness and am not sure which one to pick. It should be possible to use the harness for kite surfing later.
I was looking at the HQ Harness. Anyone using that? What are your opinions? Problems?

Also what else would I need in addition? Link Line/chicken loop?

Any advice apprechiated. Thanks

HQ Rush III 350 Pro
awindofchange
Posting Freak

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 18-10-2010 at 05:42 PM

The HQ harness is good, but the Ozone Access SB harness seems to be the one that all of our riders are raving about. Great harness for the buggy or for snow / land boarding.

Highwind

[*] posted on 18-10-2010 at 06:33 PM

But can the Ozone Access SB harness also be used for kitesurfing?

HQ Rush III 350 Pro
Kamikuza
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 18-10-2010 at 06:35 PM

I think you could Highwind but it wouldn't be my first choice ... if you're going to get a harness for the water as well, spend the money on a decent one.

Yeah... I got a kite. Or two...
flash

[*] posted on 18-10-2010 at 06:36 PM

You don't really need a chicken loop for the Rush Pro's, That is really only meant for depower kites. This is a 'static trainer'. I would suggest if you don't have it there is an attachment (may of come with your kites) that slides over the bar and creates a hook in for a bar like this into a harness.

The HQ Harnesses are best suited for buggy's, snowkiting it's not bad but make sure you get a size that fits easily OVER your snowpants. Since it is a 'diaper style' there are pro's and con's to using it in snowkiting. Same goes for out on the water. I would say for starting, get out with your Rush and your ski's/snowboard and make sure you have the kite killer attached. See how it feels and see how far you go. Then let go and see how everything reacts when the kite loses power. After that look into purchasing a harness and going to a depower kite. i.e. the Montana IV or V or the Apex II or III for snowkiting. (if you want to stay with the HQ side)

Once you start really taking off in Snowkiting you are going to have to have the following : Harness, Depower Kites, good solid gloves, helmet. I suggest you have a leash (this is debated in the community, honestly I have it in the backcountry but I also don't use it all the time) and you look into an impact vest or something similar if you plan on getting into freestyle tricks.

Hope that helps.... oh... and you should make a pilgramage to one of the snowkite events even you don't plan on competing :) There is usually tons of beer and good swag!

Beamer IV 1.4m, 2.0m, 4.0m, 5.0m
Crossfire 3.0m, 4.0m, 6.5m
Prodigy 6.0m
Neo II 8.0m, 11.0m
Apex III all of \'em
Montana V 9.5m, 12.5m,
Montana VI 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m
canuck

[*] posted on 18-10-2010 at 10:30 PM

I have used and enjoyed my HQ seat harness from day1 - landboard/coyotes, snow & water - lots of adjustment in the leg straps to go over the snowpants and impact shorts. Never any pressure on the family jewels. Only thing I miss is on the spreader bar - it needs a crossbar welded on the hook to attach your strop quick release pulley to and I had to add a leash ring.

flash has great advice. You will end up with more kites. You can last all day hooked into a harness, but do it safely. If you pick up a fixed bridle with handles search "strop" and "wichard" on the forum for info on how to safely connect handles to a harness.

Let it snow. Have fun crusin' with the wind.

FB: Pro Foil 5.5m, PL Reactor II 3.5m, Radsail 3m
Depower: GIN Shaman 12m & 6m, Shaman2 9m (incoming), PL Venom II 13m, Venom I 10m

HQ Powerkites seat harness
Salomon snowblade 90, straight & shaped skis
PL Comp ST buggy, MBS Comp 16 Pro, Coyote All Terrain Rollerblades
BodyGlove wakeskis
Highwind

[*] posted on 19-10-2010 at 08:22 AM

thanks, I am still a little confused about the accessories needed.

The Rush Pro has a control bar (no handles) and is a 3 line kite. It seems to me that I have two options?
1. attach the bar to the harness via a Control Bar Harness Strap, HQ (D-loop, with safety release)
like http://www.coastalwindsports.com/servlet/the-178/HQ-Harness-...

2. there seems to be a second option to put a "trim loop" on the bar in a way that allows to apply tension on the saftey line to "brake" (this is not de-powering, but looks similar).
I am not really sure what I would need to get for that to work?

Also I noticed that there are two different harnesses from HQ, one for the Buggy (I don't mean that) and one that is designed for land and sea (art no: 120565).
Are there any other harnessses that work well both for water and snow?

thanks.

HQ Rush III 350 Pro
flash

[*] posted on 19-10-2010 at 08:30 AM

ah yes, that clears some stuff up, I thought you were looking at the buggy specific harness. To me it seemed to have to much uhm.... 'scooping camber' (ha, not sure what to call it) that didn't really sit right for landboarding. The other one, well, I haven't had a chance yet to ride with it.

and yes, number 1 is the attachment I was talking about. That is going to be the easiest for you to work with. As far as number 2 you can always try adjusting the brake line at the kite before you fly and see what it does. That might be easier for you to get used to then a trim strap.

Hope that helps.

Flash

Beamer IV 1.4m, 2.0m, 4.0m, 5.0m
Crossfire 3.0m, 4.0m, 6.5m
Prodigy 6.0m
Neo II 8.0m, 11.0m
Apex III all of \'em
Montana V 9.5m, 12.5m,
Montana VI 7.5m, 9.5m, 12.5m
acampbell
Posting Freak

Mood: Digging Deserts and Mts.

[*] posted on 19-10-2010 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Highwind

Are there any other harnessses that work well both for water and snow?

thanks.

The Mystic Blazer Snowkite harness is a popular choice that is at home on the water if you like a seat harness. the mesh liner that is intended to resist the caking up of snow does the same for sand. Just about any harness that is good on water is just as fine on snow. Sometimes sizing is an issue if you are wearing over a snow suit but some wear the harness underneath. The Blazer has a longer hoof for this reason.

Angus Campbell
Coastal Wind Sports
where life is better when it blows!
912-577-3920 new number

Find out about Jekyll Island

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio