Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2m Ozone Flow
rtz
Posting Freak

[*] posted on 7-11-2010 at 09:02 PM
2m Ozone Flow

Great kite for "high winds". When I was out, it was 15, 20, 25, maybe even with 30mph gusts. When the wind is blowing; the kite is bliss. When it lulls; your stranded if on a buggy. Just not enough pulling power in light wind conditions.

This kite can have extreme and tremendous power if the wind is there. I've got backwards on a turn and it got behind me and promptly removed me from the back of the buggy(pilot error).

I wouldn't feel comfortable training someone new to kiting with this kite. I weigh 150 lbs and I have had this kite drag me across a field back when I first got it(kite killers removed "cause they got in the way"(I was new)).

I've been extremely impressed with the build quality and toughness of the materials of this kite. It has been through a lot. All the trials and errors of my newbie learning curve. It's wound up in trees. It crashed in some rocks. I had it scrubbing an asphalt street nose down on the vents. It's been wrapped around a steel cable. It's dive bombed the ground numerous times with enough sound and impact to think it would have blown apart the seams. Can't even tell it's been through any of that. I'll never sell this kite.

I got my basic kite flying skills on a 1.4m "Go Fly a Kite" Parastunter. It took quite a few impacts to the ground. Then I moved onto this kite. It's just got to much power to hand over to someone who has never flown before and have them learn on it. Maybe if your in extremely light wind, with no chance of a gust, and you don't mind them slamming it into the ground repeatedly. The kite is still a beast power wise though. You'd be surprised by the power for such a "small" kite.

Here's a tip for landing it. Land it with extreme intent and desire. Really put the brakes on and alternate the brake pressure to keep the kite level on descent. For the longest time; I'd get it half way down to where it was in the max power part of the window and it would rocket up full power. I can land it right through that now. Sure; I've read about the edge of the window; but I always have trouble with the kite rolling across the ground until it gets to where it wants to be the times I've landed it at the edge of the window.

Here is a pic of two, 2m Flows parked on the ground next to a 4.5m Imp(good pulling power, but a slow kite, real slow on the turns).

Just for nostalgia. Great trainer for someone who has never flown a power kite.

I suppose with the 2m Flow for training; sure, the kite killer option. But do you want it being crashed hard repeatedly? Even if it will take it; I just don't like crashing kites.

Sting 1.7, 2.4 - Flow 2, 3, 4, 5 - Reactor 2.2, 2.8, 3.5, 4.4, 5.5 - Yakuza 2.2, 2.7 - JOJO 9
Maven454
Posting Freak

Mood: I has a grumpy.

[*] posted on 8-11-2010 at 03:37 AM

I've handed a Flow to several people as the first time that they've flown a power kite and they've never had any issues. You do have to remember that they are a power kite, producing power is what they're intended for. You don't want to hand it to them for the first time in the same kind of winds that you'd be buggying with it, that's for sure, but it's an excellent kite to learn on. I enjoy static flying my 2m.

The Flow is a pretty tough kite, you're right about that. They'll take quite a beating.

Just in case you're unaware, that's the previous model Imp that you have. The new model is a bit faster.

"I gave up on wind speeds... its either crappy, gravy, epic, or stupid... in that order"
--Drewculous

Ozone: Imp III Quattro 1m and 1.5m, Flow 2m, 3m, 4m, and 5m.
NAPKA# US454
awindofchange
Posting Freak

Mood: Awesome - totally awesome

[*] posted on 8-11-2010 at 11:58 AM

The Flow is my high wind kite and works excellent. The build quality and performance that Ozone produces is amazing.

As for high wind landing. I agree with you that landing the kite on the edge is not always the best way as the kite can (will) roll back down to the center of the window and relaunch on you. There is another way to land the kite instead of trying to back the kite down through the window in strong/gusty winds. If you are tired or if the winds are just spankin' crazy, instead of trying to back the kite down to land, fly the kite high in the window (zenith) and then put both handles together in one hand and quickly reach out with the other hand and grab a handful of brake line (at least 2 feet worth) and then pull the brake lines in hard while letting the handles out. This will kill the entire kite and it will flap around a little until it settles onto the ground. The kite will have zero power/pull and as long as you keep the brake lines pulled in that far it will never power back up. Once the kite lands you can then release the brake lines in your hand while keeping tension on them at the handles and sort out any issues. Try this in lighter winds first so you can know how it works. Also, when grabbing the brake lines with your hand, do NOT wrap the lines around your hand (for obvious reasons), instead just pull them in hard and the kite will collapse.

This method is super easy to do and can be done on nearly any fixed bridle kite if the winds come up out of nowhere. I have killed my 12 meter Yakuza GT this way several times when I have been out buggying with it and the winds picked up to much. I do find that I use this method more on smaller kites than the big ones though.

Hope this helps.

Go To Top

Hosted by: Mad Moose Studio